1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

10Gbe Network Query

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Gooliez, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Gooliez

Gooliez Member

Hi guys, i'm planning on setting up a Lancache.net system to cache games for my LANs / home network.

system wise, I Will end up running a AMD FX 8150, 16 (maybe 32gb) Ram, 5 x 1tb Raid 0. Ubuntu / Lancache.net (when i get it built)

now i have an old Cisco 24 Port GB Switch, Cisco Linksys SRW2024 V1.2
    (only use about 10 absolute max for the LAN ) and it has 2 SFP ports.

i'm not 100%, probably only 1% to be honest, but believe i'll end up bottlenecking at the network from Server to Switch when all 10 computers want to "update" something ( unlikely, but best to be prepared).

from basic research i need a SFP Cable and a 10GBe card ( listed below) but from what i've heard, there can be compatibility issues with cables / cards / switches

do i just need those 2 things ?
    network card - SFP cable - Switch ? or do i need another little device to plug into switch which i plug the cable into ?

any info would be appreciated !

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDC9MG6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AE2OZG2NN3099&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WJ1MYGP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AI6GZ5PBWGE5G&psc=1

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  2. fad

fad Member

Gooliez likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Gooliez

Gooliez Member

would i be able to use the existing Cisco switch i have with those 2 i've linked ? or would i have compatibility issues ?

does brands all work with each other ? or do you recommend sticking with 1 brand all the way through ?

4. fad

fad Member

SFP ports are 1Gb, SFP+ ports are 10Gb. I assume you have a 1Gbe switch?

You can LAG your ports on that 1Gb switch to 2 or more ports. This will help with the bandwidth. without buying another switch.

Gooliez likes this.
  5. dead_man

dead_man Member

will depend on your switch
    and also what disks you are running
    if its only mechanical then 1gbe is fine as that will max out the 1gb link, if SSD's then you can go 10gbe

Pugs and Gooliez like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Gooliez

Gooliez Member

yeah have a 1GBe switch, it's an older model Cisco, so i'll take a stab and say it's only SFP and not SFP+

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  7. OP
    OP
    Gooliez

Gooliez Member

yeah mechanical drives at the moment. basically getting it setup and seeing how it goes before i consider switching to a raid of small SSD's.
    I would have thought that a raid of mechanical would end up bottlenecking. Cool ok, well i guess i'll put the 10gbe on hold till i upgrade to SSD's then
    at least now i know i only need those 2 parts and "Maybe" another switch, depending on what mine can handle.

thanks for the input guys !

8. fad

fad Member

Gooliez likes this.
  9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Late to the party, but I definitely wouldn't bother with 10GbE if you don't have the switching or modules.

LACP/LAG is far cheaper for a home setup.

Pugs and Gooliez like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Gooliez

Gooliez Member

sounds like with what i'm starting off with, just the 1GBe will do fine.

definitely dont understand what LACP / LAG is, but if i find i'm limited with what i have. can always go down this path instead. would this work with Ubuntu / Lancache ? as i've tried other setups and "WEELLLLLLL" over my head to get it working properly. lol

11. elvis

At its most basic, it uses 2 (or more) network connections to deliver more bandwidth.

How that works depends on a lot of things. But if all your clients are capped at 1GbE, and there's several of them, that's the perfect situation to use LACP on the server to ensure it doesn't get saturated.

NSanity and Gooliez like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Gooliez

Gooliez Member

sounds like something worth giving a go at. after a quick google, which is best LACP or LAG ? ( or easiest to setup ) on ubuntu

13. OP
    OP
    Gooliez

Gooliez Member

wife took a photo, switch ended up being a Cisco Linksys SRW2024 V1.2
    which has "mini GBIC combo" so that puts a hole in my initial plan anyway.. lol

14. elvis

This is where things get a bit crap, because different vendors use different terms to describe things. Generally speaking for computer to switch, you want LACP (often referred to as "dynamic link aggregation" as well).

You mentioned you have a Cisco switch, so Google its model number along with "802.3ad", which is a common standard that most equipment adheres to. Do the same with Ubuntu and that number, and with any luck you should get the two taking together.

Have a second computer somewhere handy that can admin the switch in case you lock your Ubuntu machine out.

15. OP
    OP
    Gooliez

Gooliez Member

16. OP
    OP
    Gooliez

Gooliez Member

That 4 port NIC linked, cant seem to find drivers for it ( for ubuntu )
    would ubuntu manage to get that working by itself ?

17. elvis

Linux (and Ubuntu) will support most network cards out of the box. You shouldn't need to go downloading third party drivers.

Gooliez likes this.
  18. Rass

Rass Member

It used to be with the link aggregation that you could only get the expected level of bandwidth if you had multiple MAC addresses, is this still a thing?

eg, you have a bundle of 5 1gig links, and one PC on each end, you only can expect 1gig.
    If you have 5 PC's on one end, and 1 or more on the other, you can get the full 5 gig out of it.

It's been ages since I did anything with link aggregation...

19. elvis

If you want 1:1, yes.

If you want 1:many, you don't need to hash on MAC. The OP's example is more likely the latter, with one server and many clients at a LAN, so it's an easier setup.

Rass likes this.
  20. McRutch

McRutch Member

I was curious as to what Lancache was so I had a read of it.. what purpose does it serve that sharing a folder on 1 PC containing the game over a network can't do? Seems like a waste of a powerful server :shock: