[TUTORIAL] 2D Design With Solid Edge

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bastard Child, May 22, 2011.

1. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. Clacker

Clacker Member

Thanks for that, needed an early morning laugh!

I tried comp mode with admin rights and it worked...unchecked both and it still worked??

Anyways, looking good now so eager to start messing around in it.

Thanks again for the time you've spent on this for us plebs.

3. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

20k views? Man you guys are slow learners... I mean er... thanks for reading and shit, yeah :thumbup:

Here's one of the latest little jobs I've done - fitting a servo motor to a Harley.

Holding it in place (plus some rubber blocks):
    [​IMG]

Getting a couple of key dimensions down:
    [​IMG]

Rough mock-up in SolidWorks (3D) to get angles and lengths set (easier than doing it in 2D):
    [​IMG]

Cardboard Mk1:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Don't worry about water compromising the load bearing of cardboard, Harley guys don't ride in the rain :lol:

Refine it for Mk2:
    [​IMG]

Refine the shape to Mk3 for DXF and laser cutting (SolidWorks can blow goats in some aspects, so I still use simple 2D sketching to refine outlines):
    [​IMG]

3 chances to not fuck it up @ $5-$8 each in 304 stainless:
    [​IMG]

Off to the magnabend:
    [​IMG]

One bend the old fashioned way - hammer and a vice:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And we're done:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Headlamp clips for mounting:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And the final install:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Tidy work, nice. Thanks for the reminder about this tute thread too, I got distracted by other things and never finished working through it after you posted the OP (I know, I know.... ungrateful bastidges :p).
    Bookmarked it now.

Out of interest, what was the servo for?
    Looks rather large to be part of a cruise control system, which is about all I can think of.
    But I don't know bikes that well. Or large servos/actuators for that matter, I've only mucked around with dinky RC stuff.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  5. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

Cruise control servo. That tube represents over a year of my life's work :sick:

6. oculi

oculi Member

can you elaborate on this a bit? i'm using draftsight for my 2D at the moment but it's a bit janky, it's almost like autocad (which is horrible) but slower, considering giving solidedge2D a go.

7. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

From the hazy depth of my memory (I use solidworks for my stuff, not 'edge)...

When you FILE > SAVE your work in Windows it just overwrites your existing file.

What if you want to make a copy with a new name? You would go FILE > SAVE AS > NEWNAME.EXT

But from what I recall, this is disabled in the free version of 'Edge so you have to manually make duplicates of your work in Windows Explorer.

If you accidentally overwrite your original template file it's gone for good.

8. AntikytheraBB

AntikytheraBB Member

how much does it cost to get something laser / water cut like bastard child did for his harley bracket a few posts back?

I have a very basic HDD cage design I made in SketchUp. i plan to make it out of 0.95mm sheet steel. it would be much nicer if i didnt have to hand cut it.

9. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

You'll find every place has a minimum charge, newtouch laser in Melbourne charges us $80. This seems about the typical amount.

We typically get $300-$400 worth of stuff at a time. I'll post a pic in a few days when the next delivery comes.

Also be aware if you get a few things cut of different thickness/material you'll probably get charged a change of sheet fee. Newtouch are about $20-$30 for this.

10. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

11. arcanic_soul

arcanic_soul Member

Out of curiosity Bastard Child, do you have a Press Brake at your work or do you get your jobs bent at New Touch with their Trumpf?

12. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

We have a magnabend™ and some stuff gets bashed with a nylon or ball peen hammer.

13. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member