$1000 High Quality PC stereo setup

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by oh_noes, Mar 23, 2012.

1. KillerBunny

KillerBunny Member

errr no.

You don't want to use unbalanced inputs to the HS80m's.

You need balanced inputs, which requires an external DAC like an mbox mini which adds another 300ish to your budget.

STX only has RCA out's. You also have issues with power humming and buzzing with studio monitors.

I have the HS80m's for my PC and VAF DCX's for my lounge room. The VAF speakers are far superior overall, but for 750-1000 dollars the HS80m's are pretty good. You just need a good USB DAC as well though.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. OP
    OP
    oh_noes

oh_noes Member

So time to bump and and pull the trigger on these.

This thread has brought up the interesting discussion of what type of speakers. I under exaggerated how much focus I should put on 5" vs 6" and the effect they (appear) make in the real world.

So my two options are:

MONITOR M612SR $950
    6" + RIBBON MEDIUM SIZE

MONITOR M502SR $795
    HIGH END 5" + RIBBON SMALL SIZE

What factors should I take in to decide if the 5" or 6" is best for my needs?

It's truely "small room" audiophile 100% music listening. It's a standard bedroom size (3m x 4m) carpeted room with a large office desk. I'm not 100% set on the USB DAC (I'm no longer going the Asus sound card) I will use but that's for another thread.

So far I'm leaning towards the M502SR.

I have my 2.0 setup in the lounge room (although it's not the best room for it :/) but I am looking forward to a super HQ office setup.

3. loefah

loefah Member

I'd honestly go with the 6", my first pair of speakers were 5" and I was hugely disappointed with them - the 6" pair were far superior.

Out of curiosity what are you using to power these?

4. Buttocks

Buttocks Member

5. Comma

Comma Member

Can you listen to them both? Personally, it's much of a muchness. You're going to likely get a slightly thicker low end from the 6"s and drop a little bit of brightness. They're both probably going to sound decent if you set them up properly.

6. OP
    OP
    oh_noes

oh_noes Member

I've gone the 6" (M612SR in Black). Now time to find a cheap bang for buck caudio USB DAB and 50wrms Desktop Amp. Oh, and stands.

7. IzzyBlues

IzzyBlues Member

I have the M-Audio DSM2's, bought them for $800 on storedj.com.au. Couldn't be happier with them. They aren't set up well, but this was the best I could do with the room I have right now. In a few weeks I'll try and fix it up.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9097/setup1r.jpg

They are connected through SPDIF into an Auzentech HomeTheatre HD.

8. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

I'm no audiophile but I think you'll be happy with the M612SRs - I know I would be. I got a chance to demo the M502SRs a few months ago and they were great. The clarity and punch were amazing for the price. Eddie played some Steely Dan for me on them and closing my eyes I could have almost sworn I was in the room with the band playing live.

It was hard to believe such a big sound was coming from those speakers.

Oh, and I also got a chance to listen to the Firesprite 502SVs you mentioned in the original post but they are more suited for home theatre. I felt they really needed to be paired with a sub to showcase their full potential. Using them as standalone bookshelfs for music they lack any of the punch and overall 'loudness' and that 'being there' feeling you experience with the monitors. I think you made the right choice.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  9. lithos

lithos Member

Nice. Bloody good choice of auditioning music. The Dan mix everything equally - I love how it's all the same volume, yet doesn't come across as flat.

10. OP
    OP
    oh_noes

oh_noes Member

Purchased. Now just need a USB DAC and the Amp.

I'm thinking of going the super DIY route and building my own cmedia USB DAC. Either that or save my man hours and just get a FIIO E10. The E10 is cheap enough. Then I can leave my upgrade path down the line to a much more defined Burwood USB DAC.

In true OCAU fashion, I've blown my budget and ended up spending $1k on JUST the speakers.

So wadda you reckon OCAU?

