[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. kogi

kogi Member

Killed the sound card on my compute stick as well. reverted and all is working well.

2. i7Baby

i7Baby Member

reverted? To what?

3. kogi

kogi Member

Windows 10 before creators update

4. GDavid

GDavid Member

Have a minor problem with my desktop icons being reset to 16:9 from my native 21:9 after "low power/standby" (?) mode. Likely drivers? Or anyone have any other ideas?

5. mareke

mareke Member

I've found that hibernation mode rather than standby mode is less likely to cause problems because the previous state of the computer is restored from memory.

I use a program called Desktop OK (see the link below) to restore desktop icons if they change as happens with Windows 7 if I switch between computers using a single monitor. The program might restore the icons to the right size if you can't find a solution. It only takes 2 clicks of a mouse to restore the desktop and minimise the program to the icons in the taskbar.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/DesktopOK

6. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

I woke up the other morning to find all my desktop icons jammed up on the left side of the screen again, as happens after changing to and from a lower res.
    Was fine when I went to bed, I hadn't been messing with desktop res or other monitors, and the machine wasn't sitting at a login prompt when I woke up as would be the case after an update. :confused:

I can't believe Windows STILL doesn't have a "Save/Restore/Favourite Desktop Icon Positions" function built in.
    Surely it couldn't be too hard to add a routine which writes that data into a section of the desktop.ini (or wherever) and then backs up that file prior to any messing about with the desktop, to make reverting nice and easy.

It really shouldn't make any difference whether you're restoring from standby/sleep or hibernate.
    Sleep saves/restores the OS state using RAM, hibernate writes it out to/reads it back from disk. In theory they should work identically.
    In theory. In practice, I always found sleep to be more reliable, at least it is on my Win7 notebook. I don't have a Win10 portable to compare it with.
    It also depends on how long you're leaving the machine in that suspended state for. Hibernate should certainly be more reliable if you're talking "days at a time".

I'll have a look at DesktopOK, sounds ideal. Thanks. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  7. GDavid

GDavid Member

Thanks OCAU!

8. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Anyone experienced issues with Windows 10 PCs going to sleep after only a minute or two, and not being able to change this?

Could be related to a recent update as it's happening to both my laptop and HTPC.

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Are you doing activities at this time?

What are your 'Power Options' set at, that is what is the plan?

Settings>System>Power & Sleep>Additional power settings

10. pantner

pantner Member

we had this at work with some of our PCs.

I wasn't involved with fixing it but from memory it had something to do with the Windows Secure Time service... or something similar

11. pantner

pantner Member

This is the fix that we have used

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...g-windows-10-version-1511-reverts-to-a-previo

even though it says it's fixed in 1607, i've been told we've still had the issue since then.

Not sure about Creators, as we don't have many machines running that yet.

12. altefour

altefour New Member

There's a thread in the 'newbie' forum asking why we can't search for the Recycle Bin in the Start menu. You can run shell:recyclebinwindow in Run but can somebody who knows more about WIN file systems please clear this up for us?

13. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Holy cow I'd not noticed this before, same behaviour on Windows 8.1 also.

14. museumman

museumman Member

After an update a few days ago my little HTPC box chucked a wobbly and just hates GPUs.

I've gone right back to clean install on a fresh .iso from M$ and runs nicely until I install drivers for gpu. I have even removed the gpu and run on the CPUs iGPU ( Intel G4560 ) and get the exact same problem. Any action takes ages, mouse is sketching across screen lagging and leaping, videos play choppy as etc. When I System Restore back to before driver install for GPU/iGPU its good again but no 4K output :(

PC is G4560/Asrock B250M-Pro4/RX460

Was running fine until update but I dont have an older W10 .iso to try now, stupid me for deleting my backup copies after installing last time and everything was grand.

15. GDavid

GDavid Member

Last weeks "Update" added a strange one into my machine:

X keystroke is spammed infinitely, think I've located it to starting logitech's LGS controller software because as soon as it's started the spamming starts. Posted on logitech's "support community" forum but tbh I don't hold out much hope.:tired:

Any ideas from OCAU?
    AND rolled my fkn ankle at work badly on Friday too :thumbdn:

16. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

Does anyone have issues with Windows 10 font rendering and fonts appearing fuzzy/blurred? Is there an easy fix for this?

I recently made the jump to W10 on my desktop and I've had to turn off cleartype and font smoothing and registry hack windows to change Segoe fonts to Tahoma to get the crispy/sharp fonts i'm used to. This was done after exhausting all the Windows ClearType Tuner options with minimal improvement.

Even with cleartype and font smoothing off and custom font there are still parts of W10 that seem to have that smoothing/anti-aliasing effect forced on. For instance windows>settings (basically any of the newly designed settings windows) and mouseover tips but things like event viewer, device manager etc. are all sharp and crispy.

I'm using a Benq GW2765 at its native res (2560x1440) @100%dpi. I've noticed W10's font rendering is ok on smaller high res screens (laptops and tablets) with glossy panels, but on a more matte panel like this its terrible. I can't remember it being this bad with winxp and win7 on this monitor.

The downside of turning cleartype/font-smoothing off is that a lot of webpages with custom fonts now look like ass. So I'm having to run Firefox with font sets forced to Arial. There's a lot of software that now also uses that anti-aliasing/rendering effect and forces it, like google chrome and libre office.

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm running a GTX 1080 @ 1080P on a (32")TV. Can't say I've noticed any problems with this TV. I was running a bigger, 720P (42")TV prior to this on the same rig with no issues.

It also runs the 55" 4K TV in the lounge no issues, @ 4K.

I have another rig in the shed, just a G4400 with onboard graphics, that has no issues with the same TV's, although I haven't tried 4K for gaming with that rig, of course that's likely to be a bit of a fizzle for gaming. Video playback, screen fonts etc are fine though, with all combinations.

I use Win 10 Pro on all my rigs. I'd imagine that if they all look good on TV screens, they would also look good on a dedicated monitor.

18. mareke

mareke Member

I had a similar issue when I tried Windows 10 as the posts in the two links below show. The person in the second link offered a suggestion to fix it. The last time I switched to Windows 10 by restoring the Acronis image I made of it to update it before going back to Windows 7 I didn't notice it so Microsoft may have fixed it with one of the updates. It seems to be more of a problem you get if you upgrade Windows 7 to 10 instead of doing a clean install of 10. I recently bought a laptop with Windows 10 installed and I didn't notice the issue.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=17273079&postcount=837

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=17273157&postcount=838

19. pantner

pantner Member

What build/update of Win10 are you running?

From my understanding Creators Update has some big changes to DPI scaling (for better or worse)

20. mareke

mareke Member

I haven't restored an Acronis image of Windows 10 for a few months so the version I noticed poor looking fonts in was basically the one after accepting the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10. The last time I updated Windows 10 after restoring my Acronis image of Windows 10 I didn't notice poor looking fonts so the issue may well have been fixed. I'm happy with Windows 7 anyway as long as it's supported.

The creators update won't install on my laptop until I install another update that is a pre-requisite for the creators update and that update refuses to install. The fix was to download the media creation tool and then repair the Windows 10 rather than doing a clean install. It's ridiculous that you should have to do that to install the creators update.