wanting a triple monitor stand

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by jbates58, Sep 3, 2017.

1. jbates58

jbates58 Member

hi all.

im looking to get a triple monitor stand or desk mount. would perfer mounted to the back of the desk.

want to use it to hold 3 27" displays. first time i have looked into this, so not sure what is good, and what is crap.

and pointers?

Jason

2. jbates58

jbates58 Member

also, not wanting to spend a fortune either.

3. davo-cc

davo-cc Member

For 3x27's it's going to be more difficult unless you're willing to shell out more coin. Most of the cheaper tri-arm systems are pretty limited to 24" screens only, I've heard of people buying what was quoted to support 3x27's and it ended up that they could only really be aligned in a flat plane - they couldn't do the wrap-around that you're probably wanting. I can't be sure if this is consistent for all brands (also bezel sizes will have an impact) but it's risky. More expensive arms (e.g. the really huge 3-arm arrangements with gas systems) are usually safer but VASTLY more expensive; well into several hundred dollars.

Would you consider 3 single arms instead? It's not as neat on the desk but it's far more flexible. This is also more useful down the track if you switch, for example, to ultra-wide screens - just re-position them. It also lets you get something far cheaper, in my configuration I used three single arms for three screens (these are independent screens so my configuration is different) but it let me put in a simple, allen-key adjustable configuration that easily moves the screen back and forth (height is allen key adjusted and there's a bit of tilt on the head section). These arms were £15 each (I'm in the UK), they're the Von Haus brand; I believe some ebay sellers sell them in Oz as well (I got mine through Amazon).

I have one supporting the very heavy Dell 2405FPW, it's a 2006 era LCD screen with CFL backlighting - weighs about 8kg, works well on these things (they're rated to 8.5kg I think). Moving the screen all the way forward doesn't dip or make it unstable, the arms are remarkably stable.

4. jbates58

jbates58 Member

cheers mate, i ended up scoring an avara DS310 from a local store of a total steal, so i went with that.

Cheers

Jason

5. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I have a similar question, but for a dual monitor setup, which should open the options somewhat.

I'd want them angled to each other rather than in a flat plain.
    Main idea is to reclaim some of my (limited) desk space, so one of those that clamps to the back of the desk is probably what I'm after.

So are there good inexpensive dual arms setups like that or am I better off with two separate ones as per davo-cc's suggestion?

(just checked Von Haus on ebay and there are only two listings.... a single powered one for nearly $500 or a unpowered tripe one for $211. Both are ex-UK.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017