which EK nickel blocks are dodgy? (dont hurt me :))

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by DarkSlayer1666, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkSlayer1666

DarkSlayer1666 Member

at the risk of being hammered for bringing up an old and well-worn topic, im asking this.

QUESTION: Which EK blocks were affected by the nickel plating issue?

Reason why im asking is ive just bought a used 6970 with an EK nickel-acetal block. ive searched and searched and cant find any reference of when the issue was completely resolved.
    Ive read about people having issues with 480 blocks, 4870 blocks, 5870 blocks.
    but nothing on 6970 or any 6900-series blocks.

i havent had the chance yet to open my block and see what the insides are like (i work away so havent even seen the card yet) but i just wanted to find out if there is a chance that my shiny new graphics card may have a potential timebomb attached to it.

2. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

All of them. Ergo facto never buy an EK block again.

3. simm

simm Member

Guaranteed answer #1: All of them, EK quality control is crap. *see above ;)*

Guaranteed answer #2: I have EK blocks and haven't had a problem. *see below :p*

There were definitely problems and EK definitely handled them poorly. They have made some changes to the manufacturing process (EN blocks) but there have been issues with EN labelled blocks too. It seems to have settled down now but that could be because everyone either stopped buying EK gear or started adding corrosion inhibitors to their loops.

I wouldn't call it completely resolved but there hasn't been a new report of failing EK nickel in at least a month or two.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  4. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

FC6970 should be the newer electroless plating, but people have reported failures of those too.

My 5870 nickel/plexi block still looks fine, and it has run swiftech hydrx, distilled water+silver and nulon/tectalloy automotive coolant at various times.... most of its life has been under anti-corrosive coolant (the hydrx/nulon) though, only ran di+silver for a couple of months.

Open it up immediately and check for signs of flaking/pitting/corrosion. If it's pristine, you should be ok as long as you run Liquid Utopia or a similar anti-corrosive treatment, or premixed coolant such as EC6. Avoid straight distilled water+silver.

Note that I said should be ok.... :paranoid:

EDIT:.... yeah..... what ^those guys^ said. :lol:

Even if it does flake that won't affect the performance, just the looks. Most pumps wouldn't like sucking up little bits of nickel though. Maybe PM the seller and ask what coolant he was using, and if he's seen any powdery/flaky residue in his res or toobs.

5. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Theres no 100% answer on which blocks or batch were defective. I've had several EK blocks and they were all 100% fine, even when using nothing but distilled water and silver. Only time and use will tell, but I wouldnt be overly concerned.

6. DarkSlayer1666

DarkSlayer1666 Member

hmm ok thanks for that guys. im planning on only running distilled+LU

i asked my housemate to have a look if it has an EN sticker which it does apparently.
    does this mean that its one of the newer electroless plating ones?
    according to the seller the card was about a year old (I bought it in Jan this year). not sure if the block was on since day 1.

ah well. as long as it doesnt kill the card or my other WC bits, i can live with it and just buy a new block if its fubar.
    thanks for the replies

7. ex4n

ex4n Member

EN will mean its got the newer plating I think. Either way before you put it in your rig just crack it open and have a quick look. Chances are it will be fine. I wonder what the actual failure rate was, I'd imaging something like 1% or a few batches and was just massively blown out of proportion.

8. Ka0sX

Ka0sX (Banned or Deleted)

Void EK blocks like the plague.......................

9. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

just buy copper blocks
    or a koolance block :)

10. DarkSlayer1666

DarkSlayer1666 Member

the main reason i bought that particular 6970 is cos it came with wc block preinstalled by the seller. :)
    that was before i started to actually research watercooling and came across the EK issue.

11. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

how long did the original owner run it under water?
    if its been under water a while and it has no signs of flaking then you might be lucky

12. DarkSlayer1666

DarkSlayer1666 Member

he said that it was running 24/7 so i assume its been running since he got it originally
    hopefully itll be ok when i pull it apart

13. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

EK are fine now, don't run any loop without a corrosion blocker.

I keep harping on about it in these threads, but does anyone remember the koolance 370 that corroded in someone in this forums loop?

14. MDewMadOScar

MDewMadOScar Member

All this hate on EK.
    I have owned/Currently own.
    2 GTX 480 Fullcovers
    2 GTX 470 Fullcovers
    1 GTX 460 Full cover
    2 9800 Fullcovers
    2 GTX 285 Fullcovers

And never had I had a single problem.
    never.

15. ex4n

ex4n Member

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=13708359&postcount=45
    that one? could only see the one pic. came from the machine in that build afaik.
    apparently koolance rejected warranty on it too :/

edit: not trying to resurrect a shit storm.

16. IMtech

IMtech (Banned or Deleted)

So many variables at play it's not funny I'd say... :pirate:

The pattern I see tho, and I have not experienced this myself nor own an EK nickel block, only copper ones, is the nickel and silver together in the loop acting as a small battery, and with the nickel being softer than the silver it corrodes away... :thumbup:

17. ex4n

ex4n Member

i read somewhere too that it may be because the silver people are using is not 99.99999999% pure silver and so other factors are at play.

bottom line though spend $5 on a 3ml syringe of liquid utopia to be safe.

18. IMtech

Exactly. I would try to have as many of the same metals together in the same loop as I could. Copper and nickel could already act as a slight battery too, but with the extra silver inside it's accelerating the whole process again, hence the nickel flaking/being eaten away within months... :cool:

19. ex4n

ex4n Member

there is also brass in most radiators and whatever your fittings are made of to consider. thats a few metals right there.
    hopefully not getting too far off topic here :)

20. IMtech

You're definitely right there regarding brass fittings etc... :thumbup:

I think this info is quite fitting regarding the metal flaking issues, which as far as I can see is just not limited to EK blocks only... :pirate:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.