1200w PSU + P67 Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by CallOfBooty, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CallOfBooty

CallOfBooty (Banned or Deleted)

If you have a new P67 mobo be careful connecting it to any psu 1200w or higher.

I did and it zapped my hard drives, including my ssd, as in they were gone, nothing could recognise them anymore.

Everything was replaced by the store that sold me the power supply.

Tested 2 different brand new 1200w psu, PC failed to post bios on both.

Tested a 700w, 850w, and 1000w PSU's, all worked fine.

Me thinking Intel rushed out these boards too soon forgetting some tests. They dont seem to be able to handle anymore than 1000w of power.

Just a heads up.

2. digamma

digamma Member

There has to be something more to it than the rating of the PSU. The PSU might be capable of handling a load of up to 1200w, but that doesn't mean it is putting out 1200w at all times. If a load is only 480w, then the psu is only using 480w, not 1200w.

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Seems to me that it would be more likely the combination of that specific model psu and that specific model motherboard. As above it's highly unlikely that the rating of the psu has anything to do with it.

4. t8y

t8y Member

or, perhaps you just had a dud PSU to begin with?! especially since it took out more than the mobo

seems more logical than the board not being "able to handle anymore than 1000w of power" - so, do you think power supplies actually push the whole 1000w (or whatever their rating is) into the motherboard, or something?!

regardless, ive had no power delivery issues with P67 & a 1200w psu here

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  5. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

No ones said it yet so I will, You're doing it wrong (no doubt)

You've asked to be spoonfed how to overclock ram and cpu so far on the forums. Then cracked it when we didn't spoonfeed you about the ram. I'm starting to think you're a retailers nightmare mate.

My guess is that the PSU was a dud, had nothing to do with the motherboard trying to draw 1200w. Christ even the SR2 doesn't pull that. Something must've been dodgy with the PSU

6. t8y

t8y Member

wait a minute, it wasnt this PSU, was it?!

sorry, but as id never heard of that brand/model - i had to google it..
    that recent thread asking if "its good enough" (general rule - if you have to ask, its not) sadly was among the top search results.. i see no manufacturer site?
    other top results were in regards to how dodgy they are? sorry, but did you bother to look this shit up at all, before using it?!
    going by your other posts here (as dingo said) i doubt it, but worth asking anyway

7. OP
    OP
    CallOfBooty

Wow u guys r so quick to assume i haven't thought of everything, the 1200 w psu's worked with other mobos.

You all fail.

And that comment about my other posts you were the retard who was being a pest on my thread and ur starting up again go away I don't want ur help u don't even know how to help u just tell people to google it

8. t8y

t8y Member

well you never mentioned that. assumptions retracted. "heads up" taken on board, ignored.
    plenty, and i mean plenty, of experienced guys running 1155 gear on high wattage PSUs, including myself.

no more help for you..

well, when you ask a stupid question..

good luck with it all. though to be honest, i feel more sorry for the guys who sold you that system

9. phantom220

phantom220 Member

You sound like a wanker. People offer you their advice and you ignore. Good luck with frying yet another batch of components.

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Have to look at this from our point of view champ. You're a new member with a history of asking for answers to questions many of us consider bread and butter knowledge. On top of that you've taken your observations jumped to a faulty conclusion, then posted it as a warning.

The first few posts in this thread (including mine) were attempting to point out the faulty logic, to which the correct response would have been discussion about what hardware you're using and why you came to the conclusion you did.

11. kingbob86

kingbob86 Member

The board will only draw as much power as it needs from the psu. The psu does not put out 1200W it means it is capable of providing 1200W if the system tries to draw that much. I agree with others it's probably an issue with that specific psu.

12. 3Tone

3Tone (Banned or Deleted)

Check my sig. Been running this config for 3 months no issues.

13. A_C

A_C Member

Your claim is fairly baseless

O the irony

14. davidcarney21

davidcarney21 Member

says the guy that just blew up all his new gear

15. Ka0sX

Ka0sX (Banned or Deleted)

Well it cant be all 1200Watt PSU i use a Corsair AX1200 with a P67 board

16. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

LOL, you rub people the wrong way in this forum, you'll get slaughtered!

CallOfBooty, quite clearly its not the mobo fault nor is it a problem with the mobo not handling 1200w PSU, a 1200w psu never puts out that much power anyways, unless your doing some serious benching with three x GTX580.

I recently zapped and blew up a PSU, not a shit one either, a Silverstone ST1500w, Luckily no components fucked up.

My advice would be, when playing around with hardware, make sure you ground your self very well, if you have a metal bed post (or anything metal, table, stove etc), go and hold it for a few seconds, also double check every connection before powering up the computer and last but not least, make sure the PSU is completly off (pulled out of the wall) when you mess around with your hardware.

I still dont know how i fried by 1500w PSU but what happen was, i was connecting all my i/o at the back, Monitor cables, USB keyboard etc, then as i was jiggling the monitor cable on the back of the vid card, poof! spark! house goes dark.

17. OP
    OP
    CallOfBooty

look just because not everone has experienced this doesnt mean it wont happen to you next. And me fail? I dont think so, no one here would of connected the psu differently, so it would of happened to anyone, theres only one way to connect a PSU. And yes I know about the grounding thing, thats why whenever I connect a PC I always make sure I touch a plugged in power supply to zap the static from my body.

All the parts were bought from the same store so they had to repalce something, and it was the PSU as it wasnt compatitable with the mobo.

We tested the gigabyte Odin Pro 1200 with my mobo - no post

tested Antec 1200w with my mobo - no post

Tested both these psu's with other mobos - worked fine

Tested a 700w, 800w and 1000w with my mobo - worked fine.

Anyone care to offer a solution other than perhaps my mobo doesnt like 1200w power supplies ????

18. pele93

pele93 Member

lol most people in this forum would not connect a no-name, out dated cheap power supply to brand new gear...
    Most would research and buy the best performance component for their budget, most likely something like a enermax,corsair or other psu that others in this forum recommend there is a what/where should I buy section that is full of quality no-shit advice.
    I actually laughed out loud when I read this,
    I've never touched a plugged in power supply to zap the static from my body but I may touch a grounded piece of metal and attach a static wrist so I'm don't fry a component if its that expensive that I worry about it....

I'm sure your motherboard will be able to handle a decent 1200w psu, perhaps you should buy an enermax or corsair 1200 or 1250w if you want that much...
    Perhaps post in this forum for some advice if you're uncertain?

19. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Yes Master High and Mighty! *salutes

Sorry mate, but everyone stuffs up from time to time. Human error. Simple.

20. t8y

t8y Member

alright, ill respond, though i get the feeling we are being baited..

my advice: get rid of the intel branded board, get something designed for the intended task.

you do seem to be into overclocking - and are having a good opening crack at it, which is to be commended. really.
    you are kinda going the wrong way about it with requesting advice but youll learn there too..
    anyway;
    intel boards, while great for your mums office PC or driving your companies workstations, probably not the best choice for your intended purposes.

edit: should just add they are okay - but not ideal - is what im getting at.
    another note, wheres your location? there may be guys on here willing to let you sit in on a joint building/benching session, or something. if you asked nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.