13-Inch MacBook Pro Arrives and New 15-Inch MacBook Pro..

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jun 9, 2009.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

13-Inch MacBook Pro Arrives and MacBook Air Gets a Price Cut

http://i.gizmodo.com/5283283/13+inch-macbook-pro-arrives-and-macbook-air-gets-a-price-cut

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New 15-Inch MacBook Pro Features 7-Hour Battery Life and SD Card Slot

http://i.gizmodo.com/5283256/new-15+inch-macbook-pro-features-7+hour-battery-life-and-sd-card-slot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kimnkk

kimnkk Member

Not a bad upgrade, good to see the CPU speed bumped up.

SD Card is always good, good for my compact camera. Screen upgrade is definitely a big plus as the current MBP screen is pretty poor.

Only one problem, built in battery is a major, major no-no for me. One of the biggest reasons why i didn't go for the 17" (apart from being over-priced as well).

Would have been a pretty awesome refresh if it weren't for the battery imo. :tongue:

Edit:

Just noticed this when i was re-reading.

Looks like the SD card replaces the ExpressCard slot? Wow, just wow!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  3. qwijibo

qwijibo Member

Anyone know if the ram & hdd is user-upgradable in the new macbook pro?

4. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

The new 13 inch is missing two important things - express card slot, and a Matt screen option. I could live with 5 hours of battery life, but I can't live with a gloss screen. In some ways the Firewire 800 port makes up for the lack of express card slot, but for the love of god give me a Matt screen option!!!!!

5. dche5390

dche5390 Member

Something else to consider: lack of upgrade option for DYI memory and HDD due to the new inbuilt battery.

Something else: removal of 9600MGT from the base 15" MBP. It is essentially a bigger MacBook with cruddy integrated graphics.

The new products does make getting that first Mac much more appealing and less painful for the wallet. Apple knows how to sell - that much I'm sure of.

6. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Why does the inbuilt battery = no DIY memory or HDD upgrades?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...acbook-pro-17-unibody-how-to-upgrade-ram.html

7. xcalibur

xcalibur Member

the 13inch never had matte screen, maybe only a few generations ago before the core2. so you'll never get one,unless it's after market

8. IPfreely

IPfreely Member

so let me get this straight...

the new 13" Macbook "PRO" is just the same as the old 13" Alu Macbook except for the addition of a sdcard slot.

Does it have the long life 7hr battery?
    According to Apple Australia's website it does, but I'm reading conflicting reports on other websites.

9. lythari

lythari Member

Has the price changed here in AU? I can't recall what the old pricing was like.

10. FB008

FB008 Member

AFAIK it would have the 7 hour battery, but is non-removable?

was $2099 for the base model 13" unibody macbook, but this one has gained a faster CPU and a backlit keyboard, along with the SD slot etc.

11. vindicator

vindicator Member

The Mac Book range was great value before. Now they are excellent value. There is absolutely no reason not to buy a Mac now.

12. sanjay

sanjay Member

lol, new 13 inch macbook pro is $1899...dell had better have some massive price drops in store for their studio xps 13 (arguably, the macbook's closest competitor).

finally, macs have competitive prices (relatively).

base macbook is still FAR too expensive at $1600. it should be more like $1300...

my problem with the new macbooks is inbuilt battery - means that if youre not running the laptop away from the desk...the battery is sitting in there, amidst all the heat, with a constantly topped-up 100% charge...say goodbye to battery health. what i always do with my notebooks is if im running it on the mains for a long time - battery comes out and is stored in the bag. ive instructed my grampa on good battery health and after a year and a half, his laptop battery is still at 100% health...whereas if it just sat in the back of the laptop when he used it at his desk (like he does 99% of the time) it would be a useless pile of lithium by now.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  13. vindicator

vindicator Member

I've never had more then one battery for any of my laptops, and I've left them plugged in at my desk all day. I've never had a battery die on me. Working in an APAC role with hundreds of deployed laptops, in my experience this isn't an issue for most people.

14. KappA

KappA Member

Luckily the loss of the ExpressCard slot does not effect me. Otherwise this would have ruined my G4 PB upgrade plan. Time to order up :D

15. Mshake

Mshake Member

firewire's back...but would be interesting to see if it's still cheapo chipset for it....

And although I will buying one of these soon - it amazes me that a single SD card gets so much attention at a developer's gathering...my goodness.... how much is it for Apple to put a card reader in there LOL.....

The build-in battery, well I would imagine that you can still open the case and swap it yourself just that it will void the warranty....but of course when you go back for problems, you would simply swap back all original equipments?

16. Riskbreaker

Riskbreaker Member

i am awaiting on news and reviews on the upgradability on the new 13inch macbook pro. If it is possible to upgrade the hdd and memory, then im sold. this pricing definately puts the mac in direct competiton with the pc market. Afterall apple has made a good name for itself, with products such as ipod and iphone.

17. fuzzyimages

fuzzyimages Member

As much as these are awesome ... l'm actually waiting to see how much the old models drop by over the next couple of days.

18. Deanodriver

Deanodriver Member

Wow, now THAT's an update.

Makes me kind of wish I'd waited a couple of months, I kinda miss not having an SD slot on my MBP. Also, I tend to run on the 9400M most of the time anyway. That said, I'm happy with my MBP :)

Is the screen on the 13" MBP going to be better than the old 13" MacBook screen?

19. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Actually I think I might just wait a couple of months for one of the 2.53 13 inch ones to hit the refurb store and just get one. It will make a nice upgrade speed wise for me (Currently on Mermon 2.2 gig) and it should be alot better battery life wise (My currently one had the battery run out half way home on the flight from Istanbul, and I could have been processing for another 2 hours at least). I will just have to deal with going back to USB card readers from the current express card slot CF reader I am using.

20. >XaartaX<

>XaartaX< Member

Umm the 15" MBP has the same graphics. http://www.apple.com/au/mac/whichmacbook/compare.html

Removing the expresscard slot was a mistake. If a user really wanted firewire they could add a firewire express card. I use mine for esata. Now I'd no longer have that option unless I went for the 17".

Poor show Apple for further reducing connectivity (none of the ppls I know who have mbps use firewire).