War Thunder

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Frenchpom, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

War Thunder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQkU-zNMeVU

A new MMO centred around WW2 planes. In open beta now and quite polished. It's very good, I've become quite hooked. Think World of Tanks, just based in the air.

Servers are still all based in the EU and US, but surprisingly there's bugger all lag. Plays very well. Will be going Free to Play once out of the Beta stage.

A 6 gig or so download, but well worth it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

Direct competitor to WoWP and absolutely blows it away.

3. r8response

r8response Member

There is no US server at the moment. It's EU and RU. But even with 400+ ping it still plays alot better than WoWP

Direct competitor to WoWP/WoT/WoBS

Unlike Wargamings three separate efforts, War Thunder will include all three branches into one game.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Dammit, is the Youtube embed working for everyone else? I fail at this... :thumbdn:

5. r8response

r8response Member

Doesn't seem to hard.

6. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

^ Thankyou :thumbup:

I'm seriously hooked on this. Great classical score, great graphics, great effects, and most importantly, heaps of fun.

Anyone who hasn't given it a crack yet, I thoroughly recommend it.

7. mtma

mtma Member

Is there a non-installer download (i.e just the whole thing in one go) available for the beta?

8. r8response

r8response Member

Download their launcher and there will be a grey button allowing you to get a torrent to download it in one go.

The launcher download was rather slow for me :(

9. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

The launcher download varied in speed for me. Ended up taking all about about 3 hours for me...

10. Moochin_Bastard

Moochin_Bastard Member

Just got it but won't let me login to the game.

Error 80130183: "Authorization error, please try again"

Nothing on the forums about that error code :(

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  11. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

That's strange? Quick idiot check, are you copy and pasting the password that was emailed to you after registration?

12. WRC

WRC Member

Going to download this. I must relive my childhood memories of the movie Black Sheep and the F4 Corsairs....

13. Moochin_Bastard

Moochin_Bastard Member

Yeah it was the password, I thought I made my own. Didn't even read the email they sent me till I was like wtf. Did all the tutorials and just had my first game and I got owned lol, my planes are so shit compared to everyone elses. When is tanks and that coming into it also?

14. solid_snake

solid_snake Member

Been playing for the past couple of hours, soooooo much fun

Starter planes are terrible though, i'm looking forward to getting a spitfire

Tally Ho!

15. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

It starts getting a lot more fun once you get some better planes. My biggest gripe with the starter aircraft is their lack of punch. Two MG's just doesn't cut it!

16. hoiquai

hoiquai Member

The russian starter planes start with 4 mg's, but in general if you're just starting I find that load up one of your starter planes with bombs, I think all nations have at least one starter with bombs and go after ground targets and other bi-planes.

You can shoot up other fighters as well, take advantage of your lower stalling speed and smaller turning circle/maneuverability.

Don't bother with pillboxes unless you have at least a 500kg bomb. :tongue:

Don't forget to allocate crew points, they go up exponentially so initially its better to spread them out.

17. onrelas

onrelas Member

This is a great game. Only just started so I have no idea what I'm doing, but I've managed to get some kills in the beginner planes. Got a few "assist" achievements also because my guns are so weak and can't finish the job most of the time. Levelling seems to be slow which can be frustrating but the game is so much fun it doesn't really matter. Looking forward to being able to modify some planes soon.
    I wonder how the tank and boat combat will develop. The whole project seems quite promising.

18. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Good call on the crew points. I really need to read a wiki or something on this game... I'm generally rolling with either the Brit's or the US. Quite like the Hurricane and Beaufort bomber.

19. Adarti

Adarti Member

Im having fun with this game. Reached lvl 5, got some good planes from the USA side. using the Wildcat and getting some kills.

Came across someone with the Mig 15 jet. Luckily he was on my side.;)

20. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Yeah jet's usually mean a quick death... I want some cannons. Sick of getting two shotted by cannon wielding russian planes lol. Don't forget guys you can change the weapon loadout for each of your aircraft. Can put 2 x 250lb bombs on your hurri mk2 for example. Whilst it takes about 5 minutes for them to reload, is still good to help take a few enemy tanks out before heading back to the air war :thumbup: