1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

~125V DC Power Supply

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by JohnZ, Jun 17, 2010.

1. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

I'm just about to start putting together a VU meter that outputs to nixie tubes as per this website:

http://tchips.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=1

However, I have no idea how to safely convert say a 12V DC plugpack from Jaycar to ~125V to power the IN-13 nixie tubes that I have...

I found this spec sheet: http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/dat_arch/IN-13.pdf

Which indicates that I need a maximum ~5mA of power per nixie tube (there are 14 all together) which is about 70mA all up.

Are there any prebuilt units I can buy for a reasonable amount or and PCBs I can get as well as components?

2. mobs

mobs Member

back to back transformers.

...........AC Plugpack............Reversed Transformer..............Bridge rectfier
    240VAC------------->9VAC----------------------------> ??VAC ----------------->DC

Plugpack = 240v to 9vac
    transformer = 240v to 24vac (with 9vac from plugpack applied on 24v side)
    rectifier + capacitors on the 240v side of the transformer should get you right around your target voltage.

3. dohzer

dohzer Member

I'm a little confused by your post, mobs, but doesn't he want 125VDC, not ~12VDC? Or is that what the setup in your post achieves?

I had a similar question when I needed a +110VDC supply, and people suggested one of the step-down transformers with rectifier and capacitors, etc. That would probably work for you, but obviously you'd need the correct ratio transformer that produces a voltage that is rectified to 125VDC. Not sure if that is "safe" enough for you though.

4. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

240 VAC --> 9 VAC

9 VAC --> 90 VAC (with a backwards 10:1 transformer intended as a 240VAC : 24 VAC stepdown transformer)

After rectification and filtering, you get 127 V DC.