1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

18v lithium batteries for tools - interchangable

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by psychobunny, Dec 16, 2017.

1. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

so i have a set of garden tools where the 1.3Ah battery packs are on their last legs. They seem to just have + & - contacts and all the other circuitry is in the battery.

Rather than getting them repacked im thinking i may be better off getting something like an aldi 4ah pack and charger and converting the tool over. Would this work and if so what do i need to look out for to avoid lithium fires?

2. thebranded

thebranded Member

i've done similar with Triton drill and Ozito battery, works fine. Made a battery adaptor so physically the drill can still use Triton battery if i wish.

ksj 007 likes this.
  3. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Not a lot.. The Aldi packs , like any other , have there BMS , and any current limiting insiden the pack. the tools have no smarts in them.

So yeah if you can adapelt them to fit you'll be good to go.

4. pocketfluff

pocketfluff Member

I've had success repacking cells and slapping on a cheap aliexpress bms for packs with a bad circuit board. Also have run packs with no bms and wired a connector outside the pack to allow for cell ballancing with an rc type charger. Just don't run a pack with no bms to protect the cells.

5. ksj 007

ksj 007 Member

Hi thebranded, I am interested in making an adapter for the Ozito battery as well, so I can use them on my Triton tools. I'm wondering if it is easy to do or if you can show me what to do? (From my research, I think you can use the GMC batteries for Triton as well, but the Ozito batteries are much cheaper - so probably better to make an adaptor). Looking forward to hearing back from you.

6. power

power Member

some tools are designed with this in mind to the point you can buy the tools battery less (ask me how I know!).

i'd start over with better stuff.

pinchies likes this.
  7. thebranded

thebranded Member

Hi, to make the adapter was reasonably easy

Parts:
    - Ozito USB charger - https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-power-x-change-18v-usb-power-station_p6290517
    Need this for the ozito battery contacts
    - Triton battery (ideally dead)
    This will be used to connect the above Ozit terminals to the triton tool
    - 2 inches of wire x2, i used some 10amp 240v mains wire, any wire will do as long as it can handle the amps that the battery will supply
    - plastic (optional), i re made the base of the triton battery to make the overall adapter slimmer, you can just connect the Ozito battery charger terminals ot the base of the triton battery.

So assemble is to gut the usb charger and the triton battery, all you are doing is extending the terminals from the usb charger to the triton battery terminals. make sure you dont swap the wires round, connect +tive to +tive and -tive to -tive.

i didnt take pics while making it but i'll post pics of the finished product

andy8 and ksj 007 like this.
  8. ksj 007

ksj 007 Member

Thanks, I will have a go. If you could please post a couple if pics of the finished product that would be really useful.

9. thebranded

thebranded Member

aXis, pinchies and ksj 007 like this.
  10. ksj 007

ksj 007 Member

That's pretty creative. Thanks for that it's really helpful.

11. Azrael

Azrael Member

pinchies likes this.
  12. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

I was interested in powering Ryobi with Makita packs. However, Makita packs appear to be directly hooked to the tool, the tool then appears to cut the power off based on information from the battery. I was then told Ryobi packs cut the power in the pack. I didn't do a full investigation but, based on appearances alone, it was enough for me to find a different solution. Take care. Worst case lithium battery failures are dangerous stuff.

13. `Cedric

`Cedric New Member

I want to do the opposite.
    I have 2 perfectly good Triton batteries, 1.3 & 3.0AH, also a number of Triton tools. I chose a reasonably cheap brand because I don't do a lot of work with them - that also means I would prefer not to replace my drill, torch etc with new units of another brand. Additionally, I don't want to be carrying 2 cases of tools around to jobs. But I now need to get a 100 or 115 mm angle grinder, and Triton is not available in Australia as far as I know.

So I want to run an angle grinder off my Triton batteries. Has anyone made a battery converter for this application? (or do any other brands have the same attachment shoe as Triton?)

14. ksj 007

ksj 007 Member

Hi,
    I think Triton has now been rebranded to Bayer (99% sure, and you may want to confirm with the shop or manufacturer). Check out this link for the angle grider - https://sydneytools.com.au/product/...5-18v-li-ion-cordless-angle-grinder-skin-only.
    Otherwise I have been able to use the Triton battery on my Ozito Power Xchange tool, however the battery doesn't clip securely in place.
    Also, I'd try eBay and Gumtree to see if there are used Triton tools - I've seen some previously but less these days.

Cheers.

15. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Rebuild a couple of small Ozito packs using 18650s out of a sick Dyson pack not too long ago - biiiit of a difference in cell capacity, and the Dyson pack used Sanyo cells as well.

Was a bit of fiddling to amputate the old cells out and graft the new cells in (keeping the original BMS board in the Ozito pack), but it made a hellava difference on run time. Damned things run for hours now.

Only downside is it now takes hours (!) to charge them up using the original Ozito charger. Might try grafting a different wall wart onto the charging base, one day, when I've got time...

*cough* try asking Uncle Google - oodles of places selling the Triton cordless stuff here in Oz. And, um... FYI - Triton IS Australian... ;)

16. `Cedric

`Cedric New Member

KSJ 007: I asked Sydney Tools if the Bayer cordless angle grinder will run off a Triton battery.
    Ans: In order to run Bayer products that are battery operated you will require Bayer batteries.
    So thanks for the suggestion, but looks like I have to look on eBay and so forth.