1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

1st Cannon lens recommendation

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by rugae, Oct 8, 2013.

1. rugae

rugae Member

Looking for some advice for my first DSLR camera and lens.

I've decided to get the Cannon 70D body.
    Lens I'm looking at the Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD.

I'm hoping to shoot school graduations and eventually weddings for family.

Does that zoom lens sound like a good place to start?
    Any other recommendations on the lens?

Thanks

2. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

It's a nitpick, but unless you're one of these guys, you're shooting a Canon, not a cannon. :)

The only potential issue you'll run into is that 24mm isn't all that wide on a crop (APS-C) body like the 70D. I'd be looking at something like the EF-S 17–55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

I don't know what the other manufacturers off (Sigma, Tamron etc.) but something in the 17mm-?mm range would be where I'd start.

3. wahoo84

wahoo84 Member

It's more than just a "good place to start" imho.

It's one of the best quality lenses you can get out there for the money in today's market!

However, in saying that, and many will follow, that lens MAY be a little bit narrow on the wide end since you'll be using it on a 70D which is a cropped-sensor body. eg. On a full frame (5D/1D/6D), the widest angle would be maybe 80 degrees. On a cropped (60D/70D/7D), the widest angle is cropped down to maybe around 60 degrees... i can't remember the specifics but you get the point.

It'll make a nice portrait lens, but you'll be some what limited if you were trying to take wider shots at weddings unless you had a LOT of space to step back.

Maybe you can consider going for a 6D over the 70D or maybe even a 2nd hand 5DMk2.

Otherwise, a canon 17-55 f2.8 IS would give you the equivalent of the 24-70 on a cropped and it's a superb (but also expensive) lens.

Just opinion based on my experience... you could get away with using a 24-70 on a 70D, but when I shot a wedding using a 24-70 on a 40D i found it too narrow on the wide end.

4. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

This. I tried one out, and I just bought one off a member here. It should be arriving in the next day or two. Fantastic lens, although be ready to pay for the privilege.

If you're after something a bit cheaper, a Canon 17-85 or a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 are also good options. Sigma's recently released a new line of lenses but I haven't been keeping up with them, unfortunately (even though they do have some stellar lenses - like their new 35mm prime).

The 24-105 f/4L is another option, but I'd usually reserve this for full-frame on a budget, which a 70D is not. There's nothing "wrong" with using this lens on your 70D, but do keep in mind that 24mm isn't terribly wide-angle on a crop-sensor camera.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the DSLR club, enjoy your stay. :thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  5. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

A couple of people here do weddings professionally. Just look at their kits.

Personally I would sacrifice zoom, for telephoto range and speed. I.e. Get a short telephoto prime in the 85-135mm range.

I shot my last wedding with an 85/1.4 and 200/2.8 lens. I left the 35/1.4 in the bag.

6. OP
    OP
    rugae

rugae Member

The Cannon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM is too costly for me so I've opt out for the Sigma lens + some accessories + a cheap prime lens to play with.

I do constantly hear good things about prime lenses but probably not for my first lens to experiment on/invest in.

I'll do more thinking...

Option 1:
    Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 DI VC USD

Option 2:
    Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
    Speedlite 430EX
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II

7. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

The Sigma is a nice lens.

Go to JB and get a DWI price match with reference to CRK. :thumbup:

8. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

I'd say option 2 without a doubt if you don't already have a decent flash its a must. I used a 350D with kit lens + 50 F1.8 and 580EX for several years before feeling the need to upgrade

9. Ishinomori

Ishinomori Member

Will JB match DWI?

What is CRK?

Cheers,

10. Jim G

Jim G Member

I would go with #2 - 24mm isn't super wide on a crop and the nifty fifty is a beaut lens to learn about super narrow DOF on. The speedlite will make a big difference in some situations, too - bounced light looks far, far, better than direct flash.

When we used to do weddings (eight years worth) we started out using zooms and ended up moving to an entirely prime setup except for a UWA, which is the same setup I use today. It's good to have a taste of both so that you know which suits your style more - neither is wrong!

11. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Go with Option 2.

Dont get hung up on gear, just get something that will do what you need so you can learn.

12. Xang

Xang Member

The Tamron 24-70 should be fine for your graduations and whatever else. I'd still recommend the 17-55 for crop bodies though.

For a proper wedding kit you may need to expand your budget a tad.

13. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Yes, and in some cases beat it (for Sigma lenses, as far as my experience goes).

CRK is the national distributor for Sigma, and a host of other brands, that will match grey prices/influence retailers at buyer behest.

14. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Agreed.

I would infact not purchase now for 'maybe' things later on. Who knows how much you will really get into it (you might hate it :lol:).

I almost sold all my gear and never gave it a good go.. imagine that.

15. wahoo84

wahoo84 Member

Go option 2 but maybe consider spending a tad more for a 85 f1.8 or 50 f1.4.

Whilst the 50 f1.8 is dirt cheap, you'll soon realise the build quality and focussing ability of the lens could prove less than desirable.

16. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I quite like the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 as a starter lens for people. It's not as fast throughout the range but it's sharp, built relatively well and isn't expensive.

17. OP
    OP
    rugae

rugae Member

I've decided to go with:

Canon 70D
    Canon Speedlite 430EX II
    Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

and when I have enough funds I'll play with a better prime:
    Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG HSM

Thanks for all the input, hopefully I'll be taking photos in the next month or so...

18. sold

sold Member

If you haven't hit the button already it's worth considering the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM.