Your favourite ALDI buys

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by ddk, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Franc

Franc Member

Consumables are dead cheap - 1KG of pla costs around $25.

1KG doesnt sound like much but it goes a long way. In relation for what use...well none thats really nessecary per se, its not something you need, but want and if you like doing stuff like that its a nice hobby to have.

Check out www.thingiverse.com to see the sort of things you can print.

Its not that easy making a design yourself straight off the start thats for sure

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks. I can't imagine getting one unless I had something specific I knew how to print. I'd never get motivated to do anything. :D

I wonder if forum members have made things? Is there a "show us what you got out of your 3D printer" thread?

3. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

5. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

In the latest aldi catalogue, there's a "National Geographic 76/700 Eq Newtonian Reflector Telescope" for $99.99

Anyone know if it's any good, or basically a toy??

6. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Don't mind the $4.49 chicken pizzas (not frozen, in with the Indian food and garlic bread). They need more cheese of course, but a decent base. Great for when I'm too lazy to make our own dough.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

ALDi west beach supposed to be opening tomorrow?

8. kombiman

kombiman Re-Member

I was researching to get one for the kids

9. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

their $15 gin won some award recently

10. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Wish they sold it in QLD :(

11. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

12. josh1990

josh1990 Member

I picked up one of the $149 espresso machines this morning.
    Well - I nearly didn't haha haha. Went to one store, sold out by 9. Manager rang another store, put one on hold. Get to other store, wrong machine (capsule) on hold. One black and one white left on shelf thankfully.
    3 years warranty so hopefully it's semi decent (for the price paid, I know it's not a multiple $k machine). Did I read here somewhere that the Aldi coffee beans (roasted in Melbourne) were ok? I've grabbed a bag of medium roast to try out the machine before I hunt down some quality beans.

13. MrRevhead

MrRevhead Member

http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/

Using freshly roasted coffee beans from different origins and blends becomes an addiction. The next thing you know, you will be roasting your own beans!

14. Zee

Zee Member

$150? Is it ok for the money? Anyone?

I'ma bit of a coffee snob, sadly :(

Z...

15. josh1990

josh1990 Member

I used to run a cafe mate, so leaving the many fresh (and good, toot toot) espressos behind was downright depressing. We've just never been able to justify an espresso machine at home due to the cost.

Saw the 3 year warranty and was like boom - I'll try that. Ideally, I'd find the coffee we had in the cafe (cafe carnivale or something, think it was from young) (EDIT -
    this one www.artofespresso.com.au/our-coffee/signature-blends/caffe-carnivale) We sampled so many types with our customers and that easily outstripped any other blend.

I hope we don't get as far as blending our own :lol:, but it'd be nice to sample something different each week. Back in Perth I used to buy my beans every week from the markets up the road from work, unfortunately don't have that resource here. But, I know there is a roaster somewhere here.

Good luck finding one mate, all sold out by 9.30 here. I haven't made a coffee yet (I promised the wife I'd wait) but I've set it all up. It's a bit noisy, but jeez it heats up fast. Water is plenty hot, and seems to be a good amount of steam. I'll update later as to how good it actually goes. Last machine I used was about 4k worth, so it'll either be passable or not.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  16. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Ok - wife's home and machine has been tested. She said it wasn't loud, so it must've just been how quiet it was by myself, or it was bleeding water through for the first time. It's a manual machine, so you can control the amount of water per shot. Automatic would be more convenient, but at this price point I'll let that slide. Steamer seems to work well, I used a larger jug and more milk than specified in the instructions and it was still done in less than a minute (manual states about 45 secs for 100ml). It was a bit foamy, but that was more rusty technique.

Now - the Aldi coffee. Is actually not bad. $6.99 for 500g in medium roast espresso grind. Looking forward to trying the dark roast as well. Pleasantly surprised anyway. Wife likes it too

Win win and chalk up 2 more things for my "Favorite Aldi buys"

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Got to me new aldi for the first time since it opened. Some prices were quite amazing, but really it seemed like quite a small store with not a great deal in it.

Not a single brand I recognised but many many familiar looking packages....lol

I think it's somewhere that I would go back to.

18. broccoli

broccoli Member

That's the point of it. Not much stuff, but good stuff and cheap.

19. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Just tried their "Little Spoons" ice cream in small tubs. Tried a Hazelnut Gelato and also a Pomegranate Sorbet.
    My God. I'm in heaven.

20. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Mate. Their Triple mudcake ice cream. Just tried it for the first time, wished that I hadn't :lol:. That'll be in the trolley