1800x high cpu usage

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by riccoo, Jan 24, 2019.

1. riccoo

riccoo Member

gents i got a ryzen 1800x and when i open obs cpu sits at 50% idel and when i stream it goes up to 98% cpu usage? any ideas why it would be doing this, specs below

***edit - this is a 2nd pc for streaming only, no gaming happens on it

https://imgur.com/a/UbjADOz pc specs

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. havabeer

havabeer Member

I thought streaming was extremely CPU heavy.

Not sure why its idling so high unless you have a process in the background doing it. Is it overclocked

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

What OS?

If WIN10 open Task Manager>>Performance(tab)>>OpenResourceMonitor(link)>>CPU(tab).
    At Idle what are the processes using the resources? Take a screenshot and post back.

Also on Task Manager is the Startup(tab) how many of these are enabled?

To me it reads like you have some AV and or other background crap running that is hogging resources during idle these need to be isolated and killed off if they are bloatware. These are persisting when you are streaming (it seems you have no GPU) and thus your hitting the 98%.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    AlliZ likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    riccoo

riccoo Member

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

So obs64 is a 'Open Broadcaster Software';
    https://obsproject.com/download
    Does obs64 'start with windows'?

If you kill that process (obs64) does CPU usage reflect "expected" activity ranges?

I think the problem is very obvious - turn obs64 off! Only use it when you are capturing/streaming and expect the CPU usage to spike when using it.

You haven't commented on whether you have a GPU or are using iGPU - obs64 is obviously using the iGPU and may need to be re-configured if you have a GPU to be using that.

6. OP
    OP
    riccoo

riccoo Member

so confused, when i open obs and stream thats when usage sits at 90% with it closed i get idle of 1%

7. havabeer

havabeer Member

So you're confused.... that program that uses the CPU heavily, is using the CPU heavily when running??

You understand that streaming: videos your screen, it also has to compresses that video down, and then sends it off over the internet. It takes a fair bit of grunt to do that work.

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Exactly, that app is doing some serious DATA capture, encoding and networking all at the same time that is a lot of 'processing' work for the CPU to do.

Your issue is obvious and you may want to consider searching for a more resource efficient application to do the same job (I doubt you are going to find anything as it is a lot of work being undertaken).

https://obsproject.com/wiki/General-Performance-And-Encoding-Issues
    Late edit: it's like saying 'I have a 4cyl car which runs great but when I hook up a caravan and/or trailer in daisy chain my car goes really slow................no wonder the car is pulling a massive load and is struggling with it!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    riccoo

riccoo Member

wait sorry, i do get the fact that when its encoding it loads up, but i have seen people with same builds getting way low load % then what i am getting,

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

On that same page I have linked it gives you options to reduce the load on the CPU.

There is also;
    How To Disable Windows 10 Game Mode

https://obsproject.com/wiki/How-to-disable-Windows-10-Game-Mode

You should also be reviewing the set-up guides and searching their forums.

11. FOTW

FOTW Member

Try some of these to reduce CPU usage. Your running at 60fps try dropping down to 30 fps. Also drop bitrate down a little to 3300 should be fine for 720p.

Animations and webcam picture in picture will also hit CPU hard.

https://obsproject.com/forum/thread...ing-too-long-to-encode-read-this-first.23334/

Also remember allot of streamers have second PCs just to handle the encoding part because OBS is so CPU intensive.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019