Thinking to upgrade my late 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by riblau, Mar 2, 2017.

1. riblau

riblau Member

So I'm looking at a new, 13 inch macbook as I want something smaller due to doing more travelling around with work.

Size aside, my current macbook is a late 2011 15 inch and I'm wondering if the new one will actually be better performance wise as I really went all out on specs when I got my current one. The reason I'm asking is I checked a few benchmarks on mac benchmarks https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks and my current laptop beats the new one in 'multi core' but not in 'single core'.

I've got an SSD in the 15 inch and the specs are:
    2.2ghz Quad Core i7 - 2675QM
    8gb Ram 1333mhz
    6750 gfx card (512mb)
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...2-15-late-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

The latest 13 inch model that I would buy is:
    SSD
    2.9ghz Dual Core i5
    8gb Ram 2133mhz
    Iris 550 Gfx
    http://www.apple.com/au/macbook-pro/specs/

So my questions are:

1. Would day to day computer activities be faster on the mac
    2. Would it be faster in bootcamp
    3. Would it game as well, better or worse (Mac or bootcamp - I mainly use Steam or Blizzard games and am reasonably happy on my current laptop)

2. riblau

riblau Member

bump... Anyone?

3. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

at a wild guess.. single threaded will be slightly faster on the new machine.. multiple threaded stuff will with slower on the new machine.

Disk access will be much faster..
    Video will be around the same..

None of this is based on any evidence. but just a hunch..

Basically you are gaining portability and battery life and a nicely screen..

4. tuz

tuz Member

there has not been any real significant power output changes in the MBP line up since the initial retina release.
    I recently sold my 2.7ghz i7 Mid 2012 Retina and built a Gaming PC which has about 5x the power as previously and spent only $300 over the selling price of the MBP.

5. alexc

alexc Member

Very hard to work out isnt it :)

I'm in a similar boat - 13" 2011 i7.

You could try putting 16GB of RAM in the current 15? A very cheap upgrade and made a big difference to the performance and feel of mine.

Especially as even with an SSD the disk I/O of SATA in the older MBP's is much slower than the new ones with a soldered SSD's.

6. epo299

epo299 Member

Im still using a MBP 2012 model.. Put an SSD and 16Gb of RAM it still does the job. Running MacOS and a Windows 10 Virtual machine. The only reason i could think of upgrading its the fans get noisey in summer and its sometimes hot to touch. For general use i cannot see much of a performance boost on a new Mac. My partner has a 2015 MBP. Its smaller and thinner. Touchpad and keyboard feel better but speedwise i dont notice any difference.

7. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Just make sure you get the ram and ssd size correct.
    From what I hear, the 2017 version have it soldered than glued on as measure to dissuade self upgrading.

8. Hater

Hater Member

Can the Sandy Bridge ones take 16GB RAM? My Ivy bridge one does. OS X flies. Mines a quad 3632QM though, unsure how much quicker that is compared to the 2675QM.

I'd stick with the 2011 for another reason - If it's not a Retina, you can ditch the optical drive and run a second, large HDD.

I have no idea what i'll ever upgrade to, the new systems just aren't.... Pro enough for me.

9. DarkMeLo

DarkMeLo Member

Isn't gaming or any 'professional' on a 13 inch a no go? I mean they're stuck with dual core. I've never heard of or even seen a dual core i7 until the 13" macbook "pro". Not sure how Dell puts a proper quadcore and a gtx 1050ti in a 'not too far off' footprint. Not to mention macbook pros have been going up in price every year.

But I'm still the biggest apple slave even with the most cynical attitude towards them :upset:.

10. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

My clunky old work laptop - HP Ultrabook has a dual core Ivybridge i7, they're not exactly a new beast.

11. Zee

Zee Member

the 13" "Pro' should have been the new "Air", and no one would have batted an eyelid...

Z...

12. DarkMeLo

DarkMeLo Member

Yeah, and things are worse with the 'macbook' which costs the same as a baseline pro. I seriously can't tell if the 'macbook' is overpriced or the 'pro' is rubbish. I think most likely both....

I miss the days where baseline 13 inch pros were sub $1400~$1500. Apple was so good back then. You got so much for the money; the hardware, the support, and the quality for the time.

Now the iPhone 7+ 256gb costs $1500+. Obviously currency plays a big part here, but seriously, $2000 for a dual core with 128gb and 8gb ram? Somebody PLEASE tell me I'm not the only here that thinks this is simply wrong :mad:.

Oh and TWO ports.

13. Zee

Zee Member

I don't get the point of the Macbook. It is significantly more expensive than an Air, and is lower specced in just about every way (except the screen). It's no wonder the Macbook Air is still on sale a year after it was supposed to be retired. Should be a hint....

Actually, I'm wondering if it's Apple's way of shifting people to iPads. Remove enough functionality, add enough $$$ to the price, and make the iPad Pro look to be the ideal replacement. And if people really want those stupid outdated clunky notebook things, well, they just have to pay!
    Z...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017