Windows command line GPU temperature query?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by davo-cc, Sep 10, 2017.

1. davo-cc

davo-cc Member

I'm looking at configuration options to let me centrally manage my gaming system, main workstations, servers, etc. for critical events and data (e.g. GPU temperature getting above a threshold, etc.).

I use GPU-Z on my Radeon 7970OC during gaming, the card sounds like a jet engine but it's doing an adequate job of cooling; down the track though I'd like to set up a background process that feeds a return value back so that I can pipe this out to an MQTT publishing program (this sends an MQTT message in perhaps JSON format so this can be acted on, displayed, etc.).

The upstream bits I can sort out elsewhere - what I'm wondering is if anyone's seen a command line program that can poll a GPU and see its current core temperatures the way GPU-Z does. Perhaps something that works for Nvidia and AMD?

I've tried googling for it but I'm not quite sure what to match it to; I suspect I'm using the wrong search terminology.

Has anyone any suggestions for this?

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

'DATA logging' - GPU-z does this already into a CSV file for plotting:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...our-gpu-on-windows-with-gpu-z-by-techpowerup/

3. davo-cc

davo-cc Member

Thanks Bold Eagle, yes I noticed that, it's a good feature - what I'm looking for here is a program that can write a response to stand IO so I can redirect this to somewhere. I'm looking for something that can do a one-off or some way of doing it, I'm not quite sure where to start looking though (it's not a technical area I've ever deep-dived on before).

4. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

use nvidia-smi.exe

under C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI

will report load/temps etc to stdout / cmd line

5. davo-cc

davo-cc Member

Thanks Waltermitty - is there one for AMD/ATI as well?

6. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Try
    Code:
    aticonfig --odgc --odgt
    Don't have an ati card to test soz

7. davo-cc

davo-cc Member

Kewl, will give it a crack - I hadn't heard of that before, thanks for the pointer!

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member