1st timer in Bali - Nusa Dua. Tips?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Stooge007, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

hi guys

heading to Bali next week, staying in Nusa Dua for a week at the Grand Mirage - http://www.grandmirage.com/

we are getting the all inclusive package, so all food and alcohol included for the week, and have organised airport transfers in advance (i know a local taxi would be cheaper, but the transfers have baby seats included)

we are travelling with 3 young children, all under 5

we've never been to Bali before, any tips?

we don't really plan on leaving the resort (due to the small kids), but have been recommended having a seafood meal on Jimbaran Beach and perhaps taking a day trip out to Nusa Lembognan

wifey would be interested in cheap massage/spa treatments

not too interested in cheap market crap (Bintang singlets and trinkets etc.), unless they are really close by

we know to NOT drink the water/eat salad washed in water etc.

we will be bringing pills as a back up for vomiting/diarrhoea

we have been recommended to take serious mozzie repellant

any other hints/tips would be useful

thanks

2. mckonazz

mckonazz Member

Get some Bushman's w/ Deet - spray and roll on (i think its 80%). But most places will light citronella candles in your room as well.

If you want to go Jet Skiing (actual legit company, not dodgy beach dudes), do it in the morning, as we couldn't as the wind picked up.

With the kids, take them to Turtle Island. yes its a tourist trap (as everything is everywhere), but its not too bad for SEA.

I enjoyed Bali... just stayed in the villa, relaxed at the pool, and stayed out of the markets, tourist stuff. Went to the supermarkets as its always interesting to see what they're like.

3. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Wise to get transfers organised by your accomdation and not have to beat off all the taxi drivers. Take a bottle of colodial silver, any sign of an upset stomache have shot in bottled water, also handy for cuts. The mozzie repellant in Indonesia can contain DDT which is very effective. :lol:

As for tips, get the f out of the south of Bali. :lol: </jk> Watches and glasses are fake and lots of the sellers in the south are very crafty/shifty. Dont drive, if you have an accident, being a foreigner you will be at fault and drivers and a car costs less than $40 for the day. Avoid drinking spirits outside of the resort (not that I follow that advice but I know the owners of the bars I drink in over there). Sorry not that knowledgable on Nusa Dua.

4. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

Going to slightly hi-jack but heading there with a 11MO on Sunday also. First timers as well, staying in Holiday Inn Baruna which is directly north of the airport and looks very decent for free (IHG points).
    Wife is Viet and our son was born there, so most of the 'third world' type issues and even the mosquitos aren't even worth thinking abut as far as I'm concerned.

We haven't planned much, same as OP, wife just wants massage/hair/nails as she is missing out on the cheapness of these services in Australia. Besides that a bit of high end mall shopping and maybe visiting the elephant reserve up in Ubud if we can find time. I'm assuming most of the beauty type things are littered everywhere and she can work out the quality she wants compared to the local VN ones she visits back home.

My main question is ATM use, got the citi bank plus account cards loaded up and looking for the 'best' ATM brand to use to avoid the supplementary cost per transaction from the local operators. I have read Comm Bank is $2? Or is that customers only, is there any that are free or cheaper?

Many thanks

5. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Best bet is to take some cash and get it exchanged over there but not at the airport. Also visa on arrival is $35AUD per erson these days so have that on you. Most Indo ATMs have a withdrawal limit of 2.5 million ($250).

6. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

I saw a trip advisor forum post from the other week saying it was $47AUD so I'll just use a $50 it seems. Withdrawal limit is fine from ATMs, it is the same in other countries so just do multiple withdrawals if I ever need a large stack (doubtful).

Not interested in money changers, having to carry it physically from leaving home until you spend it the entire time doesn't appeal to me. I don't like leaving things with the hotel either, jewellery and iPads are bad enough but physical cash that hinge on you needing to enjoy your trip is too much of a risk for my liking.

7. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

why not change money at Sydney airport?

better rates in Indonesia?

i was just going to change A$100-200 at Sydney airport

8. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

Change your money at Kodak shops, you will get better rates. Always watch the money and never let them take it back from you. If you change it here you will be slugged fees and get shitty rates.

I only take cash when I go, never an issue.

