1U copper heatsink to go onto a 9800 Pro, Will it be a problem?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by FearTec, Aug 6, 2004.

1. FearTec

FearTec Member

Hello

I have a Xeon 1U copper heatsink that I am planning to put onto a my 9800 Pro?

I am going to cut the heatsink to match the same size as the stock cooler and drill screw holes and bolt the card and support the extra weight of the video card if needed with wire to the top of the case.

Heatsink next to the stock cooler:

[​IMG]

Heatsink size:

[​IMG]

Heatsink height:

[​IMG]

Base Width:

[​IMG]

I wonder if the thickness of the copper block will be a problem or not (heat building up in the thick base)? I have 3x 120mm case fans blowing air around the card (+ a fan will be placed on the 1U copper block) so the heatsink will get heaps of fresh airflow.

Close up of the Fins:

[​IMG]

Also the fins are not soldered to the block, you can see the find dont make 100% contact with the cutout grooves in the block. Given that copper if 30-40% better heat conducter than Aluminium I dont think this will eb a problem (the 1U heatsink was designed for a Xeon 2.8Ghz CPU).

Ideas, Comments, Suggestions?

2. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

Heat won't build up in the base.

You said your going to cut it to size. By size i hope you mean "as big as i can make it while is still fits" rathen then "To the exact same size as the stock"

If Space isint an issue mount the fan ontop of the heatink rather then in it (buy cutting away the fins?). You want the air flow to mainy be directly over the core, and you want the fins directly over the core as well. Dont cut away those fins that you need the most.

Looks like a great mod! I wish you luck. You should be able to pull it off quite well :D

3. OP
    OP
    FearTec

FearTec Member

Yeah as big as I can make it :)

Good idea, dont suppose you know of a good quality, quiet fan that would go well on this would you ;) I wont be cutting the fins as I have seen many Socket7 Cooler mods go wrong with mangled fins.

My video card's ram has already been modded (Athlon cut up to make huge ramsinks). Now time to do the core.

[​IMG]

My OCAU PC Pics page

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  4. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

5. grimpanda

grimpanda Member

Don't think there would be a problem - as others have said, keep it as large as you can without obstructing any other components.

Leave the fins as they are - the more surface area the better, and perhaps consider having the fan blow air across the fins rather than directly down onto them.

Looks good other than that. Where did you get the 1U heatsink btw? Might make good ramsinks.

6. OP
    OP
    FearTec

FearTec Member

I have finished prepping the 1U Heatsink.

Cutting the fin spacers to ensure the fins stain in and straight when I cut the block.
    [​IMG]

Wedged 3 peices of cardboard between every fin (only did one here to save time for the photo).
    [​IMG]

Hacksawed the heatsink (because the fins were packed every fin was cut neatly).
    [​IMG]

Nice Straight Fins
    [​IMG]

Drilled the 2.5mm holes into the heatsink.
    [​IMG]

Tapped the screw threads
    [​IMG]

Screws and bits
    [​IMG]

Mount the screws
    [​IMG]

View of the screws and insulating washers
    [url]http://simon.fearby.com/temp/9800pro/1U/09_spring_insulating_washer.jpg[/url]

Original GeCube 9800 Pro stock heatsink and the new copper block.
    [​IMG]

Heatsink meet yuour new fan
    [​IMG]

Fan height
    [​IMG]

More fan/sink shots
    [​IMG]

Even more fan/sink shots :)
    [​IMG]

Next I will mount the heatsink to the 9800 Pro.

7. Kommando

Kommando Member

Nice, how'd you find out where to put the wholes on the new HSF?

8. OP
    OP
    FearTec

FearTec Member

A combination of

a) Measuring the stock HS

b) Used a traced paper cutout of the Stock HSF

c) Printed a scale photo of the 9800Pro to overlay the copper block to see where I need to cut grooves to give plenty of distance from resistors etc.

d) Guesswork.

I just hope it fits

9. power

power Member

recently set up several 1U xeon servers those heatsinks sure are impressive (and heavy)

good job on the mod FearTec

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  10. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

Looking very good :D

I have the exact same coolmaster fan sitting right next to me. Low profile, i like it.

good luck with the mount!

11. bucsta

bucsta Member

Any updates?

12. Myself2211

Myself2211 Member

I will put the fan on this week, I rebuilt my PC ready for benchmarking etc.

I will post results.

13. congoh

congoh Member

Impressive. I was thinking of doing something like this for my card.
    Was wondering how important it is to have fins.

I have a copper block I want to cut up but since it doesn't have fins there are no surface area to dissipate heat.

I was going to use a fan to cool it. Anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

14. power

power Member

the idea is that the hs dissipates heat quickly, which is a combination of the material, the surface are and the thickness of the material and possibly forced cooling (ie, water or fans) so just a lump of copper will make a pretty poor cooler, something with alot of thin fins on the other hand will make a very good cooler...

15. OP
    OP
    FearTec

FearTec Member

Hello

I have finished installing my Xeon 1U Copper Heatsink onto my GeCube 128MB 9800 Pro.

Please forgive the poor quality of the photos, I don't have a decent camera and I just used my Samsung E700 phone camera. I had the urge to install it at 1AM.

Picture of the card with the Vantec IceBerg 4 removed. I am not removing the GPU shim as my core is raised over the shim height and is in full contact with any heatsink I place on it.
    [​IMG]

Picture of the screws with nylon insulating washer.
    [​IMG]

Aligning the card over the cooler.
    [​IMG]

I screwed the 1U copper block onto the card and screwed as far as I dared. It seems to be on tight enough (I hope).
    [​IMG]

Another view of the mounted heatsink and my past custom ramsinks from an athlon cooler.
    [​IMG]

Mmmmm fins and more fins.
    [​IMG]

I had to remove one of my 2 PCI TV capture cards to install it but it is worth it. I will upgrade to a A64 3500+, 1GB 2-2-2-5 CAS2 Corsair Ram and a 939 mobo soon and I will have heaps of room.
    [​IMG]

I will let the arctic silver settle in over the next few days and then start overclocking again.

16. doomgirl

doomgirl Member

excellent job Feartec, if that thing don't cool your pc, then nothing will :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  17. HAVIC

HAVIC Member

Good job on that one :)

I still get a smile when I see them RAM sinks

Top effort :thumbup:

18. OP
    OP
    FearTec

FearTec Member

They look like the Opera House :)

Well the Vid card's GPU and Memory will be singing high notes soon when I continue to find the max overclock speed.

Without the GPU heatsink I could only overclock 5 mhz, now I am able to add an extra 15Mhz without artifacts (time to find it's limits and I only had time to over clock and extra 15mhz last night).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  19. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

have you thought of getting some electrically insulating but thermally conductive tape and putting a heatsink on the back, right behind the core?

nice job btw, i think you will see some improvement. thats voltmoddable cooling imho :) when are you doing them? ;p

20. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

That's nice. You've done well.