$1000 on headphone setup

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Shadow27, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Shadow27

Shadow27 Member

Hey i'm looking to spend up to $1000 on a headphone setup.

Currently I have an Chaintech AV-710 flashed to Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 which runs to my surround sound setup (Kenwood receiver, Wharfedale Xarus towers, Wharfedale SW-150 sub, etc).

Now I want something I can listen to at night in my room. Open headphones are fine. I will be using the PC with the Chaintech AV-710 for the headphone setup. I also have a Cowon D2 mp3 player I would like to use from time to time.

So I guess I need:
    Headphones
    Amp
    Maybe DAC?

I cant spend over $1000 on all this combined.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. Idryss

Idryss Member

Try some of these. Also maybe ask on the forums there abouts. Marcus should be able to assist you immensely.

3. OP
    OP
    Shadow27

Shadow27 Member

Thanks for the link.

I was thinking:
    Alessandro MS-2
    O1: Amp-DAC

Then maybe some canalphones with the money left over for the Cowon D2? But this is not important. Only if money permits.

4. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

If it were me I'd skip the MS2 and go straight for the MSPro. They still sound great without amplification, but if you add an amp later you'll get improved sound quality overall.

The MS2/O1 combo isn't bad, but it's not amazing either. The MS2 also don't need amplification, but IMO the MSPro straight from a decent PC soundcard/headphone jack sounds better than the MS2 does even from a good amp.

5. Grizz_li

Grizz_li Member

+1 to this idea.
    I've heard nothing but excellent reviews and comments of the MS-Pro.( Almost sounded Microsoft :rolleyes:)

6. Bleemv1

Bleemv1 Member

or you could get a good headphone amp (like the Littledot MK3) and a cheaper pair of headphones ($500) and leave room for upgrades in the future?

7. Idryss

Idryss Member

Id get the good headphones now and a amp later. Amps are infintely more upgradable/expensive than headphones.

8. UB3R

UB3R Member

wow this thread just blew any/all of my previous opinions on how overpriced PC headphones are out of the water... $800+ on a set of headphones is amazing! do they really sound that much better than a $150 pair? i.e. 5-6 times better?

btw, this post is not a criticism at all, i am just amazed there is a market for such uber expensive units, what makes them so expensive and worth it?

9. NRGU

NRGU Member

ones ears would have to be VERY finely tuned. Or ones wallet :p

10. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

It's pretty easy to hear the difference actually.

You'd probably have to have hearing damage to not be able to hear the difference.

11. yihfeng

yihfeng Member

Don't click on the headphone amps/sources page on headphonic then!

12. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Look at how much people spend on speakers - there's definitely a market! I wouldn't mind trying out some MS-Pros somewhere down the track... when I've made my millions. :lol:

13. OP
    OP
    Shadow27

Shadow27 Member

I love my music, my neighbours not so much lol. I figure I can get far greater sound quality for $1000 in a headphone setup than I could with the same budget for speakers. I have my "party" speakers, but I want something that I can really appreciate the music with.

Still hesitant to spend that much, but I know I will want to upgrade if I go for lower end stuff first off. Thats the thing with audio, theirs almost always something better sounding out there, you just need deep pockets :tired: