Windows Phone 7 Series

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Oppressa, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

2. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

The demo on the MS page is actually kind of neat. One thing i'd like to know is if there is a back end... and if the interface we see is simply a shell that MS is running over the top of the OS.

No sense/mobile shell is a bit of a concern IMO. What sets WinMo apart from the others is the insane degree of customisation which can be applied. If we're going to be tied in to the one interface for interacting with the device then i might as well get one of 'those' other smartphones.

3. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Good point about the self-customisation. Only time will tell I guess but I think the MS teams would be smart enough to realise that it's the chefs at xda-dev that are responsible for a lot of the success of Windows Mobile to this date.

4. Decromin

Decromin Member

5. nexx

nexx Member

It looks like a step in the right direction. Breaking app compatibility is a good thing too imo.

My biggest concern is lack of multitasking, wtf?

6. Decromin

Decromin Member

Did anyone see any mention of zune-like wireless sync? If that exists in the phone, I might be pretty tempted to use it as a media device ...

7. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

Id agree. Give it time with some devs and we should see the benefits.

8. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  9. Wolf

Wolf Lex generalis

I think the tiles concept has a lot of promise, but I would never use it unless I can customise it a lot from what was shown. First, I would absolutely have to customise the theme and look of the tiles so they look less flat and simplistic. Indeed, I find the whole Metro aesthetic far from looking good is actually quite horrid. Then I would need to be able replace the Microsoft services like live, bing and xbox live and with services I actually use. If I can do that, then maybe I'm interested. Still not sure why MS thinks this is what end users want.

10. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

This combo is a deal breaker for me. I can't see the videos thanks to the customer site's nannywall so I wasn't aware of these drawbacks to the new OS - if it's true then I guess I will be going Android.

I do love my Touch Pro (6.5) too :(

Edit: Oh, worse is the insistence on social networking s*** and it being a personal phone. There are what, 5 non-customisable hubs on the device, and I feel I would have no use for at least 4 of them (People, Photos, Games, Music/Video). And besides, there's a sixth for Marketplace, which no-one mentions.

An example (remember that this is the new forced approach:
    OK. Sure I have a contact list. But I don't use Crapbook, Barfer, Windows Dead Profiles or whatever they are called this week and I don't want to. I don't want live feeds about which of Joe's f*cking dogs just barfed up on his shoes. I don't think "Hmm, Fred I need to call" I think "Hmm, I need to call Fred". But this new MS interface is people centric (and Yoda might love it).

Yes, I know other people work differently. That's why we have customisation in our UIs, not manufacturers dictating "YOU WILL HAVE FIVE BUTTONS, AND FIVE BUTTONS THERE WILL BE. FOR VERILY FIVE IS THE ONLY VALID NUMBER. UM. UNTIL WE NEED A SIXTH AND YOU SHALL BUY A NEW PHONE, FOR [DEL]FIVE[/DEL]SIX SHALL BE THE REQUIRED NUMBER OF BUTTONS". See how dumb it looks when I put it that way?

Edit 2: OK I'm ranting. But where's the functionality going to end up? Where's the time and weather and appointments on the home screen? Hell, with the 6 hubs, where does the Internet browser fit? Or maps?

Edit 3: Fuck MS, it's a FUCKING PHONE. WHERE IS THE "USE THE PHONE AS A PHONE" ICON on the home screen? Fucking social media wankfest. I'm going to go take a Valium, drink some Bonox and go lie down :mad:

11. platinum

platinum Member

Looks awesome - I would almost sell my iPhone for it if they don't do something amazing before this is launched.

Beautiful screen and hardware, smooth/sleek interface, everything has been designed properly and "makes sense" for those people who want to be well connected and have access to everything in one place.

Sounds like a Nokia 3210 would almost be perfect for you.

12. koma_white

koma_white Member

I wouldn't be surprised if there's multiple UI layouts of Win Phone 7 to reflect the different demographics.
    What they've demonstrated appears to be the 'Home' (personal) version which would be targetted to the personal user. I'd also like to see a 'Professional' version set up for a commercial environment (ie. focus on calendar, email / exchange).

I guess what i'm saying is i bloody hope it's like what HTC did with their Sense UI with the multiple profiles that you can swap between depending on what your doing/using it for. Monday-Friday:9-5 it stays in 'Professional' mode, after hours or weekends it reverts to 'Home' (personal) mode.

13. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Nope, I'm loving WinMo 6.5 (HTC Touch Pro, custom ROM). Multiple processes running, incl multiple email accounts, web browsing, local games, office apps, stock ticker, weather. Can also run mapping (eg Glympse/Latitude).

In what appears to be the new UI, I can't do this. If true, it sucks and 6.5 will be the end of the line because I'd have to radically change how I work to suit the phone - which I believe is the exact opposite of what should happen.

Edit: Just heard from a colleague that he feels the same way. Was about to propose WinMo to an insurance company instead of BBES (since BES can be a bit of a pain). He's also of the opinion that it's too personally focused (if the business provides the device, the business doesn't want people facebooking/twittering the day (and data!!) away).

14. punkerdaleski

punkerdaleski Member

Good rage :) I love it.
    Totally agree too.

15. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

So can we clarify that the ui is just a shell?

16. platinum

platinum Member

What do you guys actually use multi-tasking for? I'm a "power user" and now push is enabled, I haven't seen any use for it.

On the iPhone, my mail is checked in the background, sms's/calls (of course), facebook push notifies me whenever something happens, weather is updated live via push, MSN/instant messenger stays connected in the background and push notifies me whenever an event happens.

Obviously music plays in the background while doing other tasks / using apps too.

17. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Example from last 24hrs: dropping out of nav software, to re-check the message i got with the address in it.

18. Wolf

Wolf Lex generalis

Some sites and youtube videos will take a little while to cache and load fully, so it's nice to be able to leave them running in the background. Or if I want to run GPS voice guidance whilst checking something on the internet or use another application, it's helpful that I can still get all the directions I need. I could probably live without it, but it's still a step backwards.

19. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Push as a technology requires background processing, aka multitasking. There has to be something staying connected to the mail server, and the MSN server, and the facebook server, and it's not (likely not, I suppose) the shell.

Also with web pages - I don't want to reload 2 or 3 full pages just because the phone rang between clicking "go" and reading the page.

20. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Well, what multitasking do you do on your PC? Wouldn't it be easier to do that on your phone? I'm forever checking info in spreadsheets/web/Word/email and going back and forth between them. Also running a backup program so that it can run in the background while I'm surfing/working on a document.

As mentioned above, it's Windows Phone 7 SERIES so I think there'll be some phones more for the business user. I've read this but can't remember where.