10th gen Intel Desktop Comet Lake CPU(i9 10900K, i7 10700K, i5 10600K, i3 10320 & Z490)

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Azzan, Dec 30, 2019.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Would be happy to see the results :thumbup:

Just after a mild oc these days, heavy ocing not anymore these days. Just wanted to check I wasn't getting some completely dud pos if that's what I do go with.

2. jekel

jekel Member

Cheapest I've seen 10850K go for is $649 https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/565216 , such good value at that price and pretty similar to 10900k. If this price came up again vs 10900k pretty hard to justify $2-300 extra for 10900k.

I think 5.1ghz all core looking around internet results/reviews seems reasonable to expect at ok volts. Anything higher good volts seems like bit of a gamble though, I didn't get the best 10900K, run it 5.1ghz 1.3v. 5.2 I need 1.4v :(

MR CHILLED and jjjc_93 like this.
  3. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I think you'll be fine then, 1-300mhz is not worth a $200+ premium in 99% of scenarios.

MR CHILLED and OC d like this.
  4. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Talking about all these locked multipliers, I'm honestly surprised no one's ever figured it out.

I suspect it's software these days. Possibly modifiable by those gold contacts on top of the chip. Has anyone ever tried to figure what those contacts do?

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah that's what I was eyeing off actually (now up to $669). Price is decent and the 10900K is about $900.

Thanks guys.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Fuck it, screw the money. Bought the K in the end. Got a Strix Z490-E to go with it. Should do me for the next few years.

Will throw in a 3080 when the heat dies down.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    OC d and jekel like this.
  7. jekel

jekel Member

At least you won't have the annoying feeling wishing you got the top one hahaha. Last few years always tell myself lower is ok.....9600k low end board will be enough. Wasn't happy though so went up to 9900k and went through 2 more higher end motherboards.........10th gen just went straight to the high end board/cpu I wanted end of story........although depending what the new new top dog rocket lake looks like might try swap that into my board hoping for a better overclocker.....

Yep hoping to get a 3080 or super/TI version when they release it once this craziness is over. 2080 good enough till then.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I'm not as much a huge upgrader as I used to be, used to be every gen for me, now I tend to hold back to every second gen which probably sees me through about 2-3 years.

I'll be sitting on my 1080 until further notice :p Fine for everything I need right now.

9. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

11. ozz

ozz Member

when you scroll down in that link the box is a i5 10600KA

12. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

It's been updated - was the i7 before.

13. hYpz0r

hYpz0r Member

Got a weird issue with my 10900k when trying to OC. So basically at first I had the bios set as auto and it was running at 4.9ghz all core 1.35v which I thought was a little high so I went in to bios to tweak it. I turned off turbo/c-states etc and started playing with vcore. Firstly tried to see what I could boot and I got it to boot with 1.3v at 5.3ghz and 1.36v at 5.4ghz. I left it for a few days and came back to it.
    I tried to boot at 5.3ghz and this time I couldn't get in to windows without 1.35v?
    So next I tried to get this thing stable. 5.1 needed around 1.3. 5.2 runs cinebench and 100% game stable at 1.34v but won't pass realbench or prime small fft. What's even more weird is raising the voltage makes it crash even quicker and temps aren't at their limit just yet but getting close.

I can't understand why the cpu seems to need more voltage now and raising it isn't stabilising the OC at all? I haven't played with cache frequency yet or any other voltages. Am I missing something?
    Board is aorus pro AX set to turbo llc and ram is patriot viper steel 4400 set to stock xmp settings. VID in HWinfo64 shows 1.52v when vcore is set to 1.35 in bios.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  14. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Assuming that incl. Speedstep and Speedshift?

Same BIOS settings, and same BIOS version?

Uncapped long/short power draw restrictions?

Assuming that LLC setting is the highest, can you incorporate some vdroop and raise the BIOS vcore?
    Likely not the reason, but whats your VCCIO/SA and RAM voltage displaying as?
    Irrelevant unless your running IA AC/DC LL at 1/1 (0.01ohm) and using offset as opposed to fixed vcore.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  15. shane41

shane41 Member

This is how modern Intel are. Tuning 53x and beyond needs further bios settings adjusted. Limits off. Power savings off.
    Then depending on quality of processor, some are a struggle for 53x heavy loads 1.5v.

Leave turbo on. LLC5 minimum. C-state, Speedstep and Speedshift off.
    edit there's a turbo3 thing. Turn that off too

16. hYpz0r

hYpz0r Member

Yes I've disabled them too.

Yes same BIOS settings and same version.

I'm not sure how to change this on gigabyte boards? Is this uncapped by default? I have MCE set to auto

Turbo isn't the highest but doesn't really allow any droop at all. It's LLC 6 I believe and slightly ups the voltage over bios. Would you recommend dropping it a bit?

VCCIO is set to auto but I just checked HWinfo and its showing as 1.32v. That's a little high isn't it?

I've got this set to auto. Should I change to fixed vcore?

17. spit051261

spit051261 Member

Should have bought an Apex ;)
    I even prefer the MSI to gigashite and that one is strange .

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  18. OC d

OC d Member

Yeah any Asus Rog is really good this gen, even the rog hero does well actually. Asus does alot for you in bios. :lol:

And temps super sensitive with 10th gen. Anything over 75 degrees will start giving you instability issues when pushing things etc..

19. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Not sure, never used a Gigabyte board myself. Try googling how to uncap them, and MCE shouldn't be on if you're using a fixed multi (example 53x) applied to all cores.
    You're telling me your vcore under load exceeds your BIOS voltage? Definitely incorporate some vdroop; I tend to go 2 notches down from the highest LLC setting.
    Yup, 1.32 is pretty high - try anywhere from 1.2-1.25 for both IO and SA
    What have you got set to auto? AC/DC LL or your vcore? You shouldn't be using auto vcore if overclocking.

I'd probably start with 50x multi 47x uncore and trying to stabilise under p95/linx before trying for anything higher. It'll give you a good idea of what your chip is capable of without pushing crazy heat/vcore.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  20. BoozyBaz

BoozyBaz New Member

Which would be better motherboard choice?

Trying to decide between Z490 vision G or Aorus Pro.

$50 difference, but feel i would make use of the bluetooth and extra fan headers on the Pro. Adding some splitters and a bluetooth to the vision probably brings the gap closer to $20-30.

Worth going for the Pro in this case?