USB issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Razorz, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Razorz

Razorz Member

Hey guys,

Had a friend hand me their usb the other day wondering why it wouldn't work anymore. I opened it up and found the memory floating around in the case. See below. I initially tried just pushing the memory against the contacts to see if it would read on the computer. It did for all of 2 seconds and but wouldn't transfer the files... When I had a look at it, it seems a few of the metal pins are missing from the mainboard... so its not making contact properly..

The info is valuable so I'm trying to get it off for them.

[​IMG]

Should I shave all the pins off and see if just bluntly pushing the memory onto the mainboard contacts will do it... or grab an identical usb and somehow remove that one's memory and hope none of the contacts go with it.

Thanks,

Any experience/help would be great :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I knew USB drives got hot, but I didn't know they got that hot!

I'd try to clean it up with some fresh solder and solder braid first; often the dull pads are actually intact. You can do the same on the chip itself. Unfortunately resoldering could be difficult; you'll have to re-ball the chip first.

3. Razorz

Razorz Member

Thanks for your reply mate. I've never had to solder something so so small before. So I need to remove all the little stand offs on the usb mainboard and then solder braid over all the contacts on the chip and mainboard - squish them together and hope for the best ? haha