10th gen Intel Skus receive massive price cuts

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by AstinGC90, Oct 2, 2019.

1. jpw007

jpw007 Member

What's the opinion on whether a 6700K is worth upgrading?

I really want an 8 core if possible, but tbh i don't know what i'd use it for? I don't game much, and so i'm not sure what i have any need to upgrade for other than just because...I quite like the sound of Ryzen 3700x, but not sure of Intel's equivalent and if i should go for one with hypethreading since they seem to have killed that off on most CPU's now...(I'm also salty about my temps because i haven't delidded and it's silly that my temps arent lower on water when the 1080ti runs cool as a bloody champ)

I'd love to hear what everyone uses their cores for these days to give me ideas. I have a different PC running as a plex server, so i'm recoding all that using Handbrake with the 1080ti but tbh i don't have any fucking idea how to ensure i don't create bigger files, and that's a one time job so can't really justify $1k for a new mobo and cpu just for that when i otherwise have no idea. I do photography but have been slack last couple years and 6700K seems to handle lightroom well enough.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  2. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Well, there's the question as to are you CPU limited now, but this is also OCAU so just do it!

Games are not the most threaded of applications getting around. Four is usually the sweet spot and maybe 6 for some but it's pretty limited.

I do a lot of video rendering with HB which happily eats all the threads I can feed it. I don't use GPU accelleration as they all trade quality for outright speed. CPU render is comparatively slow, but delivers much better quality for a given file size. Aside from that, virtual machines, running servers at a LAN, alt-tabbing out of one game and forgetting before firing up the next...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  3. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I'd rather use HB with CPU tbh since i read about the file size and i tried it out and it was another decent saving over the GPU accelerated one, but GPU took 6 mins for a 30min 1080p (~3GB) video rather than about 30mins that the CPU took, which is why i'd like an 9 core tbh. (PS. any helpful guides you've used for HB?)

Can't say i've ever used VM's or would even know wtf to use them for lol...

Maybe i should jsut keep an eye on the FS section, but i need a mobo with 3x M.2 since i'm otherwise driveless and refuse to use sata ports etc anymore. That and ive made it so i have no room now since watercooling.

4. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

That's pretty much the guts of it - fast is either low quality or large file size; slow can optimise both quality and size. There's currently no middle ground although I wish there was a way to tell the GPU that you're OK with 15 minute renders at much better Q/bitrates. Most of the HB default profiles are a good start.

5. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Eh? Why would GPU be different?
    Surely it's the same instructions running via OCL/CUDA?

Shouldn't the result be deterministic?

6. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Something to do with the way it goes about it is different which is why it's faster and at the sacrifice of size/quality. I was reading about it last night but didnt quite understand the full of it. I think i read the RTX cards may have improved a bit, but interestingly when it comes to speed the 1080 is faster than the 2080 due to having 2 HEVC cores or something onboard compared to 1 on the 2080 (woo the 1080ti still being a killer card lol)

Cheers mate

7. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

That was my assumption when I started playing with it but alas the GPU code appears to be highly optimised for speed and thus outputs substandard crap. I really should have a closer look at Davinci Resolve and see if their codepath is any better.

8. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Weird.
    Sounds like a nightmare to debug.

9. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

It's not using CUDA - it's implemented largely in fixed-function hardware, not via programmable logic. Heavily optimised for low latency rather than quality.

10. shane41

shane41 Member

You got me there fella. :tongue: But I do have some Osborne beige boxes here, with wait for it matching keyboard + mouse + monitor

11. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Where's the heart emoji when you need it?

12. aokman

aokman Member

some prices dropped a little at Scorptec, not much tho.

13. shane41

shane41 Member

9960X not bad saving

14. OJR

OJR Member

On what?

15. neopheX

neopheX Member

Anyone reckon the 10th Gen CPU’s will work on the higher end z370 board?

16. spit051261

spit051261 New Member

A generations old tech that still does the business ;)

17. OJR

OJR Member

Why do you think this is? Because Intel had 0 motivation to innovate. Imagine where computing would be if Intel had competition the whole time.

18. aokman

aokman Member

BAHAHAHAHAHAAH you are funny, Intel letting you reuse old hardware... How else will they make back lost revenue on CPU's without another chipset.

19. power

power Member

agree here, the last time Intel had serious competition they smashed AMD so hard it took them over a decade to recover.

20. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I got so tired of waiting for improvements over my 6700K that i just bit the bullet and bought 3900x + associated hardware.

I don't really care if Intel leapfrogs AMD now because i'm pretty much over them and AMD worked their arse off to make these Ryzens great and finally give us all some god damn cores. Intel's been taking the piss with their core counts for years, then look at the temperature issues with Skylake due to their shitty thermal applications on the die, then apparently even the new ones are a piss-poor solder job. I've jumped ship in the chase of competition and AMD are leading atm which is awesome.

Sledge likes this.