[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. pantner

pantner Member

hibernate and shutdown later?

be proactive and install updates when you have time and not when you don't?

2. wwwww

wwwww Member

Are the updates available somehow before Windows automatically does it?

I'll try hibernating next time, shutdown -s -t 0 used to work well enough.

3. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Try the Windows Update MiniTool

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

5. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

looks like the CB updated again.

6. Sledge

Sledge Member

yeah last major update just keep downloading for me..
    Took 40GB of my quota to do the update :(

7. neopheX

neopheX Member

Where can I download an official release of Windows 10 with all of the latest updates? My current version on m usb has an old version, so when I format I need to download all of the updates again.

Cheers

8. timmay556

timmay556 Member

I downloaded the latest ISO from Windows website for win10 and even after installing I still had to download a heap of updates.

9. Darko

Darko Member

Same here, looks like unlike previous versions of Windows that included service packs with their iso', Windows 10 iso still has to download updates separately.

10. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Bloody compatelrunner grinding my HDDs randomly .. y u do dis

11. Revenger

Revenger Member

Here but you need the ISO separately in my thread you can find links.
    I need to update that thread as its a bit old but want some help and some sort of acknowledgement as after I did it I felt that no-one cared so didn't keep updating it.

Windows update catalogue.

Then sort by last updated.

There are a few depending on base version and x64/86 so get the version for your base version 1703 is the latest as of this post.

2017-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4041676) - 976.22MB

These are consolidated updates and what windows update delivers so it is like a rolling service pack for Windows 10.

As of the next couple days Fall Creators ISO will be is out so just wait and grab that instead as it'll be mostly updated as stock.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  12. Darko

Darko Member

^ They're just the updates

13. Revenger

Revenger Member

Remember Windows 10 is a rolling system, one wouldn't expect them to update the ISO every Patch Tuesday.

They integrate the updates into each build so Fall Creators will be like a ISO with service pack included.
    No different from the integrated service pack method of before.

The Cumulative Updates are all the in-between updates together.

As with old service packs you still had to download the updates in wsus in between the 6 month or so pack / ISO releases.

Windows rolling version ISO's every few months and the Cumulative Updates is actually easier than than the old service pack method.

As you can download the latest Service pack in this case core ISO and the updates in-between as a Cumulative Update single file right to the latest months updates.

As said my sticky thread has the links where the latest ISO's are with the latest coming in just a few days 1709.

Asking for a all in one service pack update today is like asking for a service pack just days out from one being released on the older system.

---
    You guys probably don't remember having to get the latest service pack RTM ISO from certain sources online MDL for example as Microsoft didn't host ISO's only the service pack EXE.
    Then having to use a WSUS downloader to package all the updates in-between the service pack which would download every update slowly from a commandline grabber one at at a time and create a folder with 500+ files in it.

Having to then install that ISO and then use that wsus downloader to install the updates hoping everything went ok.

Joys of being volunteer refurb tech in XP / 7 era.

That method had be done like that because internet bandwidth at places couldn't be used to do 5+ computers a day with wsus updates.

So yes this makes it soo much easier than those days with 1 big updater file to grab after the ISO.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  14. Will S

Will S Member

ok, am upgrading to Z370 and 8700K and will just throw in my current M.2 drive that have Windows on it and boot into Windows 10 from that. The idea is I will then update the activation so all the hardware is part of my activation and then I will do a clean install of Win10 and hopefully the new activation will then go smoothly.

Then again my system may go so smoothly so a fresh installation may be wasted.

Anything I may have missed ? yes, I will do a BIOS update first ( already have it on USB thumb drive )

"Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft Account" shows in update and security/activation so as long as I use that same Microsoft account things will work. ie. the account in settings/accounts

Just making sure I have everything written down just in case

15. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Make a MS account:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/226510/ho...10-license-after-changing-your-pc’s-hardware/

16. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

As stated it wasn't working and hasn't for about 6 months, wont even start downloading.

Finally got the shits up with the updates not working today and started playing with things. In the end Windows Troubleshooting for Windows Update fixed it in about 5 minutes. Annoying thing is I tried the troubleshooting thing last week and it found nothing to fix, a few days later nothing's changed, the troubleshooter worked and Windows is up to date.

17. pantner

pantner Member

18. T-Bones

T-Bones Member

Has anybody got available a standalone Fall Creators ISO which has just been released. Our workplace blocks the media creation tool so the only way I normally download the latest builds is through the Insider Program which as yet doesn't offer the 1709 Build.

I've got very limited DL from home so was hoping a member may already have it online which my work will actually not block - wishful thinking.

Cheers, T-Bones

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  19. Opticon

Opticon Member

I've manually kicked off the upgrade on 1 machine at home and it's downloading now.

1709 iso isn't on MVLS yet, from memory that didn't happen until later during the day or even the following day. The media creation tool was even later I think?

20. Revenger

Revenger Member

Fall Creators isn't on the manual iso download page which you access non windows devices or changing the browser I'd to something non windows, should be in a day or so, nor in the upgrade assistant yet.

I prefer this method over media creators tool and gives Home/Pro combined and N editions etc opposed to x86/x64.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017