10th gen Intel Skus receive massive price cuts

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by AstinGC90, Oct 2, 2019.

1. AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

adamsleath likes this.
  2. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

expect better or same performance?

3. power

power Member

this is a bad sign, it means they have nothing in the pipe ready to compete.

could be in for a bit of a lull in terms of performance short to mid term.

l_ QuadX_l, Deano_20802 and vladtepes like this.
  4. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

very interesting.

well done AMD.

vladtepes likes this.
  5. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

But its a bloody good reason to support AMD to make sure the competition continues.

6. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Interesting. Might make the move to an 8 core palatable in a few months.

On the flip side, man are GPUs fucking expensive these days.
    Mining died, but prices remain elevated. What's with that?

7. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

These are HEDT parts and existing ones aren't of much use because most people go for consumer CPU's and gamers go for a 9700K/9900K and that's probably 99% of the market already and for that 1% left over are they really going to spend $1K-$2K for a HEDT system whereas if they go the Xeon route they get an equivalent CPU for the same price and the option of ECC ram straight away if they want and in a couple of years time they can probably upgrade for a bigger used Xeon that probably was priced north of $5K for a couple of hundred dollars, also another downside is since X79 Intel have prohibited people using Xeon CPU's in HEDT boards so that's a big disadvantage so no more swapping out a I7-3820 for a $100 e5-2670 off Ebay. Even an five year old CPU like a Xeon E5-2680 competes with a i9-7900X so HEDT is of much use in gaming and additional core's from either Intel or AMD do nothing much in that regard.

Whatever the market will bear is what they will charge for because we still haven't got single GPU cards that can game at 4K res @ 100+ FPS on ultra settings so they can charge top dollar for whatever they sell whereas upgrade your 10C/20T CPU to a 20C/40T CPU? what for?

8. Sledge

Sledge Member

still rocking an i7-2700k and haven't seen the need to upgrade...
    though i DO want to lol

9. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

8 years and still useful.

Imagine saying that in 1999 about your 1991 cpu.

Hive, Deano_20802 and Sledge like this.
  10. cvidler

cvidler Member

Not everyone (and thus not the whole HEDT market) games, so more cores/threads can be very welcome.

If anything if you're serious gamer, you'll be on a higher clocked (and usually lower core count) part and probably not the HEDT market.

As for GPU prices, combination of price the market will bear and lack of competition. If you can sell all you make for $2000, why sell them for less? These aren't charities, profit above all else.

11. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Yeah, sure. I get that. Here's the thing though.
    It made sense when the stock couldn't be made fast enough or flown fast enough to the mining farms.

Market could bear it.

But now?
    DDR prices are in the toilet.
    There's little to no mining demand.
    Sales have to be gutted compared to 2 years ago.

But prices for the top gaming nvidia are almost *double* what they were at the peak of the mining boom!?

Are yields that bad?

12. cvidler

cvidler Member

That wouldn't be the problem either (I've no idea what the yields actually are).

No one makes money of the top end parts. The top end parts sell the mid/low range parts.

If people are silly enough to dump 2k on a graphics card, they'll happily take your money. The real money is in the all the 2050/2060/1660's they sell millions of because the 2080ti is there and kicks ass.

Same with CPUs, cars, and many other products.

13. Luke212

Luke212 Member

HEDT is only good for workstations for your job. you're an idiot or a severe tech enthusiast if you buy them for something other than work.

HEDT is better than Xeon usually because they are all rounders with their clocks.

14. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Missing the point.

If a 10core is now 600, where do you think the 6 and 8's are going to go?

VirtualNinja likes this.
  15. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Intel had it good

16. Azzan

Azzan Member

9900K & 9700K etc prices hasn't changed since gen2 Ryzen release. But it would be nice if Intel priced 10900K & 10700K cheaper ofc.
    I'm most interested in 10900K(not X), cos I think it's gonna be the new fastest gaming CPU. 9900KS might be better than 10900K at stock speed, but 10900K should be faster when they are both overclocked.

I haven't heard any news about 10900K. But looks like it's gonna be 8c/16t since 10900X is 10c/20t.. and it should run 5.1-5.2GHz boost(single core) cos it's gotta be faster than 9900K. Hopefully it can overclock to ~5.2GHz on all cores. :)

17. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

They'll drop in due course.

Whatever ratio they used to be vs the HEDTs should be roughly similar in a month or so.

18. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

They're still damn good CPU's but with a handful of % IPC every generation, there's now a helluva clock-for-clock difference after 8 generations. DDR4 and NVMe/PCIe3 just add cherries on top.
    It's almost the Pentium4 versus Athlon64 shellacking all over again. I can't wait for the Core3icosi response. I haven't checked for a while but do Intel still have a bigger R&D budget than AMD have operational?

tunksy likes this.
  19. Sledge

Sledge Member

yeah but still all based on generations old tech...
    maybe the ice/comet lake will change it for me, and i'll finally bite the bullet again

20. c4dderly

c4dderly Member