1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

12th gen Intel Desktop Alder Lake CPU 04-Nov-2021

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by fad, Jun 28, 2020.

1. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

#intel

2. micsway123

micsway123 Member

actually HWU did just that and the results are well what we expected (for gaming at least):

upload_2021-11-5_14-46-43.png

3. t8y

t8y Member

pretty underwhelmed tbh
    for me, it was money well spent on amd 5000 setups at their launch

the lack of pcie5 and ddr5 upgrade path - who cares lol. by the time they are relevant all current hardware will be pretty shithouse..
    reminds me of the FX series in that respect

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    nCrypt and Slavetonet like this.
  4. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

Says it all. F All difference in performance difference DDR4 to DDR5. Save your money and buy the DDR4 boards and DDR4 memory.

5. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

PCIE-5 is good for future proofing if you are keeping this for a while.
    But if you are coming from AMD 5000.
    It doesn't make any sense to change over as the system is already super fast.
    Can you really tell 10 extra FPS when you are already shooting at over 150 FPS?

6. t8y

t8y Member

what i mean to say is, i probably wouldnt consider intel even if buying today..
    values not there, upgrade path is iffy, stock levels not there.
    good to see the option is there for some though, intel needed this

7. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

The only reason I didn't go AMD last year upgrade because it was the last socket they are going on. Hence I held off till Intel 1700.
    Seems like it is paying off in the long game.

8. mils1

mils1 Member

PLE computers.

9. Zarok77

Zarok77 Member

Exactly my friend :thumbup:.
    If you have a good dual rank ddr4 kit just get a much cheaper d4 Motherboard and 12600k for the best price to performance rig .

micsway123 likes this.
  10. issa2006

issa2006 Member

I'd rather get a gpu 1080 to 3080ti, plug it in and see if system cpu Needs a 6700k upgrade from..

now I'll hold off on a cpu upgrade to get a 2600 gpu (1 year to save).

I really wanted a new chair.

t8y likes this.
  11. Sledge

Sledge Member

And no one will want to buy the overpriced DDR5 that we buy now...

Has anyone tested the igpu gaming performance?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    t8y likes this.
  12. SneakyBastd

SneakyBastd Member

Does anyone know if you can disable hyperthreading on the performance cores, and keep the efficiency cores running? When I disable HT on my 7700K it gives a nice little boost to single thread performance. I don't leave it like that because I need all the threads it can give.
    But now with 8+4, that would be plenty for me tbh. Single thread is everything in the games I play.

13. The OC

The OC Member

I think it depends entirely on what your expectations are, and how much you've already spent on your GPU.

Let's say you've spent $2000 on a GTX 3080 / RX 6900 class card. If 12th gen nets you that extra 10% in fps (and some games show even higher gains than this), it might be worth it considering you can probably sell your existing AMD or Intel platform to offset some of the cost. The net platform upgrade cost might only be a few hundred dollars, relatively insignificant compared to the insane GPU prices we're still suffering through at the moment.

Ultimately you just want to reduce CPU bottlenecking as much as possible when running a high end GPU. The avg framerate doesn't seem to be *that* much better with ADL but I've seen enough reviews where the mins and 1% lows are significantly better that I'll say for the enthusiast gamer its probably worth the upgrade even from Zen 3.

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Trident Z5 cl36-6400. Call me when latency isn't so stupid. No interest in DDR5 this early in the game. PCIE5 similarly relevant. Unless you are actually in need of a system upgrade, not really much point IMHO. I'm inclined to say wait for AMD's response, since the Intel rig is pretty much just keeping pace with AMD's current offering, putting aside DDR5 and PCIE5.

15. Skramit

Skramit Member

The price of motherboards is gonna make a lot of folks think twice about going Alder Lake at the moment.

t8y likes this.
  16. stmok

stmok Member

There's a Core i5-12400F model...6 Performance cores (12 threads) only. No Efficient cores.

Overall, it performs on-par with Ryzen 5600X. It's limited by power profile.

If Intel releases this at an affordable price, AMD will be forced to drop price to compete. Good for everyone!

t8y, MUTMAN and micsway123 like this.
  17. OJR

OJR Member

Not only that, but all the decent motherboards are DDR5, so you need to lash out for expensive and slow DDR5 as well.

t8y and MUTMAN like this.
  18. Teddidao

Teddidao Member

I think I'm gonna hop onto ddr5 mid gen at the earliest, 5950x still seems ok for now.

Zarok77 and BuzzPuppy like this.
  19. Sledge

Sledge Member

Well the wife is getting my 3700x system so I need a new system
    But prices are too high to go with ddr5

20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've already committed to waiting for the next gen of GPU's, both AMD and NVidia (and possibly Intel if they release a high end ARC GPU), given the crazy prices and/or lack of stock of current gens. Accordingly I went with a 5700G CPU, for the best currently available onboard graphics/CPU combo. I'll stick with this for some time, by which I'm hoping AMD will also have DDR5 and PCIE5 support and better/cheaper/both GPU's are also available. I'm not a huge gamer though so high end graphics don't hold the same imperative for me.

It makes no sense (for me) jumping ship at the moment, with an immature Intel offering and AMD already half way through their current cycle. You can bet that AMD will surpass Intel before Intel can drop a better offering. I predict they will leapfrog each other for years to come, it's fucking awesome to have genuine competition happening again. It's a matter of choosing your poison at the right time to have the best, for awhile at least. :thumbup:. Everyone wins !!

The big losers here may even eventually be Nvidia, with AMD fanboi's going for AMD CPU and GPU combos, and Intel potentially making their own fanboi's happy with their own roughly equivelent combos if they succeed with their own high end discreet GPU's. No reason to assume they can't either, it's not like they have zero experience with graphics after all, they've offered reasonable onboard graphics with virtually every CPU bar Xeon's for decades.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    t8y likes this.