1st timer in Bali - Nusa Dua. Tips?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Stooge007, Aug 6, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

I bought some sunscreen with 20% DEET, haven't used it yet, mozzies haven't really been much of an issue at the resort

Have been drinking the water served at the resort (water jugs brought as part of table service), and no issues yet

Massages outside the resort (ie not rip off prices) are 50-60k ($5-6)

Fx rates are a LOT better here than at sydney airport. I got 8.8k or something, the resort is giving 9.5k and on the street you can get 10k+ for A$1. I only changed $200, so no big deal. If you're changing more, definitely change money here in Bali

2. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I suspect the resort would have a decent water filter. Over the past few years Bali has started to get a water service going instead of relying on bore water. The exchange rate on the street should be about 10,500+.

3. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

Yeah visa is now $35USD, which i had on my anyway. Immigration line was BS, we were waived through to the ASEAN line after about 15mins as my son was sleeping my my wife's arms so a guard came and got us. I think we should of gone in that line as they both had VN passports and I could of been stamped with them as a group, a small win either way.

Son was sick the first two days, throat infection, went to BMIC the first night around midnight, really good service, was about $80AUD. He got better on Tuesday and I started to get sick Wed night (fever/chills) fine the next day figured it was food/water, same again Thursday night... minor headache Friday morning.

We arrived back in Perth friday arvo, headache still there...by 9pm after several pills including some old forte i had lying around nothing fixed it which was now a 9/10 on pain. Was in the emergency by 10pm and pretty certain I have dengue. Headache stayed until the following lunchtime, i didnt sleep nothing made it go away, fever, chills, vomited twice (once at the hospital as i had 3 IV sites the doc couldn't get a vein) eye pain started saturday afternoon and still here a bit but at least i can open my eyes again now but everything else stopped overnight. Blood results back from QLD on Tues maybe but I'm pretty certain myself after having malaria and this was much much worse.

Dunno what the odds are, first time visitor, only got bitten about 3-4 times and boom!
    Hopefully will go back again in the future :thumbup:

4. fatang

fatang Member

In Bali at the moment. Visa payment was OK in Oz dollars, with change in Info Rupiah. We are using Citibank Plus in BNI Matari (?) And BRI ATMs All over the place - check Citibank.

For somewhere slow, old Bali and different try Amed - absolutely fantastic but please don't tell anybody.

Enjoy Bali can still be great!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  5. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

The north east coast is like the old Bali. Hope you do some diving at Amed!

6. hypie

hypie Member

Most importantly Bintang singlets shouldn't cost you more than $2AUD. If you are paying more than that, you aren't playing the game right :p

7. danyell

danyell Member

FFS, do NOT buy a Bintang singlet, you will drop in the esteem of every person you meet, bar those wearing or owning such a singlet themselves.

8. hypie

hypie Member

Clearly they are not made to be worn in public (would never be seen in one). I personally don't mind using them at night and then after as perfectly adequate rags.

9. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

Digging in a grave here - but to OP: How did you find the Grand Mirage?

10. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

it was good value, for what we paid (A$200/night per room - we had 2 adjoining rooms, including food and alcohol)

we were looking at going again, as they have some "new" family accommodation that can fit 2 adults + 3 kids in the one room, but haven't got around to it yet

rooms were OK, typical 3-3.5* here in Australia, but you won't spend much time in there really (unless you have young kids that need naps)

the swimming pool was of adequate size, wasn't huge but never felt crowded

the beach was OK, sand wasn't bad, water was slightly polluted/average (beaches in Aus are way better)

food at the resort was better than i was expecting, but not amazing. definitely try the Chinese restaurant at the resort next door (it's included i think if you have the all inclusive package). the Indo food was pretty good, but i've had better in Aus. the Western food was OK, typical suburban bar quality food

the beer was fine, the cocktails were good

never really needed mozzie repellant

the kids club was pretty sad, but there was usually other stuff/activities organised for them to do

any other questions, just shout out :)