1950x TR and vega 64 loops

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by TaroT, Sep 24, 2017.

1. TaroT

TaroT Member

Ok for a start i have never done a custom loop...AIO and air only this is my first time so take that into account when you decide to be smart asses...oh and i haven't slept in days (first granddaughter) so expect that lear...you know the one.

i have a threadripper and a vega 64.
    cooling the Tr with ah115i which is doing pretty well but coming up to summer and overclocking in mind it just won't cut the mustard.
    and the vega...well its a reference...so yeha no need to go on about that.

what i was going to do was get a big rad a big pump and cool them both but on looking around and the amount of heat these things can pump out i chickened out and decided to do 2 loops.
    Here are the parts i have and please don't but you should have bought i would have bought, this is what i have and this is what ahs to work.
    i am fully open to constructive critisicm and ideads to make it better....after...i actually build it but for now i am cash tapped out and tired.

ok my thoughts (oh a i have a corsair 750d case by the way not the airflow version though...but that is nothing a dremmel can't fix)

ok for the vega loop
    the ek 140 at the back hanging off the back of the case with the fan inside(or outside but i thought it would be stronger the first way)
    the smaller pump hanging off the back of that with the bracket.
    so pump>rad>videocard>pump
    does that look right?

for the treadripper the 420 rad WILL fir up top, i will need to move things around and dremmel or plier a couple of things but it will fit :)
    i was going to mount the pump on the front 140 mm fan with the bracket and leave the lower drive cage where it is as opposed to moving the drive cage to the left and jamming the pump in down the bottom.
    now for rad would it be better to have the connections up front closer to the pump or at the rear closer to the cpu but further from the pump and have to go over the video card.

pump>rad>cpu>pump
    again does that look right?

as for draining the big pump has an extra port but if i mount it with the 2 ports away from the fan it blocks the rear one or if there is room put the two main ports to the back of the case and have the single drain pointing to the side of the case.

as for the video loop i got a v type connector so i can put a drain tap on that and being outside the case should be easier only issue is it wouldn't be the lowest point OR put the drain on the lower port of the video card(but would that screw up flow.)

so many friggen questions. Hope i amd some sort of sense.

2. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I like dual loops, I have separate loops on my test bench, what do you need to know?

:thumbup:

3. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Awesome and Congrats :)

My second grandson was born on Friday - so sorta know what you mean.

I did my first loop a few months ago and am about to do a threadrippper (well pretty sure it will be threadripper if the SWBO and dollar fairies let it be so) build in to a Phanteks Primo with a Vega 64 (ek block) so am totally onboard for some toing and froing and otherwise noobish discussion.

It was not as daunting as I thought it would be once I started in the Define S as it is very friendly for watercooling.

I notice you have 10/13mm fittings - that will be easier than the 13/19 I used as they took a fair bit of effort to get the compression fittings tight.

I postioned mine so it went pump-vga-cpu-rad-pump rather than cpu to pump (you can ignore the vga in mine for your purposes). I didnt have a reason for it other than that was the best flow in terms of positioning

See here
    Click to view full size!

Anyway I expect pics etc as you go - if I can offer any benefit from my limited experience I will but am keen to see how it goes.

4. OP
    OP
    TaroT

TaroT Member

cool thanks.
    i,ll be sure to take pics.
    now one thing i noticed when i threw the water blocks on the pump(just to sort of run distilled water threw them and test for water leaks) is that the pump gets hot and actually heats the water(which makes sense since the water cools it) so even thought the water in your setup goes through the rads and gets cooled wouldn't it heat it up a bit when going up to the vga? or does the full speed pumping sort of equal it out if you went the other way.

sort of what i want to know is little tips like....when the water heats up retighten your compression fittings because like a dumbass you forget pvc gets soft when hot :p

do the rads have in a in out port or doesn't matter unless you have it on its side that is like a car radiator.

does a big rad like the 420 have a hot spot or even fan speeds will do.

are there tips to leak testing in the system? lay paper down i have seen but since the actual cpu video is not being heated up will it get warm enough to heat the tubes...or should you after i is actually running for a bit retighten them.

i also have 2 pumps so can both pumps go on a single pwm splitter to the water pump header on the motherboard?

that's all i can think of right now got to go do granddaughter duties.
    looking at your setup i just remembered something should i fill the reservoir to the top i noticed when i didn't the pump got really warm and heated up the cpu block and was noisy but once i filled it up (like you do in a car rad it was quiet and a lot cooler.

this is the setup as it stands now (ignore the dust i will clean it all when i strip it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  5. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Congratulations on the new arrival!

Just to make sure I've understood you right mate - a 420 for the CPU, and then a separate 140 for the GPU?

