Windows 7 64bit which Version should i get ?

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by s8n187, May 11, 2012.

1. s8n187

s8n187 Member

2. Jim G

Jim G Member

3. Big Trev

Big Trev Member

When I looked at this, I found no reason to go anywhere past Home Premium.

4. s8n187

s8n187 Member

5. Jim G

Jim G Member

Yes, that is Home Premium.

You may note the bottom where it says that that version is only licensed to be used with entirely new computer systems by Microsoft-registered system builders/resellers. That sort of thing may or may not bother you :)

The run of the mill retail version is more expensive.

6. s8n187

s8n187 Member

hi again Jim , yea i noticed the warning at the bottom of the page.........i am planning on buying a new PC so im in luck

btw.........thanks for the confirm that its Home Premium :thumbup:

7. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

just ignore the licensing shit on the OEM packs, what microsoft say in their licensing rules doesnt mean they apply those rules in the real world, because it is common knowledge everywhere that anyone can buy an oem version and use it on any pc they like, and, the agreement also stipulates that the oem activation is tied to the motherboard of the pc it was activated on and therefore cant be used again, and thats a joke, microsoft activation service can, and will re-activate an OEM version again on any other motherboard, computer or laptop.

also, the key you get with a retail OEM pack is known as a COA-OEM product key, issued thru the OEM channel, so it cannot be physically tied to any hardware.

see the differences between the 3 types of OEM licenses here if your interested.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/diffe...nnel-slp-nonslp-and-coa-license-product-keys/

also, you may see a win 7 serial key printed on a COA sticker under a laptop, well, that too is a COA-OEM key, and if the laptop still has the original factory installation on it, then that key has not been used, so technically, the key can be used on any other laptop or computer and it will be activated by microsoft, however, the licensing agreement stipulates that the key should remain with the original pc or laptop it was issued with, strictly to use for doing a custom installation on that machine.

the licensing of windows by microsoft is flawed to the point where its actually a big joke, however, with retail OEM packs selling for around $100 there is no excuses for anyone to (a) pirate windows, and (b) buy a full retail box.

thats really odd that the 64bit is cheaper than the 32bit ??? but $99 is a great price for home premium 64bit, no need for anything else m8.

oh, and while i am here, if you ever sell the computer that your using the oem on, sell the win 7 with the pc, and keep the packaging with the disc to give them as well, because that is also one of the requirement of the licensing for that product as well.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  8. s8n187

s8n187 Member

phenomenal info and tips glenpinn , ill Scrapbook this Thread as the info from everyone is superb :thumbup:

9. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

cheers m8, good luck with the oem, glad you got it sorted.

10. JolyV

JolyV Member

thanks for the info, for me w7 Professional its good