Most if not all hotels will have a safe in your room to leave your valuables, you set the pin when you arrive.

There are commbank and ANZ ATM's in a few places.

If it looks dodgy, then it probably is.

Bali is great, like any other place in the world it has its ups and downs, everybody focuses on the downs, fuck them.

9. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I will check tonight, some family members just came back. About a month ago it was changed from $30 AUD to $35, or you can pay $25 USD. 2.5 mill is more than enough to last a few days and makes a wallet bulge. Bloody monopoly money. Always try and carry some small bills. As bsb said if you get money changed always watch the changer, most will count it out in front of you. Were I visit I have never worried about theft but the locals know my family. I used a CBA card in a local ATM and got slugged $11 for the priviledge. Some places charge extra for CC payment.

10. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

I went to Bali for the first time in June - long weekend in Sanur and Ubud. Lovely place, lovely people, fantastic food ... however crazy drivers, 20x higher road mortality and you'll understand why within the first 2 minutes of leaving.

Just one thing: Make sure to put aside 200k each person for the departure tax, stick it in passport or something. Note that this was increased earlier this year from 150k or so, and a lot of people will still quote the old number. This caught us out as we spent the last cash on drinks etc and we only just scraped in.

11. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Good point which I forgot to add. Also the departure area of the new airport sucks, food and drink is over priced and there a fu(k all seats. I have been told for 200k you can get into the airline lounges.

I generally declare something (cheese) arriving in Bali as the queue is shorter.

12. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Visa on arrival has increased to $35USD, so $50AUD should cover it. Departure tax is 200k.

13. sanjay

sanjay Member

if you arent even going to leave the resort, you dont really need any tips (other than the one about the visa on arrival fee and the departure tax).

get out of the bloody villa and check out ubud, its a pretty awesome part of bali. the rest of bali i could do without. I don't think i'll ever go back there, considering how many orders of magnitude better thailand is (and thailand is hardly more expensive to get to these days).

driving in thailand (phuket/krabi at least) is a hell of a lot less stressful than driving in bali, as well...although i didn't have a problem driving in bali at all (believe it or not, bali drivers are much calmer and less of a hatful of arseholes than australian drivers).

14. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Avoid Kuta. It's a cesspool.

Check out Ubud, definetely.

The beaches around Nusa Dua are really very nice, and it's generally a family friendly area (for Bali) that is totally catered towards tourists who want a relaxing beach holiday.

There'll be people wondering the beach sometimes trying to sell you stuff. Ignore them (unless you really want what they're selling I guess).

There's also a couple of cool temples you can go visit. I forget the name, but there's one in particular that's on a cliff that's quite amazing. Check out the 'fire dance' at sunset there, where you can overlook the ocean. It's a nice experience.

I wasn't impressed at all with the seafood I had at Jimbaran Beach - though I was alone at the time. It'd be nice with a couple/family I think. I may also have made a poor ordering choice.

15. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

Taking three small kids on any kind of day trip is a mission [emoji12]

Bali was a few hours closer than Thailand, so again less flying time with three small kids was the goal

16. Ezy2Confuze

Ezy2Confuze Member

Are the stories about local police being corrupt and wanting bribes real or just designed to scare first timers? I was thinking of going to Bali around Christmas but might go to Thailand instead, depending on what some friends have said about Bali lately.

17. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

Definitely true. My brother and GF were heading back to Kuta after surfing down at the bukit one day and were stopped by a corrupt cop. He didn't have his license with him, or enough money to pay him off, so his bike was 'impounded'. They went back under the cover of darkness and while his GF distracted the cop, he went and took the bike back. They made a clean getaway - brave, but dumb.

18. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I know lots of people that havent had a problem with the cops in Bali, I also know a few expats that it has been to their advantage (eg bribed their way out of jail after a fatal motor accident). I suspect most of the dodgy ones are in Kuta. For the record they dont get paid all that well and have to buy the position.

19. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

Visa was A$38, I paid in Sydney as I flew Garuda

Had to have exact money, and cash only, no card payments

20. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Forgot to mention cash only and need the correct amount. If you can be arsed and or staying longer than a month, get visa from the Indonesia embassy. One less line to wait in. Funny watching people not paying attention and queuing up in the wrong queue.