$1000 to code me an Outlook plugin

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by shredder, Jun 29, 2013.

1. shredder

shredder Member

This is a rough brief:
    Thread update 8 August:

I did find an OCAUer to do the job but they weren't able to complete the work in the short term, so we had to abort. So the offer is open again if any good freelance coders want to give it a go. I will need something working in the fairly short term i.e. 1-2 weeks if possible. Basically it's a simple Outlook plugin that saves emails, and I'll pay around $1000 for it, source and ip. Needs to work with Outlook 2003-2013 inclusive (unless that is a large issue, in which case it is negotiable).

Contact me for further details.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

You know GMAIL can do this or is that not an option?

3. OP
    OP
    shredder

shredder Member

Gmail isn't an option.

I should clarify that when I say folders, I mean folders on a local hard drive. And by saving, I mean as a standard PC readable format such as PDF (+ attachments) or perhaps eml (with attachments embedded).

4. power

power Member

There's stuff like this available, look into archiving moreso than saving out emails the way you are suggesting.

5. OP
    OP
    shredder

shredder Member

Thanks power I'll extend my searching in that direction.

If anyone knows any specific existing tools of this type I'd love to hear about them too.

6. Zoltag

Zoltag Member

Have a look at automatic export as well. Outlook may already be able to do this for you, without having to install any plugins, as an email rule (cant check, as I dont have Outlook on this machine, sorry).

7. OP
    OP
    shredder

shredder Member

I've updated the op.

8. OP
    OP
    shredder

shredder Member

Just to let everyone know - I've had two expressions of possible interest. I'll be getting back to those guys with details later today, so they can decide whether they want to go ahead.

If there turns out to be more than one person wanting to go ahead, I'll talk it over with them to see what would be best for all involved.

Cheers all :thumbup:

9. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

There are:
    - Oasys
    - Leap (targeted for law firms but technically can do this)
    - Sharepoint with 3rd party tool (but your budget obviously doesn't go this deep)

Few others, but from experience, they're all really bad. Terrible support and have very flawed designs.

Developing a solution wouldn't be as feasible as a 1 - 2 week turn around either and certainly $1k wouldn't get you that far for someone that can competently do it.

You *may* find someone that can do it, but I'm being realistic about this.

10. OP
    OP
    shredder

shredder Member

All of the commercial solutions include a lot of redundant features that I'm not looking for. Far from it to think I want to replicate or even approach that kind of thing. I think my specific and focused brief will be fairly achievable, but of course we'll have to wait and see.

11. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

The first option I listed does specifically and predominantly what you need it for, without the 'redundant' features of the others out there, hence why I listed it first.

It's not the best product ever made, but it does do what you need it for and you should be comparing your customised application against it.

Would I use it? No - like most 3rd party software I deal with they all have significant flaws and I'd be going down the same path as yourself, except being realistic about the budget and time frame.

As mentioned, you *may* get lucky and find the right person, but in my experience from what you're expecting and other considerations I see, it will be a time sink.

12. leck

leck Member

depending on what email system you're using (exchange etc) you could use something like email2db and a bcc/cc (auto or whatever) on required emails.

so outbound email that you want caught, you bcc/cc to an internal address.

I did something similar ages ago which worked pretty well. Worked centrally so no client side installs. You could do the same thing very easily if your a nix backend too with some scripting/parsing.

13. f3n1x

f3n1x Member

When it comes down to it, it really really looks like what you're looking for is CRM system with email functionality.

Dynamics CRM has an outlook connector and would probably suit. Its quite easy to track inbound/outbound emails within CRM, and if you have a client record with an associated email address in the CRM database for the recipient(or sender) it's automatic.

I'm not the biggest fan of some MS software but CRM isn't too bad.

As far as custom cut down crm-like projects, 2 weeks would barely even get you an alpha build let alone a stable polished end-product.

14. OP
    OP
    shredder

shredder Member

Thanks guys. There are obviously a lot of factors to consider.