1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

2.1 Speakers

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Rabe, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Rabe

Rabe Member

Sick of these shitty 5.1 x-530s i have. Been looking at the swan m10s, but the only thing that bothers me is no headphone jack. Otherwise the sound quality for the size is apparently excellent.

Currently have a Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro, just wondering if there is any other options out there. Do not want a shitty Logitech system or the like. Looking for something with a bit more quality. ~$200 budget. Looking for bookshelf.

2. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

EXACT same dilema. I have the same speakers as you, and I want better.

Check out my other thread I made a while ago:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=903055

Wishing to get the same requirements, I made some suggestions there so that might help.

I've yet to purchase any new speakers as I just recently bought a car.

Those Swan Speakers look pretty darn nice, if you ever end up getting new sets of speakers and where let me know. I'll be watching this thread anyways.

3. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

If you can help it, don't bother using any jack on the actual speaker unit, best either getting an external DAC or just using ur soundcard. Although this would depend on your actual headphones. It's also probably best to spend that $200 on 2.0 speakers and add a sub later on. Don't really have any "recommendations" in that price range but i guess you could check out the Audioengine A2's. Goodluck

4. OP
    OP
    Rabe

Rabe Member

Headphones are audiotechnica AD700s, so not a horrible set. I looked at the audioengine a2s as well, not sure though - reading some reviews now.

Also, why shouldn't I be using the headphone jack on the speakers? And are you saying that I should be going behind my computer and plugging my headphones into the soundcard directly everytime I want to use them? Just to clarify.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  5. cosxochet

cosxochet Member

Would also want to know about this.

And also, the computer case headphone jack, which is connected to the motherboard. If you have a sound card, will this use the motherboards onboard sound or the soundcard?

6. miicah

miicah Member

It depends on what your case headphone jack header is plugged into. If it's plugged into the onboard which is disabled then you won't hear diddly.

7. spikes

spikes Member

Check out Altec Lansing, the FX6021 and MX5021 are some examples of great quality 2.1ch speaker sets :thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    Rabe

Rabe Member

Tried buying the swans today, the site said they had stock - got an email saying they wouldn't for 3 weeks and would I liked to upgrade to a set costing $150 more.

A2's at this stage are too expensive ($250), If i was going to spend that much I may as well go all out and buy sub and everything.

Still looking at this stage, the altec lansings again look more around the logitech quality, can't really trust reviews as most say the logitechs are "mind blowingly awesome"... which they aren't.

Have owned both the 2300s and the 5500s (still have these ones), and haven't been greatly impressed, pretty much just a set of speakers with as much bass as they can possibly squeeze out of them.

9. recoN

recoN Member

Tell me how you go, also interested in a decent 2.1 system. Just called their Australian distribution centre and they're going to give me a call when they get stock in (Oceanic Distribtion). Forgot to ask the price haha buut I'm guessing 150-200

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  10. yaphax

yaphax Member

i got the fx6021's 2nd hand from someone off the forums, they blow the pants off my old x-530's, and aren't too far behind my brother's entry level setup with dedicated amp + passive monitors except at high volumes...

but hard to find them these days...

also i disagree with the statement that "most reviews think the logitechs are awesome" - they usually acknowledge their shortcomings...

11. OP
    OP
    Rabe

Rabe Member

I agree not all reviews say this - but a lot say they are good speakers, and from experience I know they aren't good - just budget. Was just making a point that I dont trust reviews - would rather real world experience.

12. Ekin

Ekin Member

I short listed the edifier s330 because from the reviews that i've read, on a tight budget they blow away everything in the same price range. Everyone whos tried them seem to rave about them. They arent as popular because i dont think many places stock them.

13. OP
    OP
    Rabe

Rabe Member

Yeah one of the reasons they where on my list is my mate has a pair, and they are quite good, was shocked at how well they perform. But, would like something a bit different from my mate.

14. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

I'm confused.
    You're not buying speakers because they don't have a headphones jack? :confused:
    Why would speakers have headphone out? They're speakers.
    :confused:

15. OP
    OP
    Rabe

Rabe Member

Most speakers I have seen do have a jack.

Just an update, got the swan m10s and they sound better than anything I have ever had (including the shitbox z5500s). $159 delivered, great bargain, very happy with purchase.

16. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Where'd you get it from?

17. OP
    OP
    Rabe

Rabe Member

MyAV 2 days delivery.

18. chi

chi Member

I wonder how these will go up against decent real bookshelves, anyone in sydney have a pair i can audit?