12th gen Intel Desktop Alder Lake CPU(tba)

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by fad, Jun 28, 2020.

1. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

2. Sledge

Sledge Member

I was originally going to go with AMD for my new system but I'll go with whatever is the best performance for the $ at the time..

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  3. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

at least mining farms are a little less hungry for cpu's than they are for gpu's :)

ie might actually be able to get one, but she'll be pricey nonetheless if it has the performance crown. :upset:

Sledge likes this.
  4. Sledge

Sledge Member

I never go top end so I'm hoping even the lower end have great performance still
    IE: 12700 beats 5800x for less $$

5. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Sledge likes this.
  6. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

7. mechwarrior

mechwarrior Member

looking forward to the new series. Currently running 7700k. Looking at the 12700k cpu, only use the pc for gaming.

8. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  9. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Z chipset motherboard from intel, cheap? lol.

Interested to see how much of the gap they can close, or even overtake, as a consumer, we win when both are competitive, enjoyed the red team for the last year as Ryzen is a very impressive release, however not counting intel out.

what i do hate is, FFS intel, release a socket thats good for more then 2 gens, thats intel to a T though, force you 2 buy a new mobo to get a new cpu! really dislike that

Personal feelings aside, looking forward to see that blue team can deliver!

10. MoutainDew

MoutainDew Member

Intel is like VW, they don't really care (even though they say they do) about the hardcore upgrader that have yearly shiny new stuff cycle. They care about the masses that upgrade maybe once every 3 to 5 years. Swapping a new MB every 3 to 5 isn't a big deal, for those of us that like our shiny stuff, it sucks.

Hotrod2go and nCrypt like this.
  11. micsway123

micsway123 Member

12. Sledge

Sledge Member

no point even looking at benchmarks until they're legit gaming benchmarks

Hotrod2go likes this.
  13. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

lol @ tweaktown.. They haven't changed much have they

TT Headline: " Intel's new Core i5-12400: Alder Lake destroys AMD Ryzen 5 5600X"

data: ~ 10% faster ST, ~8% faster MT :lol:

14. Sledge

Sledge Member

Hotrod2go likes this.
  15. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

16. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Well, I mean no one likes DRM - but this wasn't a problem before Alder lake, so it's a bit rough to point the finger at DRM in this instance.

17. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Not really true. DRM has been screwing over paying customers for a long long time while pirates get around it will not too much hassle.

Anyone remember games that had a 3 or 5 activation limit (Bioshock and Spore rings a bell). Reinstall the game too many times or upgrade your hardware too many times and you could not install it anymore. Back in my youth i pirated a lot of games and had less issues with them than I did with games I paid for. These days it not such a big issue as DRM seems to have been toned down a bit (or at least we are used to an always on experience) .

18. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Yeah. I understand completely. I'm just isolating what is a technical issue specific to Alder-lakes that has of more than one CPUID in a CPU , from the fact this software happens to be DRM.

Fact of the mater is Intel is flagging issues with certain software, and through a hastily developed programming guide (owing to it's several grammatical errors, and other issues) asking Developers to design with BIG.Little in mind , which just further reinforces my opinion that it's a crap idea for both higher power/performance systems , and the very diverse x86 software ecosystem, just compensating for the fact they haven't been able to make [relatively] high efficiency , compact, high performance cores for a long time now.

Look at Apple - they understand that for their 30w TDP SoCs and above, it's a waste of time , so they've dropped down to just two E cores , and they're FAR more of an 'efficiency core' than Gracemont and are purely there for completely non performance critical tasks.

19. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

I have been thinking a lot about going down the alder lake route for my next gaming build. But imo, & despite all the hype, speculation so far, its too much new tech, too soon. Can see problems here no doubt, & with Win 11 being its buddy first, I don't like it.
    So I've taken the plunge to go with Rocket lake for now. Call me cautious but I've been burnt before with 1st gen new tech & I'm not doing that again. Should have the new system up & running within weeks.

20. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Apple M1 E cores are a lot larger relative to the P cores when compared the Intel. Apple its about 50% where as Intel in 25% so dropping Intel E cores just does not have as much of a benefit in die space and maybe for Multicore workloads 4 E cores are faster than 1 P core.

Also with Alder-lake the E cores all share cache (sets of 4) so its not really easy to drop any.

As for DRM , I don't see why companies bother after the first couple of months so if developers just removed it later this would not be an issue (Once there is a Crack out you might as well just make paying peoples lives as easy as possible) . Also unless I'm wrong this issue is DRM specific as they specifically inspect the CPU rather than an issue with the core layout and its application efficiency .