What if I don't want the NBN... *shock horror*

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by aokman, Mar 9, 2017.

1. aokman

aokman Member

So story goes that NBN is being rolled out in my area soon and they are rolling out HFC.

Basically I don't want it, I just got a new $300 Fritzbox that would become a paperweight not to mention I don't want to buy new equipment / start a new contract with TPG.

Not to sound like a prick about it but I don't want to support the NBN in any way shape or form really. I am happy with my current monthly cost and my speeds and don't want to deal with NBN congestion issues.

I just don't understand how I can be forced off my current connection which I am still contracted to then told I have to pay for new equipment, pay more per month and start a new contract?

On top of all this, the house doesn't have cable installed and apparently they won't install it in the location where my router is currently setup which is at the opposite end of the house to where the line comes in without paying additional costs.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Are you on ADSL2 now? Once NBN fully covers your area, you'll have about 12 or 18 months (can't recall which) until the copper is shut off, and scalped. So, when that is done, you'll have no copper for ADSL, and no internet, other than NBN.

Maybe look at 4G wireless then?

3. aokman

aokman Member

I am on ADSL2 currently, I don't understand how the copper can be "cut off" when they are 2 technologies that have been running side by side in our area for many years. Just sounds like a bullshit move to push you on to the NBN and pay more.

I don't see how 4G wireless is an alternative. I am happy with my current monthly cost, unlimited data and setup.

4. power

power Member

I hear ya, but it's like when the 2G network gets swithed off and analogue tele went the way of the dodo - tough titties...

5. caspian

caspian Member

I did have a longer reply typed up but yay laptop crash. :(

the bottom line is that you don't have guaranteed access to the copper that carries your service. Telstra are agreeing to cease using it where they are selling their HFC network to NBN, and the government has agreed with that approach.

in terms of your current contract with TPG, I expect you'll find that there's no obligation for them to supply you a service. if they need to terminate your contract, you'll be told, and that's the end of it. equipment is something you provided at your risk.

I don't know much about the technicalities of HFC installation, but I will surmise it has some similarity with FTTP installs, so yes there will be limits as to what you get for a standard free install. if you want something custom it be will at billable rates.

6. BAK

BAK Member

Can set whatever modem is provided by TPG into Bridge mode and let your Fritzbox do the routing etc.
    TPG and most other NBN RSPs have the option to go contractless. TPG is one of the ones that requires a payment (an "install" fee, ~200) if you do go contractless, but there are several out there that just offer you month to month "plans".

7. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

Not with NBN. Just plug your router into the NTU if you have a WAN port on it and set your correct settings, I.e. Static IP/DHCP

I'm using a FortiWifi 60C for my NBN connection and works perfectly fine.

8. Renza

Renza Member

Depends what tech you are on.

FTTP - just plug your router into the NTD and away you go. May require PPPoE for some providers, other IPoE
    FTTN - you'll need a modem with bridge mode if you want to use your existing router
    HFC - Plug your router into the HFC modem and it should work like FTTP.

9. gords

gords Thread Killer

When I moved to the NBN I ended up paying less, because I didn't have to pay $24 per month for a landline I never used. Also went from syncing at about 2mbit/s to 100mbit/s.

10. HSV_Enigma

HSV_Enigma Member

Yes it's either a conspiracy, or a logical choice that they do not want to have to pay the ongoing maintenance costs of 2 side by side technologies

11. Pugs

Pugs Member

what a funny country we live in.. some people complaining they don't want better internet.. and others complaining they can't get decent internet...

12. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Is that actually possible with TPG HFC? AFAIK it's not with iiNet/Internode NBN HFC, which is not really an in-house iiNet/Internode product - it's a wholesale AAPT service, so I imagine the TPG HFC offering is the same - authentication is tied to the Huawei router they supply.
    There should be 18mths to change over, at which point just choose a different provider so you can continue using the Fritzbox?

13. stevenx

stevenx Member

I sympathise - I have no desire to pay for an NBN connection if I can avoid doing so. You're in Melbourne - look into a non-NBN fixed wireless provider, like Uniti Wireless. I don't know if they cover your area - they have a small presence in Melbourne, but they're expanding - but you'll get fast Internet without NBN.

I have a 100/100 business connection with Uniti. The NBN will reach here in late 2018 and by then we'll have had 100/100 for four years. Why change - unless the NBN drastically improve their offering?

14. Renza

Renza Member

Easy enough to clone the MAC address of the huawei router, then toss it in the cupboard to collect dust...

15. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Unlicensed band wifi connections are not the future. A 100/100 plan with Uniti... guessing that's somewhere around $300/mth minimum.
    It looked like it was more concerned about the serial number of the router to me, not the MAC address.

16. Renza

Renza Member

The MAC address is the only thing transmitted when the DHCP request is made (other than the identifiers which are injected by the modem itself). From what i've read, it should work

17. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Righto, I'll take your word for it - I didn't bother messing around enough in the management system for it to see what was what. Unsure what would happen to VoIP then - I assume, similar to Telstra, it will only work properly from the supplied router.

18. aokman

aokman Member

I currently pay $49.95 a month due to a special offer from TPG. If I go to NBN it goes up to $69.99 a month... for the same speeds.

Well it obviously is because I could have coax installed right now or 5yrs ago as its already rolled out in my area... along with normal telephone copper. I fail to see how "rolling out NBN" changes this other than forcing you onto their network so you have to help pay for it.

I do want better internet... I want fibre. I do not like the idea of being forced to support and pay for a substandard network that has already been available in my area for 5yrs+ ! Yes I know the backhauls are upgraded but at the end of the day its the same speed as high speed cable with more congestion issues.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  19. BAK

BAK Member

Let's skip the back and forth and go straight to the "well that escalated quickly", save some time.
    Tough. Labor went to election with FTTP and they lost. Now you're stuck with what the Liberal/NBN team decide you will get - of course you're welcome to shell out for a dedicated fibre connection to your place but you might find it's cost prohibitive.
    Congestion is entirely up to your RSP. If you want uncontested bandwidth, shell out for it.

Change happens. If you don't like it, your options are move, or run for office yourself. Sorry to cut through the bullshit and tell it like it is.

20. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

do you think you wouldn't have the pay the same charges if it were a fibre connection?

so the issue isn't that you don't want NBN or to be forced onto it.
    the issue is you want it to be fibre not something else.