What do you think the next major advancement will be in the next 50 years?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Danske, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Danske

Danske (Taking a Break)

Hi all,

What do you guys think will be the human race's next major advancement within the next say ~50 years? And what would you like to be our next major advancement (if not listed below or what you think will be)?

Just some thoughts:
    - Medical, cure to diseases etc
    - Energy, renewable, fusion etc
    - Tech., AI/AGI, robotics, singularity etc
    - Space, space travel, planet travel etc
    - Science, finding Higgs, finding dark matter, confirm/deny SUSY, etc

Or do you believe it won't be one massive thing, but progressive increments.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  2. WackOh

WackOh Member

i dont think there will be major advancements till we make the next major breakthrough in elemental discoveries, i dont know that much on the matter but for example i will always remember my year 12 physics teacher saying we have pretty much exhausted all possibilities in terms of combining materials/elements in an attempt to create room temperature superconductors and nothing will progress on the issue till we somehow discover something completely radically game changing

similarly, i think the major breakthrough in science will be to do with superconduction, especially with rising energy demands worldwide and wanting to do what we can to conserve energy all the while, but like i said, perhaps we need to discover that magical new element with magical properties :D

in terms of medical, i believe that as much as we have made great leaps and achievements in the area, greed will always get in the way of providing it to the world. sure we have eradicated many diseases such as small pox, but we have also introduced so many more due to our actions for 'development' and 'modernity'. new emerging diseases are so rampant these days in developing countries such as AIDs and malaria ravage entire populations. not to mention the never ending battle against antibiotic resistant bacterial strands, i think the battle against microbes will be never ending

space travel, way more than 50 years imho

robotics? so much potential i cant even get my thoughts together to put it down here lol but im sure many would agree

3. IKT

IKT Member

nanobots and nanobot like things.

4. Danske

Danske (Taking a Break)

Yeah nanotech and nanobots will be amazing.

Watch "Transcended Man" if you're interesting in human/tech stuff :).

5. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Sustainable/renewable/alternate energy is pretty much mandatory. Even if it's not completed within 50 years, we'll have to start seeing some genuine advances in the tech...

Same goes for space flight I guess. I know not much is happening now, and doubt there will be a major milestone in the next 50 years, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't major advancements (possibly in line with the energy above)

Would also like to see a couple of medical breakthroughs. Cancer is the obvious one, but even a better treatment for diabetes would be pretty major.

6. |guanA

|guanA Member

I think Quantum Computing and Nano Technology will see major breakthroughs in the next 50 years.

I've been reading up and watching much stuff about these two sciences, and it seems good progression has been made so far, and there is a lot of real world potential for both plus a lot of what i've seen is pretty achievable for us given 50 years for time and research.

Space travel at any sorts of speeds that is practical is still pretty much in the realm of sci-fi at this point and I think will be over the next 50 years.

I don't know enough about medical science to determine what could happen there. I get this impression that the cure for cancer has always been just over the horizon, but it's been like this for the past 20 years, sure enough that treatment of cancer has advanced dramatically during this period, but a cure? I don't think we'll get there any time soon.

A lot of the stuff that will discovered or finally proven at the LHC will most likely take place but while they would major breakthroughs in our understanding of the universe, they won't really be much practical application for them, maybe in 200 years!

EDIT: Nuclear fusion is probably another area that will see advancement in 50 years but still not enough time yet for practical use.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  7. PhantomAU

PhantomAU Member

Discovery of extra terrestrial life.. when they nuke us to stop us spreading elsewhere in the galaxy.

8. OnyxElite

OnyxElite Member

woops wrong thread..........

random post is random.

9. Tabris

Tabris Member

In 50 years? Hmm.. 50 Isn't as much as it sounds..

High temperature (potentially room temp.. maybe) superconductors. Brain/Machine interfaces becoming considerably more advanced. Quantum computing beginning to make its way into personal devices. Mass production ability for carbon nanotubes.

Fusion will be 50 years away.

Medicine not so sure, probably more advanced genomic treatments, improved disease detection and analysis (Earths Field MRI devices)

Space, I would like to think a permanent Mars station (or Martian Moon) by then, visitation to several asteroids. Low earth orbit civilian station and flourishing civilian space tourism and service.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I pray to god it'll be batteries or some other small/portable source of power.

Right now that's holding back so many things, and it's a technology that's been really slow to change compared to so many other things in the tech sector.

People are playing with rapid-charge, slow-release capacitor bays and all sorts of things. So far they're looking good. I read about one mob out of a US university who had a capacitor bay about 1 foot cubed in size that could be charged in 20 minutes, and would run a standard laptop for a week. Their initial design was three times as large, so clearly sizes are on the way down, but not small enough yet for commercial application.

We seem to be doing more and more things on small/portable/mobile devices, but we're all still slaves to batteries that need overnight charging. There's a tonne of things from cars to medical equipment to emergency services that could all do with better batteries and mobile power sources.

11. Jacom

Jacom Member

I think the next major advance will be fusion, but I'd hope we can get anti-gravity ( and also artificial gravity ) technology up and running.

12. Danske

Danske (Taking a Break)

Definietly agree with the battery/power cell tech. a breakthrough is really needed!

And the reason why I said 50 years is because it's within our life time (maybe not if you're 50 now).

13. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

Fusion is always 50 years away :lol:

Test tube meat. Tissue grown in labs intead of on animals.

14. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Did someone say nano?
    I'm doing my Honours project through the UoW at their Intelligent Polymer Research Institute (IPRI) campus
    http://ipri.uow.edu.au/

They're doing some really exciting things. Everything from superconductor/capacitor work, through to bionics applications.

The people I work with in my immediate group are focused on nano-bionics, and work closely with Graeme Clarke with the Cochlear Institute.
    They're currently developing ways to add more sensors to the Cochlear implant to improve from 20 sensors, to upwards of 1000.

Just one example.

15. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

i doubt space travel will go anywhere ... we will have problems feeding the world imho given how fast the population is growing... and that will bring issues along with it... which i think we will need breakthroughs in every field of science.

16. power

power Member

Aug's Deus Ex style.

17. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

The biggest advancement in the next 50 years?

It will be splitting water efficiently
    implementation of fuel cells in cars
    genetic cloning of extinct species of plants
    a more efficient use of the rural australian land
    a shift to nuclear energy worldwide

and most importantly,

implanted passports, credit cards, mobile phones, etc etc.

mark my words.

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I think once the mineral companies bleed earth dry, the concept of space travel will get very hot again for commercial reasons.

I'd hope if we're growing organic material in test tubes, that it's for medical reasons. Lord knows I could use a few billion fresh stem cells grown from my own tissue right about now.

Sadly I think you're right. Worldwide paranoia is at an all time high (even worse than the cold war), and now people are starting to profit from it, making the incentive to return to calmness almost non-existent for those in power.

The "big brother" issue is only going to get worse from here.

19. Frostex

Frostex Member

I think nanotech, Biomech, and Power i think will be the fields to see a major breakthrough.

Nanobot the limits are basically endless.
    Biomech should see some paraplegics walking and blind people seeing, maybe even able bodied people "upgrading" limbs
    Power generation and storage i think will have a major breakthrough and some point soon.

20. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

aWhat i think should happen:
    A virus that kills off 60%+ of the world's population originating in india and china and the usa whilst leaving all other wildlife unharmed. Someone buys/destroys apple, shuts it down, someone buys/destroys facebook, shuts it down. But a virus should cure those two things anyway.

What i think will happen:
    Nano/Femto technology used to target illness/unique materials/, digital&mechanical implant interfaced with the brain.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011