FIIO E10 ~$80 Delivered
    Emotiva Mini X $319.65 Delivered

Can I get a better USB DAC or Amp for that money? I'd prefer to spend only $200 on a desktop Amp (I only need 2x 50wrms @8)

11. KriiV

KriiV Member

Depending on what you will be listening to, I would sincerely recommend KRK's. :thumbup: You'll be pleasantly suprised. 6" or above is best.

12. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I've always wondered about DACs. I've never seen a music producer use one. I wonder how modern audio interfaces designed for ASIO measure up.

I do however think hi-fi is a bit... you know.

13. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

I stopped trying to be an 'audiophile' when i realized i wasn't actually listening to the music, i was listening to the sound, and that i wasn't actually enjoying the music anymore.

So I set my stuff up, and left it at that, now I just enjoy the music, the only thing i need to change is the volume lol.

I think people go through a phase of when they get something new/better than what they had before, it sounds weird at first, you just have to get used to it before you fiddle with it.

14. proffesso

proffesso Member

bit late to the party here, but im looking to setup my own little home office with a decent sound as well.

mostly im concerned about the nearfield/close setup, as ideally the speakers would be on the desk.

currently ive narrowed my choices down to -

Eclipse TD 510mk2 http://www.eclipse-td.net/products/td510mk2/index.html
    Quad 12L2 http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/Product.aspx?lang=En&Tab=31
    Goldenear Aon http://www.goldenear.com/products/aon-series

I havent, and probably wont be able to audition the Eclipse or Goldenear speakers, but the reviews are glowing

any thoughts? the 510 only have a 10cm driver, so bass extension would be minimal and may need a sub to go with it. on the other hand, I never go loud...just want a "full" sound.

15. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I agree, I think consistency is the key. It took me ages to 'get to know' my monitors. But now I have a good idea of what the sound out of them means and that is really useful when I'm making music.

16. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

mastering audio is a whole different kettle of fish tho, you have to have an audiophiles ear for that.

17. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I'm looking through these responses here and I'm not seeing any mention of subwoofers... there is no way a 5 or 6" driver is going to output any sort of deep bass! Unless you never listen to anything with bass, I see this as a pretty glaring omission. I've built a system around a similar price lately... however I've made some pretty radical choices (It's a little "dodgy" and I'm bit of a basshead, but it works great)... this is what I ended up with. All of it was bought used:

Asus Xonar D2X PCIe Sound Card - $120
    Wharfedale 8" 80w RMS Bookshelf Speakers (these are lovely and flat for monitoring) - $50
    240W RMS 2-channel Hertz Car Amplifier (puts out 80w x2 at 8-ohm) for bookshelfs - $30
    Dell ATX PSU with 250w on 12v rail to power the above - $10
    15" Audiopipe 1000w RMS Competition SPL subwoofer - $120
    Custom ported built box to suit - $130
    Yamaha P3500S PA 2000w RMS Power Amplifier (1200w RMS at 8ohm for sub) - $430

Now you probably think I'm a lunatic and not a true "audiophile", but it is the most awesome sounding system I've ever heard and listened to critically. I've had friends over and they're just blown away (sometimes literally :lol:) by it. I used to have the AudioEngine A5's and a sealed 12" peerless subwoofer to match, but it can't match the clarity, range of frequencies (sub 30hz is glorious) and power of my current system. Only gripe is that my old 12" Peerless did have tighter bass, but it couldn't handle lows too good. As for the A5's I never liked the bass hump as they just couldn't do bass, and you can't tweak low-pass and high pass filters like you can with separate amplifier/speaker combos.

In other words, if you want quality with a bit of flexibility, go DIY and get some amp/passive speaker combos. If you need practicality and style though, powered bookshelfs are a good choice. Don't get me wrong, DIY isn't always the prettiest :lol:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  18. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

You are wrong.

I myself make bass driven music on 6" monitors, so does Opiou. RESO only uses 8"'s.

I routinely shake my windows and move items around my desk with my 6" monitors.

19. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

That's not good, you have to do something to stop the vibration, even if its just some sticky foam on the bottom of the speakers

20. lithos

lithos Member

Good drivers plus good box design will get you down to 50-40Hz with 6 or 8 inchers.