'What game is this?' thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Broden, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Broden

Broden Member

Thought I would make this because chances are everyone will be wanting the name of that game they played the hell out of all those years ago.

My query... It was for the Sega Master System. You were this orange frog kind of thing (I think), and you had to run through what was an apartment block kind of thing, entering doors and such to go into new levels. It was a side scrolling game.

This part might be from the same game as well. You were the same character and you had this level where you had to race a green frog over water. You had to skip on it by pressing 1 and 2 really fast to get to the end.

Anyone know what it's called?

2. Krumm

Krumm Member

probably not it, but there was James Pond where you were an orange fish in a 2d sidescrolling game. I don't recall any racing another though.

3. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I am guessing James Pond 1-3. I just fired up 2 on my game gear and it fits the first description.

4. Broden

Broden Member

WOOOOO THAT'S IT.

i have so many stories with that game, aha. thanks guys.

5. iNoob

iNoob Member

Sounds like Frogger if you ask me.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

:lol:

I love the interpretation people have of old video game sprites. Funny stuff. :)

7. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

A cousin of mine showed me a game in the mid 80s that I've often wondered the name of.

It was a Commodore 64 game, non-scrolling platformer. You controlled what I think may have been a dove, going around and collecting stuff. If you fell too far, your character turned orange which meant you weren't going to survive the fall. There were also floor segments that collapsed when you walked on them, so you had to keep running across them, or keep jumping if they were stacked vertically. I remember one of the enemies looked like a small see-saw, tipping up and down as it slid sideways across the floor. You could jump over it. Once you collected all the items on the screen, I think you had to go to a bank safe (???) to complete the level. One stage had the safe at the bottom of a long fall, so you had to make absolutely sure you'd collected everything first because the fall turned you orange.

Anyone know what this game was?

8. samus

samus Member

Ive got a weird one form my C64 days....

It was a space game, and you could go in and out of orbit, one section was in the "cockpit" of a space ship, and you had to shoot red and blue alien ships, then on the "surface it was side on, and you could land on the surface.

No idea other than that, my disk was a bit buggy I think, and never got very far.

DrFrag, the only bird game i remember on C64 was Potty Pigeon, and the orange sprite was the enemy bird that would take your twigs.

Mario.

9. htpcfan

htpcfan Member

10. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

YES! Thankyou! :thumbup:

Wow, it's as hard as I remember. Maybe I haven't been getting better at games; maybe they've just been getting easier.

11. kix

kix Member

This was the best game when I was younger on C64!!

Anyone know of an more explicit game??

12. InsaneFurball

InsaneFurball Member

Bit of a thread bump, but....

Can anybody remember a game on what i think were BBC's (1986 - 1988 era) that involved some wizard dude who stole a bunch of bikes, pulled them apart and you (A blonde girl) had to go along solving puzzles to retrieve the parts? The last level is a bike race if i remember correctly.

I have a vague feeling its called "Bikez" or something, but i can't find it anywhere. Would love to relive my childhood playing that game. It was actually the first game i ever completed.... Granny's Garden was too much for me back then.

13. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

was going to start a thread to ask a question, but since this is going id thought id ask if anyone remembers these games...

Back in the days of either commodore 64, or amiga (cant remember the platform) we had c64 when i was in year 7, but amigas before that...anyway...

These were like text adventure games. One had you escaping from an island before the volcano blew, and there were a couple of others in the same genre.

We used to play these games as long as we were allowed to in class, yet the teacher never gave us long enough to pass the damn things....would love to find them and clock them.

14. Krumm

Krumm Member

I have been trying to find that game for years, for some reason leah's bike always sounded familiar to me but yeh there's no game by that name.

Also if it helps I think there was a race the next day which is why she needed her bike, was educational game when i was in primary school, would love to find out what it was.

15. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Oh man I know what you're talking about, but have no information about them. Jeez, I don't even know where you'd start.

I have a request myself.

Back on Amiga I used to play a little puzzle game. I was like Snake meets Pacman. You have a grid which you're a snake placed within. As you eat an apple from each square, you grow an extra unit in length. The puzzle is to eat all the apples without making a wrong turn and having to eat your tail.

Hmm. I found these listings, but none of them are exactly what I want, but at least it's something to go by
    http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/list.php?list_genre=Arcade&list_sub_genre=Worm/Snake

16. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

yer i search amiga games, but they appear to be too new.

One of the other games had like a mansion with locked gates, and some underground part where you could build a raft or something...?

:upset:

17. InsaneFurball

InsaneFurball Member

Yeah that sounds like the one. One of the only puzzles i remember is being in a garage of some sort with a talking yellow (?) car, and the puzzle revolved around guessing the right chain length to aquire that part.

18. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Here's one:

- SNES
    - Graphics are similar to that of 'Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past'
    - Based on fantasy/medieval themes
    - Protagonist is a warrior with the sprite (avatar) being that similar to 'A Link to the Past's graphics
    - Plot is based on a relic or artifact or something was shattered into about 7 pieces. Playing the protagonist, you had to travel to 7 parallel worlds to retrieve said pieces

Unfortunately I didn't get far into the game so I don't recall the rest.

19. zerosoma

zerosoma Member

20. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Thanks for trying but it looks like I managed to find it anyway.

Terranigma
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVLuA_xye2k

What was also triggering my memory of it as in that video, which depicts the time in game that you meet up with the 'Elder' at the start, the background music sounds rather similar to Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven". It also turns out I was WAY off on the plot :\

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011