1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

~$1500, What camera?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by muzzi, May 16, 2004.

1. muzzi

muzzi Member

Aight, so I am a camera nube.

BUT :) I will be using this shitloads. There has been so many times I have thought, damn I wish I had a digital camera here.

I will be using it to take photos on cruises (I love cruising to obscure places, usually at night) I will be using it to take photos of my mates blading (I do aggressive skating), Scenery shots, hopefully artistic shots :) I will be using it when I go away on holidays, and when I go snowboarding this year.

I want a nice one, because I know that I will be doing heaps with it. No matter what happens this year (I have loads of plans, but they can't all happen) I will be using this camera, it fits no matter what I end up doing, no matter where I end up going.

Can someone suggest a few cameras, with the pros and cons of each? The only thing is I would like to be able to take nice photos in a variety of different places, in a variety of different lights and distances and environments with the default lense, I don't want to have to spend another ~$1k to take a nice shot. IS this possible?

Also, some good sites on cameras, with the whys and hows and what not would be good. Thanks :)

edit, oh, and I will probably get it off ebay to save a few $.

edit2, also, that $1500 isn't a dead set limit, anything around this price range is fine :)

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  2. Bern

Bern Mind the gap!

3. |\|!<|<

|\|!<|< Member

Perhaps the Canon EOS 300D? a nice DSLR which will allow you to progress your photography skills with the addition of lenses etc., but this is merely a suggestion. As mentioned above, DPreview should be able to help you with technicalities etc.

4. OP
    OP
    muzzi

muzzi Member

Sounds good, I am going to have a looksy at that site.

|\|!<|< - suggestions are good, thats what I am after :)

5. sirshelldrake

sirshelldrake Member

another huge vote for the 300D (i'd even suggest the nikon D70 as it's a better DSLR for the money then the 300D is). you can pick them up brand new for just over 1500 new. BUT you'll need to spend more money on decent glass. mind you no matter what camera you, you'll probably need to spend money on other things, particuraly a tripod

edit: if 1500 is max, then i'd recomend the canon s1 and get some stuff like a tripod and other stuff. going with a DSLR, your gona have to spend closer to 3k to get camera, and a couple of decent lens's plus tripod and carry bag.

major note: as i'm sure you'll figure out with decent research, dont bother with the new 8mp cameras. anything over 5mp in the P&S class is bad due to the sensor size being too small

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  6. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

You have a choice between entry level DSLR and high-end point and shoot cameras, like these 5 which are all based on the Sony 8MP sensor.

This thread, posted by Jab, links to an excellent but controversial article for buyers faced with exactly the same dilemma (DSLR vs prosumer P&S). Most of the replies in that thread are well reasoned. Post any further queries in that thread.

Once you have decided on a DSLR or a prosumer P&S, you can do your research with the many links provided in this thread.

Sorry to keep on pointing you to threads, but these questions have been asked before. Please don't feel that i'm being dismissive, we'll all be glad to help once you've made up your mind a bit more :)

7. taksan

taksan Member

A D70 with the 18-70 (?) lens .....pick up up on Ebay as a kit direct from hong kong around those dollars

8. -anteh-

-anteh- Member

im no pro, but i can say that the 300d seems to be a pretty nice camera :)
    i got mine for $1400 a while back when a friend was in hongkong. Anyway its easy to use (pre-set settings), and ive taken some decent photos with it.

9. djsherly

djsherly Member

One thing to bear in mind is that most P&S cameras out there have a phenomenon called 'shutter lag' - it's the amount of time that elapses between when you press the button to take a photo and when the photo is actually taken.

If you're taking planning to take photos of friends rollerblading or whatever it would be worthwhile to keep this in mind as it will be difficult to compensate for this 'feature', particularly if you are intending to photograph moving objects.

10. berek

berek Member

Or you could prefocus and have next to no shutter lag. TEST OF LAG HERE

11. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

12. Onyx

Onyx Member

Re: Re: ~$1500, What camera?

Shock horror, taksan recommending a Nikon?! :shock:

13. taksan

taksan Member

Re: Re: Re: ~$1500, What camera?

Well the D70 with 18-70 is a better deal by far then the 300D ... I've made no secret of my disgust for Canon's behaviour in crippling the 300D.