Xiaomi Mi Box

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by MR CHILLED, Jun 28, 2017.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thought the Mi Box deserved it's own thread. It's basically the successor to the WDTVLive for me.

Took delivery of the Xiaomi Mi Box a week ago for roughly $75 delivered and couldn't be happier with it. Although the WDTVLive was good and worked well for me right up until the very end, when I played with the Mi Box I realised how out of the date and sluggish the WD was. The interface on the Mi Box is zippy and intuitive.

The Mi Box just does everything the WDTVLive does and more. It also includes the ability to receive casted content which provides similar functionality to a Chromecast, and set up in the same way as you might with a CC using Google Home.

So far I've installed minimum apps, really only putting on VLC to have a play (probably not really needed in the end) and KODI which I use to stream content from the PC. I did originally have ES File Explorer to navigate to content but in reading over at WP it's recommended not to install it so I've removed it.

So far wireless streaming of 1080P content is working well and better than the WDTVLive. 4K content over wireless is problematic but hoping to address this somewhat with a USB to Ethernet adapter. Just waiting on delivery of that right now.

If you do purchase one make sure you get the one with model number MDZ-16-AB as I think there are a few variants out there? Not sure.

Another note: The place I purchased from did not include a power adapter from the boxed EU/US power plug so had to purchase that separately. They are fairly cheap and you can either get them on fleabay or Bunnings/KMart, etc.

Thoughts on the Mi Box?

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Just purchased a second MiBox for another room, slowly doing away with the Chromecasts as the MiBox does have casting support already.

Straight from a recent Whirlpool post, really good list of tips for the MiBox:

3. death

death Member

where did you buy it from? the prices are all over the place

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I bought the first one from ebay seller Gearbite: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Xiaomi-M...972133?hash=item282a83cb25:g:KAkAAOSw0hlZLVQn

Bought second one from Gearbest: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_426056.html?wid=4

Both shipped quite quickly. They are regularly available at discounted prices for around $70-$80 delivered. I definitely wouldn't pay more than $80AU. Mine didn't include the AU power adapter so I had to buy that separately, only a couple of bucks so no biggie.

Gearbest currently have them on sale for $71.55 del (I assume the sale is still going). According to comments the AU adapter is included.

Edit: Oh and I would probably not recommend buying from LightInTheBox, seem to be very slow shipping and other issues.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  5. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Yep got my brother in law a Mi Box last year some time from memory, been solid. Kodi works great, will get my parents one when ever I move out.

6. lostintranslation

lostintranslation Member

Bought one and just set up yesterday. The remote is very responsive and the whole package just sms to work pretty well so far. I ordered mine from LITB and shipped within 3 weeks so pretty happy with that.

7. srey

srey Member

How's Netflix go on it, will it do 1080p?
    I know when I was looking a year or so ago the only way to get better than 720p Netflix on Android was to go with a device that had its own specific Netflix app, which at the time basically meant a shield or a firetv. I went with the fire and love it, but these things look tonnes cheaper and might be an option for the folks down the track.

8. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Member

Netflix is good. Does 1080P.

9. Renza

Renza Member

It will do UHD as well. This is a proper Android TV certified device, not just a cheap android box running plain android.

10. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

I was so impressed with the setup of my box. Found my wifi network and my android phone. Confirmed a passkey on screen and it migrated all my settings from my phone to the box.

I'm yet to fire it up on my 4K projector, though. I hate the latest version of Kodi (CBFed trying to sideload an older APK), and things are a bit hairy at the moment on the old Exodus front :paranoid:

11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Because of the new skin? Most everything else works the same, and if it's just Estuary you're opposed to, you can switch it back to Confluence.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Brilliantly, it's perfect. I love it, quality is fantastic.

13. Cererus

Cererus Member

Got one of these delivered Friday and have been playing with it on the weekend. Using it as a media player mainly as I don't have or want Netflix etc. atm as I'm on a crappy asdl2 connection
    I've done most of the stuff recommended by Mr Chilled in the 2nd post, but still running android 6.0.1

I installed the http://kodi.wiki/view/Alternative_keymaps_for_low_button_remotes Basic navigation xml file and it made playing video files in Kodi much friendlier.

When viewing with Iview and the SBS apps from within Kodi or the Google play store apps how do you stop the selected title playing if you back out? it seem to be always paused/playing in the background unless you go into apps and clear the cache for the respective apps?

You can use the down button to highlight the pause next title controls within Iview /SBS but they don't respond to any other button press or do I need one of those mini bluetooth keyboard/trackpad thingies.

14. Raykay

Raykay Member

Plex works really well too. Incredibly happy with these, might buy another 1 or 2..

15. devolutionary

devolutionary Member

We're absolutely loving the Mi Box, about to pick up another for my father-in-law.

Using Netflix and Kodi with certain movie & TV add-ons (just amazing).
    Also using Spotify for music, Youtube and Vimeo for music videos, and MyTuner for podcasts. Bought Milkdrop visualizer for AndroidTV, it's a great blast from the past.
    I'm using a VPN naturally.
    I have played around with a lot of apps, love the Android ecosystem and ability to sideload etc.
    I have a few games installed but haven't received my BT gamepad in the post yet.

Pretty damn nifty little box when you include the apps available to sideload and the, ahem, less than legal but superb add-ons for Kodi.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Kodi been ok for everyone recently? Just sort of been having a couple of small things happening, maybe.....

17. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

The only thing I care for is:

Does the Mi Box bitstream DD, DTS, DD+, Dolby TrueHD and DTSHD-MA over HDMI via Kodi?

18. Raykay

Raykay Member

Kodi has been working great on the hardware side, but there are software niggles that I can't seem to figure out. My SMB shares don't appear, so I have to manually input the IP address.

Sometimes it doesn't quite pick up all my TV shows either, but again, that seems to be an issue with Kodi, not the MiBox.

Been fabulous so far, only complaint I have is no ethernet!!

As for USB ethernet adapters, I'm not sure if it's worth it since I think I lose a lot of throughput from the fact that it's USB 2.0.. Not 100% sure yet.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Seems strange, I don't get this and haven't seen any others that do, that I know of. Have you updated the firmware?

Yeah I get the same thing. I've had a go at adjusting settings such as the "updating library" settings. I think that may have fixed it for me. I'll confirm and post back.

20. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

But can it bitstream 5.1ch audio via HDMI?