12th gen Intel Desktop Alder Lake CPU 04-Nov-2021

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by fad, Jun 28, 2020.

1. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

looking forward to seeing actual (1700 socket) motherboards.
    https://www.trustedreviews.com/news...n-release-date-price-specs-benchmarks-4154306

ddr4 ones i suppose.

and whether there will be any z690 boards with ddr4 support?

one article mentioned that the lower end boards would have ddr4 support eg. B660 chipset.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Hotrod2go likes this.
  2. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

It's a funny situation to be in now if considering a major platform upgrade atm. I was thinking of going Zen 3 but AM4 has limited lifespan much so nowadays. If I make the jump to Intel, must consider future of DDR4 tech...
    Perhaps wait n' see again.

3. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

I like to have one of each . more familiar with the nvidiot and intel setups. amd's are a bit different.

Hotrod2go likes this.
  4. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

With Alder lake being DDR4 & DDR5 capable. Won't there be a compromise with performance? a bit like what we saw with the last days of LGA775, some mobos back then had DDR2 & DD3 capability. From what I recall, there was a compromise with performance due to the balancing act with old & new ram tech.

5. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

i remember die hard single core overclockers not wanting dual core amd's and core 2 duos as well.
    i was on the same boat. but got the q9550 (and a dual core opteron 165) instead of the higher clocking e8400 :p (that was a duallie)
    oops it was dual cores by then. and then the move to 4 core. i think i had a single core amd before that....prior to the opty. but the opty was the second pc.

be interesting to see how long it takes for ddr5 to win.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  6. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

DDR5 already has ECC, he's talking about registered ecc.

7. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I don't think there is a performance penalty regarding ECC vs registered ECC.

8. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Registered ram is buffered, which adds cycle to access time.

flu!d likes this.
  9. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Cl40 that's middle of the road jedec timings, with cl34 part of the official spec for 4800 as well. to compare ddr4 3200 is cl22 for jedec timings (1.2v). Well get xmp kits with lower timings, perhaps cl25 would be my guess for top bins but who knows.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/16143/insights-into-ddr5-subtimings-and-latencies

adamsleath likes this.
  10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

11. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

Sledge likes this.
  12. Sledge

Sledge Member

c4dderly likes this.
  13. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Ashes I wouldn't put too much stock into as a benchmark. Especially in regular games.

14. OP
    OP
    fad

fad Member

Interesting to see if they can pull this improved process off. I've been watching alot of youtube videos about the TSMC and ASML companies. Crazy to see what they need to do for 7nm.

https://www.asml.com/en/products/duv-lithography-systems
    https://sparrowsnews.com/2021/08/24/asml-duv-lithography-detailed-science/

Edit: I suppose this should be in the next CPU gen thread, for the Intel 5 process. Is 10nm DUV?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  15. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

12 months after zen3 intel have made gains? that wont be available to the public for how long yet?

i want the market to be competitive. love playing with hardware, amd or intel, have allegiance to neither. what ever is the best!

16. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

really have no justification to have a pc these days. it's just a fetish. looked at a 9900k. and a 10900.

but i just don't need them. that's the fetish. so the next step is the alderlake. and that will take a while to eventuate. ...not that i need it. i've just always had one. ...since they became a thing (pc) there are analogs like tablets and phones with impossibly small keyboards...just annoying.

different generation. not sure whether gen z or gen whatever will be into desktops as much. they grow up with smart phones and tablets....and twiddle their fingers on touch screens.

can see the need for those who utilise fancy proggies for work. but i don't do cad anymore...or pc work. only the fetish remains :)

the 3d stuff those cgi dudes produce for movies these days is impressive. a bit of refinement since movies like antz (1998) ...and further back the original tron movie (1982)

id like to see much more user friendly programs and tools for 3d modelling. existing programmes are still sooo clunky.

17. Sledge

Sledge Member

Isn't it only about 5 weeks?

18. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

yeh. but we are stuck with early ddr5... anywho. crossfingers it will be worth a look.

i cant justify an upgrade :( can only use one pc. if i get another one...i'd have one too many :D

and for some reason i still haven't got my tax return. which is odd because every other time I've done one it's been 2 weeks and all done. it has been about 2 plus months now....and it is still in "balancing account" status. I'm wondering what the f. I've done wrong?

19. Radley

Radley Member

So you'd have a laptop?

I have no need to upgrade from my 9900K at all. It's not like YouTube is very taxing these days....

adamsleath likes this.
  20. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

i could use a tablet...and a keyboard i suppose. no reason for lappy. smaller everything. saves a few watts. batteries never last long with power hungry g cards. mayas well have a pc. had a lappy before this from 2012 to 2018....and all pc's before that.

9900k yeh just because i can plop it in to what I've got already. but i wont see any difference in perf. for what i do....which is nothing these days. even gaming i can just tweak grfx settings. makes no diff to me.