$100 Bunnings Build Challenge

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mad_mic3, Oct 17, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Has any of the other contestants started their builds yet ???
    if so don't forget to do a build log:)

2. OP
    OP
    mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Sent all the entrants a pm:)

dr deathy ????? are you still around as it come up an error with your name

3. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

4. havabeer

havabeer Member

well i will take 1st 2nd and 3rd place

Defyant likes this.
  5. broccoli

broccoli Member

congratulations! havabeer!

6. OP
    OP
    mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Thanx's ruffdayz:)

@ havabeer & broccoli, i'm still waiting to hear back from the others, i've only received 1 reply so far:)
    than there's this old turtle that's still at the starting line:)

7. oohms

oohms Member

I'm still in! Posted a thread and going to bunnings today

8. OP
    OP
    mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

sweet as:)

if the others would like to confirm 1 way or another that would be good:)

9. oohms

oohms Member

So i'm planning the build and just realised that bunnings don't sell window glass and i can't find any substitute except for expensive acrylic panels.. I'll keep looking to see if they have some kind of see through plastic sheet I can use for a window

10. OP
    OP
    mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

check all the aisle, eg: arts & crafts, rack/ shelving, bath section, storage containers & the trade section out back:)

11. echineon

echineon Member

Looking forward to see what everyone comes up with bunnings. I withdrew simply due to the range and pricing at bunnings somewhat limited. Hope we will have future budget challenge with wider range of supplier. Also all the best to participants. Madmice your project hasnt been updated so I'm looking forward to it. Really impressed with havabeer's.

12. OP
    OP
    mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

echineon , limited in what way ???, yes some of their prices have gone up since masters folded, but seeing how most areas/ people have access to a bunning's store is why i choose that store over others:)
    depends on how this 1 goes as to weather or not there's another budget challenge, but i do have some ideas for future 1's in mind :)
    as for my project entree, i haven't even been shopping or looking for items/ materials for it yet, r/l has taken up all my time trying to sort out health problems, but i will get something across the finish line by deadline:)
    havabeer got in nice & early:)

13. OP
    OP
    mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Time for me to hit the bunnings aisles and workout my plan of attack:)

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'll be impressed if the entrants can pull this off. I can't get out of Bunnings for less than $50 when buying a couple of screws and some bin liners :D

15. echineon

echineon Member

What I meant was there're small specialty item that Bunnings either don't carry or carry but in bulk. Example is the perspex, they sell $50+ for a large perspex but for a small PC case, a $10 sheet will do. Of course I'm not saying Bunnings is a bad choice as it is accessible for everyone but let's say you have a budget of $100 for material only, shop online or offline is fine, here's the time frame would be more flexible. My mindset when I'm doing a fully custom case is I want to make something that will serve me a long time and I want to be proud of it.

I think it's absolutely doable in $100 range if you shop around, and if the participants share their local knowledge would be fantastic. For me, I would love to find out some shop in Sydney selling high quality birch plywood seeing as I had difficulty finding one. Don't get me wrong, I love to have a small competition for OCAU as a community to get that modding inspiration to go. Only this competition is a little restrictive for me as my idea involved a donor case and I would like to participate in future event. Looking forward to see your creation nonetheless mad_mic3.

16. OP
    OP
    mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

@ oohms, flooring/ carpet aisle, clear plastic in 4 different thickness's starting @ $7.95 mtr:)

@ broccoli, just like a weekly house budget, its about only buying what is necessary 1st up, than if any thing after that is a bonus:)

@ echineon, all good, i hear what your saying:)
    i usually buy direct from a supplier or manufacturer for them same reasons:)

Taking an extra 5 or so minutes when we do something or make something is a life skill/ quality that money can't buy:)

$100 is more than doable, if you look at the resources case makers have at there disposal , R&D, Bulk buying power, labour, etc etc, most would be shocked at the markup on a retail made case

i'll probably put up a mud map / sketch of my design for my project in the next couple of days:)

echineon likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Hi Everyone

So i spent a couple of hours down the shed over the past couple of days trying to do a couple of things for around the house, but my body is playing well at all with it

So its time for me to hand in my modders card till things pick up health wise:( , Yes i plead defeat for the moment:(

@ Havabeer, pm me your banking details for a refund of 1st, 2nd & 3rd price money or your build cost $$

oohms, no need to start your build if you havn't already buying materials

Sorry for the disapointment

mad_mic3

18. echineon

echineon Member

Sorry to hear mice, all the best with your recovery. Please put the modder card in a safe place and we'll come and take it thanks. :D

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

sorry you're not well mad mic, hope you feel better soon

20. OP
    OP
    mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

All good gents, i'll whip something up at a latter date:)