SOLVED 100% packetloss

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by desudesu, May 6, 2015.

1. desudesu

desudesu Member

hey guys

i am using pingplotter to test out my internet connection after using tracert on cmd.

i have found that there is a 100% PL between my computer and modem to the final destination.

I am able to open up websites and do other things but trying to play games at times is nearly impossible. I am suspecting it is the modems fault but I just want to make sure before I have to contact OPTUS to get a new modem.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  2. Rezin

Rezin Member

What modem model; game; final destination?

3. callan

callan Member

Many hosts won't respond to pings - particularly gaming servers.

Callan

4. OP
    OP
    desudesu

desudesu Member

it is the Netgear CG3000V2

and it is any server i connect to, i will get a readout at the final destination, but anything inbetween there is 100% packetloss.

i have tried everything from google to optus and WOT etc.

5. Renza

Renza Member

Are you able to access websites? If so, you aren't getting 100% packet loss. It could be some device stripping out ICMP requests along the way.

6. OP
    OP
    desudesu

desudesu Member

i am able to access everything but im not sure what is going on just wanted to make sure.

i have put in a request with optus to get them to come and check the modem out because this one is brand new. i just dont understand why teh gear that they give you is so crap.

7. Renza

Renza Member

if you are able to access everything, then you are definitely not getting 100% packet loss. What do you see if you run this test? http://www.pingtest.net/

8. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Can you post a screenshot of one of your attempts at using pingplotter

9. koopz

koopz Member

netflix users on your providers network is the simple answer

we're also having a stream of iiNet users calling in @work with similar issues of late

10. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Was going to say if you can still access sites there is no way you are getting 100% PL.

11. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

Impossible .. if you are getting to the final server there is not 100% packet loss.

12. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Quick question. Have you reset the router?

13. Sunder

Sunder Member

Type into a command prompt "tracert -d <target>" (Standard disclaimer about no quotes, and no angular brackets)

Post results here.

Alternately, use a TCP traceroute/ping tool instead of the built in ICMP traceroute/ping tools.

Many routers will drop ICMP, but leave TCP packets intact.

All that said, why do you care if someone is dropping ping packets intentionally, if you're getting a good connection to where you want to go? No offense, but it seems to be that this is a case of "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing". You know enough to know that packet loss is usually a bad thing. Not enough to know that in some cases it's perfectly normal and nothing to do with you or faulty equipment.

14. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Are you not simply pinging something that is blocking ICMP traffic? (to avoid DDOS, etc).

I agree traceroutes are better, as it should ping each hop three times and shows you where any latency exists on the path between you and the destination, before they block any further ICMP (ping) traffic..

15. OP
    OP
    desudesu

desudesu Member

i dont know what happened before, but it must have been some software on the computer blocking all the information. Because after I reformatted the computer I am able to see tracert pings.

so i guess it is up to optus to fix their network now.

16. Sunder

Sunder Member

Probably your personal firewall then. Maybe should have picked it up when you said:

What's wrong with Optus? As of last night, I was getting 10ms ping to Speedtest.net, and 29.2 out of a supposed 30mbps link, and I'm only 1 suburb away from you (assuming 2111 is your post code). This was during peak time.

17. OP
    OP
    desudesu

desudesu Member

there has been major ping, lag issues with the service. I have been getting like 10Mb/s rather than the 100Mb/s during off peak so there are still major issues.