$100-150~ on speakers or headset

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by flinchy, Nov 12, 2008.

1. flinchy

flinchy Member

sound producing device being either speakers or headphones, for a computer only.

though with headphones, i was originally going to buy a pair of steelseries neckbands, for the mic, and that they apparently had very good quality sound for the priuce... though umart has decided to stop selling them *shakes fist*
    and it would cost something like $170 to get them from ebay america, gtfo my pricerange why doncha.

so the headphones, i'd rather have a mic, but not at the cost of having a decent set.

speakers:

Altec Lansing VS4221 2.1
    Logitech Z-2300 2.1
    Logitech X-540 5.1
    Creative T-7900 7.1

are my immediate first choices that i can purchase immidiately. so a cheap 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1... and i know that yes, i get exactly what i pay for :tired:... they would only be relatively temporary, being that im starting a new job on monday...

wanted for music (both of the electronic (hardstyle, hardcore, electro, house, trance, dance, bassline, everything), and metal/rock/pop/chill etc... so literally everything..), movies, tv shows, games, everything thats done on any set of speakers, will be done liberally by me...

but my 10 year old optima 2.0's are on deaths bed, losing connection constantly, and i would like a replacement asap

thanks for your input in advance :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  2. Liam.

Liam. Member

just get some headphones... they will sound far better than any cheap, or any 5.1 pc speaker set reallly.

dtx800 maybe?

3. OP
    OP
    flinchy

flinchy Member

only reason i'd get headphones is inbuilt mic, as i said

all the low $100's headphones i've heard are just as average (well.. a lot more actually, compared to a decent 2.1/2.0) as the speakers... i prefer the sound of my cheap 2.0 to some of them tbh.

and they're either uncomfortable as hell, airy sound, or overly bassy. never decently balanced.

4. Liam.

Liam. Member

what headphones are they ;O

you can just grab a zalman clipon or similar for a mic... but get what you want lol.

5. OP
    OP
    flinchy

flinchy Member

ahhh err

5+ different sennheissers (555,515, 215, 415, 205), an audio technica or 2 (not sure which numbers though), really whatever's been on display at jb/hmv rocking horse etc... and whatever my friends have owned... i've also heard a lot of the lower ends (some phillips, whatever brand they sell at eb.. sony.. panasonic...)

(looking through headphones.com.au at the moment as well to jog the memory)

EDIT: another Altec Lansing VS4221 2.1 that i'd be interested in, im pretty sure i've heard & enjoyed them

so which out of the 4 would probably be the best choice?

im leaning towards either the z-2300's or those altecs.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  6. Quelch

Quelch Member

Have a look at the Headphonic site

They have dozens of headphones of each type

Also have a look at their forum for some advice from the ops there

Your sure to find something to suit you

7. OP
    OP
    flinchy

flinchy Member

so can anyone shed some light on those 4 cheap speaker sets mentioned in the op?

as googling can't really find me any non thin crappy headsets, i'd like to pick up one of those speakers.

8. dzudza

dzudza Member

Altec Lansing VS4221 2.1 if you listen to music and watch movies more than you game. Otherwise, take Logitech.

9. Liam.

Liam. Member

dude the headphones will sound ALOT better than the cheap speakers... also in your op you listed the steelseries headphones lol...

10. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

a mic is the smallest part of the system, yet you're stressing over it the most.

Get a good set of headphones, and a $2 microphone

11. OP
    OP
    flinchy

flinchy Member

mmm..

i really want those steelseries neckbands
    but they dont sell them ANYWHERE in aus. not any more
    umart stopped stocking them
    staticice has no results
    ebay.com.au has nothing
    and im NOT paying $200+ to get them imported from the US. they were $130 AUD in local stores.

the reason im 'stressing' over a mic, i dont have much desk space to put one... especially not when i'd like to just be able to chat whilst in game,or immediately answer a skype call... my current desktop mic just isn't cutting the mustard. so i'd prefer a mic built into the headphones.

12. leonx---

leonx--- New Member

from what i've seen $100-$150 range decent headsets dont provide mic. the ones that do are either cheap sound +mic or $200+ and flaunting that they are "uber cool gaming headsets". so i would say either get a sennheiser (i have the 212 pro) and sep mic or logitech x540 and a sep mic.

i have the x530 and loving it but currently having troubles with 5.1 card >.>

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  13. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

Im considering sidegrading my Logitech Z-5300 5.1 set to the above speakers because:

- They take up too much room.
    - I cant use the Z-5300's to their full potential.
    - They are the oldest piece of hardware I have attached to my computer.

I have no huge problems going from 5.1 to 2.1 however I would not want to loose any sound quality. If you grab the above please let us know how you go.

14. OP
    OP
    flinchy

flinchy Member

turns out my roommate has a set of 2300's.. they're very very good, clear sound, not the usual muddy-overpowering-bassness you get from logitech speakers, infinitely better than my other roommates X-530

i actually might save up a bit more and go for a set of 5500's though, considering i'll have money in a week.. hmm.

15. karnage112

karnage112 Member

Ive seen the SteelSeries Siberia Neckband thingy's at JB Hi Fi. Probably a rip though.

16. Whisper

Whisper Member

For the 1000th time

If you want a headset in this price range there is only 1 choice if you want quality, and that is the BeyerDynamic DT234.

Everything else sounds crap to the majority of people.

17. [PubGamer]TimMy

[PubGamer]TimMy Member

18. OP
    OP
    flinchy

flinchy Member

i figured i may as well save a little extra and buy a better set of speakers
    and headphones at a later date
    or vice cersa
    and thanks for the info about the clipon mic, looks a lot nicer than the average headset (one of the reasons i wanted the steelseries neckbands is they didn't look dicky with the mic)

19. Whisper

Whisper Member

Christ, do you wear headphones to look good, or do you wear them to get good sound?

20. zdream

zdream Member

If you want quality for ~$160. An AD400 + Zalman clip on mic is the way to go... the headphones don't hurt ur ears after extensive use also.