$100 Replacement Ipod Headphones

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Kevwann, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Kevwann

Kevwann Member

Can anyone recommend me some in ear headphones for my ipod for around the $100 or under mark?

From using a pair of Allen & Heath Xone 53's that I DJ with, the stock ipod earphones sound crappy.

As the ipod's only worth $180 I probably only want to spend about $100 max for some new headphones.

Was looking at the CX300 by Sennhesier. Anyone had any experience with these, or can anyone recommend something around that price range?

I want some in ear phones so that they don't look massive on my head on my way to work.

So if anyone has any recommendations I would be grateful.

Cheers

2. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

for that price you used to be able to get some really quite awesome sets, with the US dollar as it is now...its much harder

the EP630s from Creative are basically the same as CX300's, they only differ slightly in driver spec, but in other words they are basically exactly the same bar price, 630s cost nearly half that of CX300's.

see what the going street price for Er6i's by etymotics, if thats how you spell it, just google it. they are pretty decent, i considered them at one point but went with super.fi 5's instead(out of your price range, about 2x your price range)

I'll post a few other ones when my brain isn't so dead...its 4am.

3. Sorrento_b

Sorrento_b Member

The oem iPod headphones suck, I never got used to how bad they sound and how they were uncomfortable to wear... after a little while I replaced them.

I got a set of Sony headphones with a noise cancelling thingy and they are ok in the sound quality department but they are very comfortable and they noise cancelling device makes them work even in very loud conditions: I fly a lot and when I am hearing music the plane's engines noise is not even audible.

I would recomend a good brand of normal headphones, specially the ones that go inside the ear canal: they come with several size of replacement plugs so you can wear them comfortably. The Sony I got are good to what I need them, but I wouldn't recomend them if you use the iPod on a daily basis: my iPod is hooked to my Mazda CX-7 stereo 24/7, only when I travel I take the iPod away and use the headphones.

Btw, at the small headphone level don't go near the Bose ones... IMO those are the same thing than cheaper ones, Bose only excells in the big huge headphones that make you look like a flight controller, lol.

Good luck

4. ley.ben

ley.ben Member

Hey, I have been using these Vsonic R02-Pro for roughly 8 months and I can say that for the price, these are great! They come with a variety of earbuds to suit different ear sizes etc. I can't see myself going anywhere near a stock set of buds again after buying these. If you do not want the sound isolation that the Vsonics provide, I have heard good things about the Yuin range of earbuds.

Good luck either way!

5. orbisfactor

orbisfactor Member

bought the sennheiser cx300's for my phone(radio for a-league matches, music player for work), very comfortable and sound good, they do put an emphasis on bass though which can be annoying, depending on the song being played

6. sold

sold Member

I just received a pair of the Head-Direct RE2 canalphones. Don't really have anything to compare them to but have been good so far :thumbup: Also considered the Vsonic R02-Pro, but didn't want white.

7. OP
    OP
    Kevwann

Kevwann Member

Nice.

Well I went to JB Hifi and the CX300 were only in asymetrical style. I wanted even length ones. So i went to Harvey Norman to look and pricematch but they didnt have any symmetrical ones either.

They have CX400's there which were symmetrical for $149 but he matched the $90 of the CX300's, so I was happy. Put them in and they didnt sound too great, but then I pushed them in further and it made ALOT of difference!

Happy with my purchase.

8. mixology

mixology Member

Yuin PK2 or PK3 tho they look like them cheap 2 dollar headphones from some Chinese store its hella good for that price.