6. OP
    OP
    TaroT

TaroT Member

yes and the parts just arrived unfortunately it seems the dining table i was going to use the is granddaughters new bathing station so i,ll have to wait a few :)

7. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yeah, the house gets re-purposed everywhere for the little ones! I lost my desk for a bit :p

Any reason why you're putting the higher TDP on the smaller radiator mate? I know you're going to OC the 1950, but you'd still be fine on the 420 alone :thumbup:

8. terroristone

terroristone Member

ive got the same case and have more than enough cooling, dual loops are good but nore sure you'll have the room.

[​IMG]
    T1

9. Phat Devil

Phat Devil Member

Terroristone, that looks good!!! So much rad for 2 blocks lol.

Tarot, you could run all that with a single loop if you want and will help with space issues of 2 Res/pumps etc.

This is what I've just built on the weekend. Ryzen + vega64, 2x vega56.
    Xspc Rx360 + Rx240, single D5

[​IMG]

Ps. Why 3 vega, because I'm dumb lol. Impulse bought the 64 on release, then bought 2 56s pretty cheap to crossfire instead. And I couldn't be bothered trying to sell the 64 at a loss so I have them all in there for mining when I'm not playing games.

With the gentle typhoons running at 1100-1300rpm, CPU is at 28c, v64 is 41, middle v56 is 43, and bottom v56 is 44 currently mining away.

10. OP
    OP
    TaroT

TaroT Member

is that a 420 up top?
    and yes if i got rid of the hard drive bay and the dvd drive i could set it up similar to yours but honestly...i do not want to :)

i have decided to go a Frankenstein route :p as soon as i can squeeze a table in here out of the way i will get started.

no reason other than i thought it was logical to do it that way, also the video card is not going to be loaded anywhere near the time the threadripper will.

if it proves to hot i can always swap them :)

and when i am finished i will post some pics of the work etc and wait for the WTH WTF and ONFG why comments :)

thanks for all the pics and suggestions and feel free to keep them coming.

11. OP
    OP
    TaroT

TaroT Member

ok i will think about that...but with my evil plans space won't be an issue :)

oh also i thought doing it this way also might make it a little easier if i want to add cards or whatever.

one question though when leak testing do you plug the fans in as well or just leave them off and would it be better to leak test with just demineralised water then drain it and refill with the other stuff or just go for broke and leak test with the coolant :)

12. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Leak testing..... I just boot my pc and bleed as it goes. Have had 1 puny leak that I tightened on the spot.

Living on the edge is fun. :wired:

13. Phat Devil

Phat Devil Member

I leak tested it with just distilled water and nothing on except for the pump. But then all my fans are plugged into the motherboard. I usually put paper towels under fittings so you can easily see leaks, having fans on would have blown them everywhere.

No leaks happened and draining the loop was a pain in the butt with hard tubing, really need to make a drain port somewhere lol.

14. terroristone

terroristone Member

120.3 up top

15. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

IDK why you'd bother separating the loops.
    The 140 doesn't even seem like enough for a Vega 64, that thing's gonna run HOT.
    Besides, a 420 is overkill for 1 CPU, even a 1950x.
    Why not just combine the loops and spread the love?

16. juzz86

juzz86 Member

:thumbup::thumbup:

17. OP
    OP
    TaroT

TaroT Member

because i'm mental :)

ok done.
    it's ....different :)
    as for the 140 it seems to cool it just fine.
    as for the 420 i may have gone overboard with the grizzly so i,ll run it a few days and check BUT 27 degrees in here and the worst i got was 60 for about 2 seconds.

averages around 50 ish compared to 60/65 with the h115i with the same ambient temps.

as for leak testing hell yes i did :) only thing that happened was the reservoirs got a little seepy but after bleeding they seem fine now no other connecter even looked like leaking.
    as for they way i did it...shutup it's my computer and i can go nuts if i want to :)

ok pics...but again careful i am fragile(as if :p)

now this is all stock except the vega that is tweaked a little basically what i was running it on air and that would easily slam 84 degrees all day long and throttle.

next step is firestrike stress test.
    now judge me as you may BUT my reasoning is to keep as many point of water failure out of the case as possible (and leave room for other things :) )
    you may also refer to me by my new name...chickenshit :)

i call it franken deadpool.

i am also going to post this in the threadripper thread to get more jabs :)
    now...if you think i can improve it...where it sits...like a drain on the video card? i have it shoved up the back in a useless place really and a drain on the cpu....although where it is i would have to hang it off the block wouldn't i ?

either way drains are not a big concern for me right now...testing and watching it every second while biting my nails is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. juzz86

juzz86 Member

EDIT: Fucked if I know what happened, pics up!

Come up nice :thumbup:

19. terroristone

terroristone Member

My god, what a mess. Looks like old school setups we used to build back in the day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  20. Phat Devil

Phat Devil Member

Spaghetti!!!! Hahaha.