1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

1440p system

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Scott Barrett, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Scott Barrett

Scott Barrett Member

Hi everyone. I am a 1980's gamer (Galaga is AWESOME!). So in the present, I am a 44 year old part time gamer that plays PC games in my lounge room on the recliner on my 65 inch Samsung MU7000 TV. I want to play 1440p resolution as it looks really good on the TV. At present I have an I7 4790 with an RTX 2060 and 16 GB ram. I was wandering what is everyone's recommendation for 1440p gaming specs for the next 4-5 years, as money spent/future proofing is absolutely the key. Do I need to replace the I7?

2. Samicans

Samicans Member

your i7 should be good for maybe 3/4 years max but apart from that you should be fine but if i were you, i would invest in a ryzen CPU and replace your mobo and get some speedy memory but thats as far as i would go and about the biggest upgrade id do. if you wanted to keep the mobo then replace the i7 with an i7 9700k if you're willing to spend a buck or two (500). mind you i know little to nothing about intel cpus

3. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

As Samicans has suggested, I would upgrade your CPU, motherboard and memory.
    Ryzen 5 3600 (6 Core / 12 Threads) - $286 (includes cooler)
    Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 - $114
    G.Skill Trident Z RGB (2x 8GB 3600mhz) - $143
    Total - $543

Would also get a bit back from selling your current CPU, motherboard and memory (maybe $200ish). Makes the switch over a little over $300.

Your RTX 2060 is solid. The platform listed above would allow for that to be swapped out for a new offering from Nvidia or AMD if you wanted to get some more FPS down the track.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Scott Barrett likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Scott Barrett

Scott Barrett Member

Hi Samicans. Thanks for your time. I find that the new Intel CPU's are great for gaming. The confusion is the AMD CPU's and mobos in regards to future proofing. Technical reason wise, AMD is the go with PCIE 4. But FPS show Intel has the advantage. Confusing for casual gamers on family budgets that still want to game and with limted time to game, I can spend the money, where its worth it.

5. OP
    OP
    Scott Barrett

Scott Barrett Member

Hi the antipop, thanks for your reply. So you like metal music? Enough of my humor. So your suggesting the RTX2060 is fine for 1440p, just the CPU, mob and ram need upgrading?

6. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Haha, I do.
    And yeah, for the time being definitely. Your RTX 2060 is 2019 era, whereas your CPU is from 2014. I updated my original post with a B550 motherboard - cheaper and has PCIe 4, so win win.

If you want to hold out until the end of the year, you could pickup the successor to the Ryzen 5 3600 (most likely the Ryzen 5 4600) which will be even better.

7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yes Galaga is awesome. :)

Not sure though what you're expecting by increasing resolution of a lower resolution source apart from a slightly cleaner edges in the upscaling. I assume you're running Galaga via MAME or RetroArch? If your going to continue to play retro games only, then I see no need for an upgrade here.

JSmith

8. OP
    OP
    Scott Barrett

Scott Barrett Member

Hey go the Metal!!.. So the million dollar question. i5 10600k , or AMD 3600 for future proofing. I always think that previous gen, in regards to current gen is always the value for money.

9. OP
    OP
    Scott Barrett

Scott Barrett Member

Hi mate. In regards to Galaga, just saying I'm an old gamer, just want quality gaming in my lounge room for the latest titles.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  10. Samicans

Samicans Member

the reason id go with amd is thhat although they dont give as good fps, they do run alot cooler, as the antipop suggested a r5 3600 would be a very good future proofed cpu and will last you a good 4-6 years and as the architects that ryzen cpus run on mature more and more, stability will increase

11. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

another consideration is 1440 nearly always creates GPU bottlebeck so CPU is less important, but there is some titles where CPU at 1440 can make huge difference, GTA 5 is one. There will be some games though where FPS between your 4790k & AMD 3600 are identical.

12. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Do you need to upgrade right now?
    That system is still not too bad.

I game at 1440p with a 2500K albiet overclocked to 4.5Ghz odd and a 1080GTX and I don't have problems.

I'd wait until the end of the year as the new AMD chips are supposed to be revealed which are potentially going to be faster than Intel even for Gaming.
    I'm not seeing anything new on the market Intel wise until, possibly mid or late 2021.
    Same as the Nvidia's 3080's are coming out in a month or two also.

13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Looks like there may be a 31/8 release.
    Agree, so when the new ones come out you may find some good savings on previous gen.

JSmith

14. OP
    OP
    Scott Barrett

Scott Barrett Member

Its a weird one. My system can play for example the latest Star Wars game at 1440P on mostly high settings, but struggles for frames considerably with Assassins Creed Odyssey.

15. OP
    OP
    Scott Barrett

Scott Barrett Member

Yep, I think there are good deals on Amazon for Ryzen CPU's at the minute.

16. Goosegamer

Goosegamer Member

I think you will find Odyssey the expansiveness of the open world factor plus the constant loading of scenery as you move around, which would primarily be where your see your dips in FPS, as people have suggested, go with mobo cpu and ram upgrade to whatever fits your budget really, the RTX 2060 should do you quite well for the next 4-5 with no problems, I'm a AMD nut as you can see from my signature, just go with what ever suits your budget and know how really

17. OP
    OP
    Scott Barrett

Scott Barrett Member

Ok awesome everyone thanks for your replies. The suggested hardware is what I sort of had in mind, just wanted confidence that I could play 1440p on my TV with that hardware. Cheers!!