Windows 10 Creator Update bringing ads to File Explorer...

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by NSanity, Mar 19, 2017.

1. NSanity

NSanity Member

So before you get a little mad, hit up your Folder Options and untick this box.

[​IMG]

(yes, its here now)

Now discuss Windows as a Service.

FWIW, I'm pretty furious about this. At this point i'd just like to know who and how do i pay for stuff like this to not appear to me as a professional user.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/5xec80/is_nothing_sacred_advertisement_for_onedrive_in/
    https://thenextweb.com/apps/2017/03...-to-file-explorer-heres-how-to-turn-them-off/

I guess its true.

If you didn't pay for something, you're the product.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I'm going to send out a mass email of this to my customers. Ads in the file explorer are pretty damn intrusive.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

4. martini.txt

martini.txt Member

I use fedora and freenas at home now... my main gaming/editing rig is the only one left with windows

I'd be fine with MS releasing a freemium version of windows with a paid unlock for "pro" to get rid of all the dumb shit

5. power

power Member

6. breno

breno Member

There's an idea, have a paid version without all the dumb shit.

7. power

power Member

Why sell a version without ads when you already sell a version with them? Don't you want to subscribe to skydive or office 365, are you sure you don't? Really? I mean come on its cheap right now. Are you sure you don't want office 365? Surely you want One Drive right? Subscribe to office 365!

It's so cheap right now don't you want office 365?

This is Windows 10 you fucking asked for it.

8. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i just want the game boost!

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Obviously it's time to unpack windows XP again : )

10. mr626

mr626 Member

Microsoft are making it pretty clear who owns the computer now. Hint- it isn't you.

I've already converted a few friends / family to Ubuntu or Mint, looks like there will be more.

Edit: has also prompted me to start looking for Windows Explorer drop-in replacements. Something I haven't thought about for years.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  11. elvis

It's been very clear for years.

Interesting factoid time. If you take a frog, and you throw it in boiling water, the frog will panic and jump out, obviously in a bid for self-preservation. If you take a frog, put it in room temperature water, it'll sit there happily. If you slowly raise the temperature of the water by a degree every few minutes, the frog won't notice the gradual change, and eventually you can boil the frog to death.

Microsoft has been "boiling the frog" with users for a long time. And it's not just them. Look at how people freaked out about privacy concerns in decades gone buy, and then today folks willingly broadcast their personal lives on every social media platform there is.

Back when people first started questioning Microsoft and similar companies, they were all called names - tin foil hat wearing paranoid types. Use an open source operating system in the early 2000s, and you were some weird Richard Stallman esque hippy who just wanted to be contrary and cause a fuss.

It's pretty amusing today to see everyone up in arms at what was a so painfully obvious future a mere 10 years ago. From my point of view at least, the schadenfreude is off the charts, as is the "I told you so" factor.

My own arseholeness aside, there are competent alternatives out there. People are *still* baulking at them, and for stupid reasons. But they exist, and right now everyone has to sit down and have a real hard think about what they want to compromise when they use a computer. Either you get all of Microsoft, or none of them [1], and that's a hard choice you have to make in your personal computing.

[1] And to be fair - Office365 means you can have a little bit of them in a browser if you still can't go cold turkey, and need that last hit of smack just to get you through the tough times.

12. mr626

mr626 Member

The existence of alternatives is what keeps me from giving up hope altogether. Linux for me has grown from a weird hobby to something I earn a living from, and can even play (some) games on :) Just need to get more game companies to ditch Direct X for Vulcan and I'll be happy.

PS, the frog in boiling water thing is a myth apparently. But point taken.

13. power

power Member

Just the users elvis?

The entire IT industry is slowly getting boiled and they are jumping in hook line and sinker. MS have a very clear agenda they want to be the IT dept of the planet.

14. elvis

Again, not just Microsoft. Everyone wants to outsource everything all the time, with a few hold outs who will eventually be consumed.

And if it's not to cheaper developing nation labour, it will ultimately be to AI.

So everyone needs to make their choices today about what they want to retain control of. Or don't, and bitch that they're getting ads in your file explorer because they just went with the flow.

15. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Elvis, if it makes you feel any better, we have sold a record number of Linux computers this year. I too dislike what MS is doing. Saying that, Windows obviously has its place.

16. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

[​IMG]

17. NSanity

NSanity Member

hah!:thumbup:

18. elvis

I don't know if it makes me feel better. I'm less concerned with what stupid home users do, and more concerned with large business deployments these days.

On OCAU, if you say "Linux on the desktop" you get people screaming "PC Master Race! The Gameeezzzz!". That's cool for an enthusiast forum full of PC gamers, but very few businesses are using PCs for games (excluding people who make/play games for a business, obviously). In those environments, I'm at a loss as to why people feel they're stuck in a Windows world (again, "MS Word" is becoming a really, really thin excuse as to why your whole ecosystem needs to be dictated by a fucking word processing package).

Sure it does. I fucking love XBox.

19. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

This is an interesting point. Our business relies heavily on Windows 10 / Office 2013/2016. We are an engineering services provider to a couple of the larger oil and gas operators in town (Chevron/Woodside/Inpex) so we tend to push a lot of data around on excel documents and access databases, not to mention the breadth of drafting packages that we must use (AutoCAD, uStation, SPI. SPPID, PDS, PDMS, SP3D, Aveva P&ID etc).

How easily could our business move across to Linux when our clients are strictly windows based?

What Linux based applications would allow us to create functional project databases with neat front ends for projects, and get them up in a matter of days?

What database driven design packages are available for Linux that are completely interoperable with one another?

We are not an individual little snowflake either - any service provider for these businesses is going to be using Windows, as this is completely dictacted by the applications and computing requirements for the entire industry. I think your statement is a little short sighted to suggest that businesses are locked into "MS Word" and are too dumb to do anything about it.

In our environment, we have a couple of 'hacks' that double as IT helpdesk types, and can solve 90% of our IT related issues. If that fails we have an IT service provider that provides support when required. We would lose that wonderful cost saving moving to a Linux environment, and would likely require an IT Support guy full time to manage issues. In times when everyone is doing their level best to send work offshore, sticking with a tried and true OS that is simple enough for a hack to manage makes a lot of sense to a lot of SMB's.

20. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Member

Directory Opus has been around since the Amiga days and is a good replacement for windows explorer, if a little expensive for home user. Still an Australian company/product too.