12v battery charger ?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by bevanbraves, Feb 6, 2018.

1. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Does anyone know if you can buy a 12v battery charger to charge camera/gopro/drone 12v batteries, so that i don't need to use a 240v inverter when i'm camping?

The biggie is probably my laptop, is there a 12v charger that would charge that?

By 12v it could include USB, Narva or Cigarette (least reliable) sockets.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I'd be checking solar options.

Goal Zero is a good place to start looking and getting an idea of what kind of products are out there - https://www.goalzero.com.au/

3. OP
    OP
    bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

thanks Deftone
    I've got solar and deep cycle batteries to see me out in the bush for weeks at a time. What i don't have is the actual "charger" for the different kind of batteries i carry. I didn't know if there was a "universal" charger that might suit?

4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I figured they would have all the adaptors for the different devices/battery types that could hook up to the panels though? That or it goes into an inverter that you can then plug regular devices/chargers into.

5. Michael H

Michael H Member

I found a 12 volt transformer for my laptop. I just plug it into my second battery in the car, using 12 volt socket.

For iphone,etc I use battery powerpacks or use a USB charger from the second battery. I use 2 Aldi packs I bought for about $30 each, five years ago.

I also found 12 volt chargers for my camera batteries etc and just plug it into my second battery. Look on EBay, Amazon, Jaycar and 12 volt sites like here: https://www.12volt.com.au/

I even have a cable from an Anderson plug to a 12v cigarette plug, so I can access power from the external Anderson plug and run lead to my picnic table, if needed.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  6. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

To answer that, we'd need to know the style of batteries you need to charge. Are they standard format batteries or custom packs?

You can buy 12v laptop supplies from places like Jaycar.

7. MickybD

MickybD Member

I bought a dual camera battery charger from ebay like this one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quick-L...726051?hash=item3f8afc3ca3:g:9wAAAOSw~y9ZCc25 from that seller, and bought a 12V cigarette plug cable for it as well as it can charge from 240V or 12V. The battery plates are removable, and when I changed camera I messaged the seller to see if they could sell me the new plates for the new camera batteries and they did a special listing for me. I don't know if they can do gopro or drone batteries, but it would be worth messaging the seller to ask.

8. Light Horseman

Light Horseman Member

You can get 18650 battery packs on ebay that output 5v, 9v, 12v & USB. Might be something you can use.
    Maybe a few of these; http://r.ebay.com/S5RlYE

9. Potplanty

Potplanty Member

Buy a genuine charger, gut it, de-solder the transformer, wire in solar panel (with correct voltage after inverter) or battery bank directly to mainboard. Bingo bango bongo. You've now got a solar/portable camera battery charger (although it probably won't look as pretty).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  10. cvidler

cvidler Member

go and find car chargers for all your devices, they'll fo course expect the 12-15v a car will produce. and convert to what you need to charge your batteries, you won't find a universal charger for everything, simply because there's millions of different battery packs out there all with difference requirements.

laptops generally want more than 12v, e.g. the Dell I'm typing this on is 19v. you can get 12v input chargers fro this, but you'll need to find one that'll do both the voltage and the current your laptop needs, things like cameras/gopro's etc. are easy plenty of car charger options for those. as for a drone, depends on the battery pack - again car chargers are available in most instances.

go googling/ebaying.