$100 Bunnings Build Challenge

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mad_mic3, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Mate I can and have built a decent rig in a small cardboard box. I'd imagine you were looking for something a bit better than that, or a plastic storage tub. I think you need to clarify what standard you are looking for, or you'll just get a bunch of cut up storage tubs that all look like crap.
    Its possible to make quite a decent case with that budget at bunnings, why encourage that level of ghetto?

2. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

He's not suggesting you use a storage tub as the case, he's suggesting an alternative to donated plex, being the plastic tubs can be cut up if you want for example a coloured fan ring or side of your case or a bracket for something...

3. echineon

echineon Member

I am definitely keen on the game. However I have only one PC and I have no intention to part it out to run the challenge because I'm looking to do ITX build but mine currently is mATX. Given that, is there any standard to: mobo, PSU size, how many storage and optical device? Let's say I'm looking to do a ITX build with ODD for HTPC. What about savaged part (HDD mount, ODD mount, stand off for mobo)? Also since every component has to be hooked up (fair) but for example, I can ask for donated ITX board but I may not need the CPU or RAM, that will still satisfy the requirement that the case is fit for purpose but save me the trouble of looking for donated CPU or RAM right? Sorry if I didn't make sense.

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm not sure that any PC hardware counts. Its all about the case, and the case alone, AFAIK. What you populate it with is up to you. Not so sure about case parts, like the mounts etc. I would guess not permitted. I doubt anyone would object to mobo standoffs though, but if so, those plastic wall plugs for putting screws into brick etc are perfect. A pack of those for a couple of bucks, cut to whatever length you like, make great standoffs.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Hi Everyone

Simplicity or basic stuff/things often get over looked at, people get to wrapped up in that if something cost more that it is or has to be better eg: the "NBN" "NRL etc etc
    The saying that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", "Ghetto" is still a style for some, others prefer "Bling Bling" over function, yes its still a style, etc etc

as post #42 replied:thumbup:, "its about thinking outside the box", I/m not saying put it all in a cheap box/container & saying look what I made, any fool can do that

Use your creative minds & express yourself's, I already know that there is a lot of talented people on "OCAU", some sit behind a silent keyboard, others express them selfs daily

echineon, people can give you/donate hardware, working or not, there is No requirement that the system has to boot up or power on for that same reason, but if you have 20 hard drives they have to be cabled up

A regular check of the F/S section my help out with Hardware Free be's

With regards to motherboard tray & I/0 shield, "Yes everyone can use the stand offs", maybe use the hdd caddies as a templet

If anyone else wants to join you are more than welcome, read post #1, 2nd January is the "Last Entry Date"

Don't forget it's all about having Fun:)

The Only Person You Need To Impress Is Yourself:)

any more questions just ask away:)

6. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Think outside the box eh.... Would that be the big green box with the Bunnings sign on it?
    Because if you are going to think outside the box then it's a good place because sausage sizzle.

I only just saw this thread today which is a shame because its nearly January and I'm not sure I'll have time to work out a plan, specs etc by Jan2.

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

You have till the end of April... January is just your first opportunity. Mines already mostly finished :D, but I'll hold off posting it till the end of January at least I think.

8. havabeer

havabeer Member

i still need to find a cheap/old system to build my idea around

9. OP
    OP
    mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

vladtepes, put your name down, than work at your own pace to meet the finish deadline:)

Ratzz, its good to hear:)

havabeer, i'll check early next week, I mite have something that you can use:)

10. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

OK, bugger it, I'm in !

Another question - is it OK to build it, show all the evidence and then break it down before the deadline but still be entered?

MODERATORS - perhaps sticky this thread as it will otherwise get lost among the titled build threads.

I've started a thread as mentioned, others are free to use that as a 'template' if it is useful for you.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  11. Nateid03

Nateid03 Member

i'm keen for this one if i havent missed the boat

12. OP
    OP
    mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

vladtepes , yes that would still work:)
    Nateid03, welcome aboard:)
    @ echineon, ill add you to the entre also:)

i'll do an update on post #1 by early next week
    eg: contestant added, where to add a copy of links to there logs & any additional info:)

vladtepes likes this.
  13. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Oh perhaps another idea. While the budget is $100 many of us will not want to buy things that we may already have at home.
    I agree everything used has to be from Bunnings AND included in the budget, but would it be acceptable to take a photo of the item and its price tag, to evidence what it WOULD cost if it had to be purchased, and then that has to come off what the builder has a 'remaining' in their budget. Make sense?

Welding rods might be an example.

14. Eisenhorn

Eisenhorn Member

Count me in. i wanna give this a go.

15. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I also wondered about that. If I buy a $130 saw blade, which is obviously not solely for the construction of this case, and is in no way a component of the case, or a consumable, do I add a pro rata value for the saw blade, or is the entire value of the blade to be counted (in which case I can't build the case within the rules)? If I need a couple dozen m3 screws, from a box of 200 I already had in the shed, do I add a pro rata value for the screws? If I want a smear of glue somewhere, and I have a bottle in the shed, do I add a pro rata value for that?

How about a thread tap? Its a tool, not a component or a consumable. Its a tool I need anyway, it appears to have gone missing from my set. Thats 30 bucks gone from my budget if I have to include it.

17. OP
    OP
    mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Hi Everyone

welcome aboard eisenhorn:)

1: Welding rod/s, solder/s, nuts/bolts, rivets, thread bar, glue, nails, screws,wire, hinges, paints/stains, adhesives, sandpaper, resin/s, matting, cloth, etc, etc Are part of you $100 budget as they are part of your joining method/ consumables

2: Saw blade is a tool, as previously mentioned with regards to Tools, You can beg, borrow, lend & buy what every tools you want, "With the Exception of Any CNC Tool which Are Not Allowed in Any Form"

If most cases/some of us could go into our sheds as we have new or leftover stock/materials that could be used for free, But where is the Challenge to that ???

That's why your 1st step should be to work out what you are going to build/ want to make & do a complete breakdown/ $$ costing

At the end of the day it comes down to how "honest you are with your self" as to weather or not you 100% stick within the budget

Hopefully this help with the questions

mad_mic3:)

vladtepes likes this.
  18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Just because its in my shed does not make it 'free'. I paid money for it, from Bunnings 99% of the time.
    Is it necessary to go and buy a new box of M3 screws when I already have plenty? Is it necessary to include the entire box of screws in my costs when I only want to use a small percentage of them in the build, or can I estimate a pro rata cost?

19. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

I do hope you missed the post immediately before yours where all this is explained. Some people will start an argument over anything lol.

20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm asking for clarification, not arguing.
    Forget it. If I can't ask questions without bullshit comments like that, I'm out.