10th-gen Intel 'Comet Lake' i9 10900KF/F, i9 10800F, i7 10700K, i5 10600K + Z490

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Azzan, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcann

bcann Member

I'm disappointed at this point in the game for PCIe 3, particularly on a new chipset.

2. chook

chook Member

There was a rumour going around at Computex that Intel and Nvidia would skip PCIe 4.0 and go straight to 5.0. Still possible until we hear otherwise from Intel.

3. FBOOST

FBOOST Member

I had to check the date of these posts.
    How is ryzen way behind in gaming? Unless you game on a 720p monitor there is maybe 5-10% IPC difference and amd domination in every other bench.
    I don't own a amd CPU (8700k)but if I buy one in the next 12months it will be amd.
    I don't agree with people saying "well when Intel matches cores it's over for amd" no, when Intel matches performance +price then they are worth considering.
    Think of the ludicrous prices we have had to pay in the past if you wanted more then 4 cores.
    Every Intel shill should thank amd for packing up the monopoly board, even if it's only until 10nm arrives.

hvalac likes this.
  4. Hive

Hive Member

The word going around is they are now using toothpaste on the internal heat spreader, as opposed to the previous generations tomato sauce.

What an utter disappointing release, where is the innovation gone at Intel?

5. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

All their innovation/IPC increases etc is only in 10nm and beyond designs, which we aren't going to see on desktop anytime soon. Latest I read was 800mhz frequency regression in boosts clocks for laptop 10nm ice lakes finally coming out this year vs 14nm. Unless there is a secret project to backport say tiger like design to 14nm that hasn't made it onto the leaked roadmaps comet lake is it for at least the next 2 years or so until intel get their 10nm or future 7nm process actually performing well enough for desktop (ie getting somewhere near 5 ghz turbo). In some ways their 14nm++++ refinements are actually making it harder to transition given it's clock speed improvements over the last five years can't be matched even by tsmc's 7nm process (4.7ghz is highest boost on AMD so far).

6. rireland

rireland Member

At least it's an upgrade this time.

7. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Apparently all fake.

8. Etherate

Etherate Member

It was pretty obviously fake, the original slide leak was a bad photoshopped version from 9th gen

9. chook

chook Member

It isn't fake until AdoredTV confirms it is real.

hvalac likes this.
  10. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Intel: MOAR CORES!

Having only half the cache of Ryzen 3, these might not age well with future software.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  11. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Not sure it matters in the slightest for video cards but the newest NVMe SSDs certainly are going to feel the bottleneck.

12. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

maybe not so much...

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/pci-express-4-0-nvme-ssd-test-amd-x570-ryzen-3000/4.html

13. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

14. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

basically bugger all difference unless you constantly copy files from one pcie4 ssd to another...

15. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

The big question being: is something else the bottleneck or is it the I/O capabilities of the drive letting the side down?

16. Sunder

Sunder Member

I think the most damning thing is that I didn't even bat an eyelid at the unimpressive fake numbers. Gaming tech has been stuck in a cycle of incremental micro evolution instead of any significant innovations or revolutionary changes for a few years now.

Not a bad thing. Money stays in my pocket for now.

17. NSanity

NSanity Member

its like SAS/SCSI and 15k drives never existed...

its the drive.

Plus Intel (and the storage industry) is moving all the real performance to SCM/pMem.

The reality is that desktops - outside of crazy fucken usecases like elvis $oldjob - have applications/os'es limiting them really to 700-800MB/sec anyway (see PCMark etc).

You can probably aleviate that somewhat by clockspeed/ipc improvements (coupled with seriously fast storage), but it just comes down to inefficient code at some point.

oh yeah, and because people like Copie like to move data from one drive to another and back again #becausereasons.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 4:42 PM
    Hive and 2SHY like this.
  18. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

FYI

Windows is Fine.

Talk real workloads - not benchmarks tho.

20. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

It's a hard drive thrashing nightmare. SSD's are no more than a bandaid approach under Windows when 'alternate operating systems' cope just fine with mechanical HDD's and none of the aggravating thrashing/overall slowness. NTFS has had it's day, the drive isn't the only issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.