12th gen Intel Desktop Alder Lake CPU(tba)

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by fad, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

It is interesting to think where this will head.

Personally, I suspect they might ditch 32bit on the big cores.

While keeping 32bit on the small cores, they might also favour ALU and reduce the FPU to something basic.
    Unless it's changed, afik, most standard programs typically require more ALU so boosting that and not caring about FPU much would possibly be all the performance most people need.

2. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

When talking efficiency - am I missing something as I am still seeing a PL1 of 125w and PL2 of 228w.
    That doesnt really seem that efficient?

3. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Looks to be a socket max since the 12600 and 12900 are the same.

4. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

To be fair the AMD 8 core 5800x is 105w TDP but that TDP is a bit bs the real number (with sufficient cooling) it has PPT of 142w, so the long term PL1 turbo of alder lake is lower than a 5800x but has more cores. But of course taking a more effient AMD part the 5950x has the same TDP as a 5800x and in practice at stock only uses a another 10w or so fully loaded, yes has lower clock speeds than a 5800x but way more throughput overall . So point being until we see base clocks and corresponding performance it's hard to know how it compares. I suspect alder lake will be competitive with zen3/3d but zen4 will be a step above it.

5. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

hmm 8 real cores + 8 cut down cores = skip this gen for me

6. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

Alleged leak, take it with a bit of salt.
    https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-c...tperforms-ryzen-9-5950x-in-cinebench-r20-test

7. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

From his wording, sounds like r20 is best case.. or at least strong case scenario. He seems genuine, and has a good record so wouldn't' doubt the scores personally.

it's going to be @ 228w for the duration of r20 also, but is a good indication @ that power level all the same

9. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

I guess what's going to be most interesting about this era is how software responds.

Well they ignore the shitcores for gaming and grunt processing? Will the power limit be a deciding factor? Will they have problems with syncing with them being effectively asynchronous? Will they figure out how to exploit what is there regardless? Will windows generally schedule itself to run only on shitcores except for a few high performance tasks?

10. groovetek

groovetek Member

From an OC perspective this will be interesting too... Im guessing there will be two sets of multipliers , turbo boost ratio tables, potentially two sets of current limits etc.

11. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Doesn't really surprise me if you have 16 large and 8 small cores all going at the same time.

I don't think Windows will have too many problems given it currently copes with boards with more than one CPU installed since at least NT 4.0 Workstation back in 1996 which was licensed for 2 CPU's and NT 4.0 Server which was licensed for 4 CPU's and it handles managing all the threads across those plus unlike NT 4.0 each CPU nowadays has multiple cores on top of all that as well.

I'm guessing any thread that runs at 100% on the small core will just get relocated to the large core automatically if there are any free at the time and the reverse will probably happen as well once utilization drops below 100% and there happens to be any small cores free.

You can always set processor affinities for any software you want to run on whatever cores you choose right now so I'll just probably set BF2042 for the 16 large cores and deselect altogether for the 8 small cores.

Maybe with a bit of luck we might just be able to disable the small cores in the BIOS like we can currently do with Hyper-Threading if we don't want the extra ones active.

I think if people want a new PC then getting an 11th gen one right now would be a wise thing to do and give the 12th gen with its DDR5 a complete miss, plus prices for all components seem to still be rising upwards and that new DDR5 RAM is going to be real expensive on release and for quite a while thereafter.

12. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

10th gen is still the best value for money considering 11 gen doesn't improve much but costs more

13. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Also forgetting 20 phase power to tame Alder Lake. Shits going to be more disappointing than the bump from 10th > 11th gen.

14. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

15. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

16. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/future-hardware-releases/
    I found this interesting.
    lots of new products soon.

feels like a bit of a novel departure from the same old same old.
    Socket 1700, and big little cores. ddr5.
    yeh. this interests me. ill be looking at the budget range. B660 chipset (if it has ddr5)
    there will also be options with ddr4 support on socket 1700? so they say.
    the socket 1700 will require updating the cpu cooler mounting brackets.
    first 1700 boards end of 2021. so it's 1H of 2022 for me most likely.

unless the pc gets struck by lightning. which case 10700 plus asus tuf interim thing.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  17. MoutainDew

MoutainDew Member

if I was a betting man, I'd say DDR5 for the Z chipset and DDR 4 will be for the B and H chipset for 12th gen.

18. groovetek

groovetek Member

I doubt it would be as big a disappointment as 11th gen, and this is coming from an 11700K owner.

If you've owned one, then you'll know something is seriously wrong when AVX2 and AVX512 kicks in.

Like for like, the 11700K runs a good 15 degC hotter than 10700K for same package power under AVX2 load. Not sure physically how or why that is the case, but it does mean that it's a real pain for overclocking.

Under AVX1, completely no issues there. This means where one used to be able to run zero AVX offset if/when

19. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

20. Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself New Member

Anyone know exactly when the 12th Gen will be coming out? If it is really soon then I prob could wait for it otherwise if it is a fair bit away then might get the 11th Gen. :(