10gbe SFP Modules and Switch

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by rainwulf, Apr 17, 2012.

1. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Anyone know where to get an 8 port switch with 10gbe SFP ports?
    I have a server with a dual port 10gbe SFP NIC in it, and need to connect it to something.

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

you won't find hybrid swutches it will be fibre or copper..

small fibre switch then add that to the back haul.. (is just guessing/ making stuff up now)

3. FiShy

FiShy Member

Where does he mention Fibre or Copper?

And what do you mean you cant get a switch that does both... thats the whole idea of Small Form Plugables.

@OP, not sure you will find a 8 port that does 2x sfp @ 10gig, might need to get 16-24 port

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  4. ltd73

ltd73 Member

assuming you are talking about 8x10/100/1000 + 2+x10G uplinks, there's plenty of them out there from a variety of vendors. maybe not 8 ports but certainly 16, 20, 24 etc.
    typically you get what you pay for though, just like consumer stuff, "prosumer" is often just consumer rebadged at a higher price point, not actually better quality.

is this home use? or something else?

if you mean 8x10G SFP/SFP+ then indeed there are plenty of those too. same as above, maybe not 8 ports but 16/20/24/...

umm, yes you will....

5. Pugs

Pugs Member

oh ok Cool.... :cool::thumbup:

6. FiShy

FiShy Member

I couldnt find any 8 ports when i look, but my google skills are up with my grammar skills.

7. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Ideally, an 8 or 16 port gigabit, with 2 SFP ports at 10gbe would be perfect for me.

That, or the same switch with 10gbe optical ports, because i can get the SFP modules for that very easy.

10gbe ethernet SFP modules though.. holy shit $$$

8. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

9. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

sounds like someone may have overspecced the new server purchase

yes 10g is getting more widespread but unless you have the infrustucture it can be an expensive startup while its good to have the flexability for future but im sure the gbe port will give you the capacity that you need now

10. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

this is just my personal storage :D
    i have a super charged dual port 10gbe nic, and nothing to plug it into hahaha

11. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

So your going to have a single 10g host talking to 2-3 computers via 1g and wireless so your never going to utilize it

Sure if you were going to join 2 hosts back to back for sync or backup id understand in the home enviroment or messing around but im sure youve already found its not exactly cheap

12. flain

flain Member

Let me know if you find anything, i'm also after a switch that has at least 4 10g SFP ports. If the whole switch is SFP ports that's also fine, i've got crap loads of 1gbit copper SFPs to fill it with..

13. Herballizard

Herballizard Member

Question for the boys that get to play with bigger toys

I have been looking over both the Intel X520-DA2 and using

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-J928...546610275?pt=COMP_EN_Hubs&hash=item519e34c863

Or X520-T2 with regular old RJ45 copper

Mostly to directly connect my solaris express box to my xenserver anyone ever done it before. I wanted to run comstar on the se box and use it for vm storage.

I am trying to be a cheap arse and not have to use a bajillion dollar 10gbe switch. That is I want to keep the whole box and dice under about 1.2k if possible

14. ltd73

ltd73 Member

sure. I have a few Intel X520-DA2s here and the 10GbaseT variants too.
    all work well.

you can certainly just connect them directly without a switch.

note that you can't use "regular old RJ45 cabling", it MUST be cat6 or cat6A if you wish to use 10GbaseT with a bit error rate that is acceptable.

15. Herballizard

Herballizard Member

That is one of the reasons why I am looking at DA cabling but wasn't sure how it worked since bugger all people I know have access to that sort of gear

16. ltd73

ltd73 Member

DAC aka 'twinax' aka CX1 (badly named - should not be called 'CX1') is just two transceivers and a cable fused together.

it can work NIC-to-NIC just the same way as cat5e/6/6A/[..] can work back-to-back.

the only catch is that the devil is in the details of how it technically works and a NIC or device must explicitly support DAC as an option because there is all sorts of analog stuff that needs to be setup correctly (preemphasis, gain, etc) and historically the first SFP+ based things got them oh-so-wrong.

but the Intel NIC you list should be fine.

17. flain

flain Member

To do it on the cheap check this thread http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=944153 (despite the title i ended up finding cheap 10gbe copper NICS)

I don't have a switch though so both boxes connect directly via the 10gig NICs then use separate NICs to access the rest of my LAN.

18. OP
    OP
    rainwulf

rainwulf Member

The whole idea was a crap shoot, so im selling the NC522 SFP+ nic and getting an intel 10gbe ethernet card sometime in the future.

For now im sticking with load balanced 4 gig.
    (4 x 1gb intel nics teamed together)

19. ltd73

ltd73 Member

why didn't it work?
    seems like a devolution step to me...

where are you selling the NC522?