Your thoughts on Uber overseas?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by MoNk{LAH}, Jun 3, 2015.

1. MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

Anyone used Uber services overseas, particularly in the USA and Canada?

i havent used it in melbourne (never needed it) but when i'm overseas, i'm thinking of using them instead of taxis.

any tips or recommendations when using them overseas? all ive been told is to go and use Uber Black or the equivelant instead of UberX....

**please dont comment on the legality of it etc, we know about fines etcetc in aust**

2. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

It's the most pointless thing in Singapore.

Taxi from bottom of Singapore to airport = $23
    Uber from city center to airport = $45

Grab Taxi to get a taxi = 1-5 minutes
    Wait for Uber = 15-40 minutes

Only white people who don't know any better use Uber in Singapore.

3. _slappy_dn

_slappy_dn Member

Used it all through central America and Mexico, amazing service, brilliant cost. Didnt have to negotiate with taxi drivers in spanish, no running us around to ma out the metre, always a third of the price asked by cab drivers.

I would recommend it 100 %

4. << J o Y i >>

<< J o Y i >> Member

I've used in the big cities in the US. Highly recommend. Much better service compared to Aus (there are simply a lot more of them).

5. Cyb3r

Cyb3r Member

used it several times.

Had a average driver in DC, we book uber black, got an old town car (There was another Uber driver that got a brand spanking caddilac infront of us :( ... )

Guy was nice enough but I noticed he took a really long way to get to the hotel passing a few sites, thought nothing off it, after the trip it asked to leave a review so I gave 4stars and wrote a small comment (polite and prompt driver, but seemed to take a long path around town instead of direct to hotel, would of been fine with it had he asked as I got to see a bit around town), about an hour later got an e-mail from Uber customer care giving me a credit and apologizing for the poor behavior stating they reviewed the GPS history and agreed that the driver took "the long way" for no apparent reason, couldn't believe it, used it another 4-5 times after that :)

6. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

Used it all thru San Diego, LA and San Fran recently, nothing but positive experiences. Did some long hauls in LA too which would have cost a fortune in cabs.

7. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Use it over cabs now in San Fran. Cabs are nearly dead there. uber all the way.

8. mtma

mtma Member

I've been told by work colleagues that Uber in China is sort of reverse in terms of what it is typically in other countries. It is more expensive than a taxi is, however you generally get better vehicles with seat-belts, no BS service (to the quality of GPS navigation anyway) and is a no-brainer for a foreigner if you are traveling with more people than a normal taxi will fit and have some reason not to split the group.

9. MadGav

MadGav Member

40 trips in Tampa, Florida, absolutely zero issues, half the price and twice the service of the local cabbies. Signed up in Melb and zero issues using it overseas.

10. Dre_

Dre_ Member

I love using it overseas, I use it most frequently in Melbourne and Sydney.

The only place I don't really use it is Kuala Lumpur, but that is because the KL Rapid public transport suits me really well. However, I will use Uber instead of a taxi if I can't get somewhere on the train.

11. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

But you would never use a taxi in KL. No taxi drivers know where anything is. And they mostly all try to scam you.

12. mr sti

mr sti Member

Ive been 4-5 times and have been okay. Is there something I should look out for?

13. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

If you go to the city its not too bad. If go just outside. Especially suburbs. You're screwed. They literally drive around in circles and ask you where to go. (Been to KL about 10 times in the last 4 years)

Some drivers and honest and helpful. Others are just dirty cheats. Never get into a cab who says their meter isn't working.

Also it was only a couple of years ago heaps of drivers got in trouble for moding their meters to count faster...

14. Dre_

Dre_ Member

I would avoid them, but mostly because the cards are death traps.

You can prepay the fare at large taxi ranks like you get at Petronas Towers, etc. Thats probably the best option I'd say.

Out of the main city center, Uber drivers are very scarce

15. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I used Uber in NYC and it was fantastic. Had around 8-9 rides and they were great.

16. stevenx

stevenx Member

Outside Australia I've used it in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Kuala Lumpur. I have nothing but good things to say.

17. 3stars

3stars Member

About the only place I'd stick to a regular taxi is london

18. mr sti

mr sti Member

HK is fine. I've taken taxis in Amsterdam, was fine.

19. WhatMACHI

WhatMACHI Member

Have used Ubers in San Fran maybe 5-6 times and in sydney maybe 3 times. No issues at all. Good to be able to get a cheaper ride.

One time I did have a new Uber driver who was slooooow. But apart from that i've had nothing but good experiences.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

And here we go! Next time you're in the US....

"Uber launches driverless car service in landmark US trial"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-...breaking-driverless-car-service-in-us/7845820